• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Goretex Boots

I never found them to have good traction on grass or mud and they're dangerous on wet armour

The boots look good... but the minute you hit ice or any slippery surface you're going to be doing what I call the Penguin Jitterbug... taking babysteps and praying you don't land flat on your behind. They keep your feet warm if you keep moving, but if you stand still, they freeze up like hockey pucks. But they do keep your feet dry, thats for sure.

As for the Prospector boot paste, its not only for looks, but does also provide a weather barrier against water and the like. And makes them look snazzy... I've had mine for about 3 years, and besides looking stupid when walking on ice with them, I swear by them. Much more comfortable then the old combat boots we still have in the system.

One of the Threads here on this topic has the link to the "new" CWW boots soles.  The problem of slipping on ice is being remedied with the newer 'edition' of these boots.  I found that my Goretex Boots (Prospectors) did not slip as much on ice as the CWW Boots.

The goretex boots have more problems then perks as far as I'm concerned...

- Big clunky soles, particularly compared to the MkIII boots, which, for all their faults, my have broken in to the point of being slippers... I'm always terrified I'm going to trip and fall off wearing the goretex boots when you're scrambling around on top of a truck trying to arrange a pent-house. Keep expecting the soles to catch in somthing. Glued soles instead of stiched soles would be nice.

- The liner takes forever to dry, goretex is as good at keeping water in as it is at keeping it out. The boots are great if you're wearing them in one spot, and don't go over the top in water, but once you fill them, they're a write off for the next few days. Just sweating in them is enough to dampen them to the point where they're cold and ineffective. An uninsulated goretex boot with heavy socks would be better.

- In the winter, because the boot often traps sweat, the boots freeze overnight, and are difficult to put on/walk in in the morning.

- Slippery on ice. Yes, the vibram soles are durable, but is there any sense in having a sole that will out last the boot?

There are far better goretex boots out there then the Canadian army issued ones, if you're buying them civvy side, don't waste your money on the issued ones.

I much prefer my "old" combat boots with the addition of a vibram sole. The vibram soles that they put on the combat boots work better in cold weather than the ones on the WWB.
:cdn:

Back