• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Good reasons not to mix military and civilian kit

Seen a few people like that when I was in Petawawa.  Some kid wearing what I assume one of his parent`s CADPAT Combat/Goretex Jacket(not the rain jacket),  a woman wearing a CADPAT fleece in Moncion,  lots of small packs worn by both what I assume to be serving members and guys who were clearly civvies(long hair, beards, etc).

That. Is. Fucking. Awesome!

...lots of small packs worn by both what I assume to be serving members and guys who were clearly civvies(long hair, beards, etc).

Could have been operators back on HLTA...  ;D

True...or Arc'teryx. :nod:

I don't see a problem, I think it looks sharp.

* Borrows ObedientiaZelum issued rain jacket put on sweatpants walks out front door.*

ObedientiaZelum said:
[Mods I wasn't sure how to change the title url to just put "link" (removing swearing).]

Code:
[url=http://lookatmyfuckingarmybag.blogspot.ca/]link[/url]

That awkward moment when you recognize someone who taught you on that website, and all you can do is facepalm :facepalm:

Robert0288 said:
That awkward moment when you recognize someone who taught you on that website, and all you can do is facepalm :facepalm:

haha same

When I was in university I used to carry both my regular civie backpack and smallpack (stuffed with uniform and boots) to school on the day of parade night. Unit was close to school, which was 2hrs commute away from home. So I was definitely seen on campus in civies and wearing a smallpack.  :camo:

Edit to add: Other times I've done this: While on course, going to the gym after hour or travelling during weekend leave. I didn't bring my civie backpack with me.

The thing that is of interest, is that we have all done something like this at one time or another.  Waiting to see my mug on the site some day.  :warstory:

I don't get people wearing the small packs... Do you not own another back pack?

Don't get me wrong, whoever took the time to put the blog together has way too much time in their hands, but really what's the deal with small packs?

A few years before they started issuing the small packs I bought a decent tactical tailor 3 day pack. Originally I had it ordered in cadpat, but just before it shipped I called the seller and managed to get it changed to olive drab. I know it still screams army, but it slightly less foolish... My small pack has been taken out of the plastic, and used only for my plq course so I didn't stand out, but I haven't used it since, digs into my collar bone courtesy of an old injury...

It's a fairly crappy back pack, why wear it??? Do they not own anything better? Should we assume they just can't do any better?

Is there still a shortage of these things? I guess I should turn mine in, hasn't seen the slight of day in a few years, somone might need it to look cool.

Some people do have a good excuse.  Like going to work or those dudes in the tacvest actually practicing.  But the guy hunting with raincoat guy still has his slip on and name tape.

snasd17 said:
Wow, didn't realize that this was something that was so frowned upon.

There are policies that permit some limited use of kit mixed with civilian clothing, primarily the small pack; usually seen with young reservists commuting on a parade night.  CADPAT outerwear with DEU dress of the day, well...that's approved and since IECS (monochrome OD/OG107 for those not familiar with it) is gone, and the gabardine can look equally out of place/old school, the CADPAT DEU mix will be around for a while.

The other usages of mil kit is what gets some attention.  The guys in tac vests....really?  If you're out practicing at your local Rod & Gun club, do you really need a tac vest?  Why not go full out and buy a personal chest-rig to make sure you don't have to walk back to the club house to reload...heck, you're only half a step away from air-softing....might as well get into it.

Regards
G2G

Good2Golf said:
The other usages of mil kit is what gets some attention.  The guys in tac vests....really?  If you're out practicing at your local Rod & Gun club, do you really need a tac vest?  Why not go full out and buy a personal chest-rig to make sure you don't have to walk back to the club house to reload...heck, you're only half a step away from air-softing....might as well get into it.

Regards
G2G

The ORA runs CQB competitions that require some means of holding spare mags. This completion is open to civies and military. Many Reservists shoot these competitions. While many of us have aftermarket vests and pouches, some don't, and will use their issue vest. As long as they're out there shooting, I don't care what they are wearing.

BTW, thanks for denigrating one of my real shooting sports and dragging it to the level of airsofters.

recceguy said:
The ORA runs CQB competitions that require some means of holding spare mags. This completion is open to civies and military. Many Reservists shoot these competitions. While many of us have aftermarket vests and pouches, some don't, and will use their issue vest. As long as they're out there shooting, I don't care what they are wearing.

That would seem reasonable... :nod:...although then I would invest in a personal chect-rig that is far more functional that the tac vest, which, while a slight improvement over the horrendously crappy canvas load-bearing vest, may not be optimal kit for what the ORA comps do.

Regards
G2G

Good2Golf said:
That would seem reasonable... :nod:...although then I would invest in a personal chect-rig that is far more functional that the tac vest, which, while a slight improvement over the horrendously crappy canvas load-bearing vest, may not be optimal kit for what the ORA comps do.

Regards
G2G

Many do after they decide to commit to the sport. While they're test driving though, they use what they have.

I'm still a little bit confused as to what the issue is with having a duffel bag or backpack at an airport/train station.

Back