• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Good on ya Granny!

BernDawg

Inactive
Reaction score
Pulled this off the DIN from the Gleaner back East.
Dora Rae has wings.

They're a gift from Gen. Rick Hillier, chief of national defence staff, who thought the city nursing home resident deserved them after she parasailed Aug. 1 in the Kawartha Lakes.

It was the ride of her life, Rae said, recounting the airborne tour of Chemong Lake that lasted about 11 minutes.

What made it more notable is that Rae took to the air to celebrate her 89th birthday.

Lakefield Heritage Research representative Gord Young, a family friend, took a shot in the dark and told the Department of National Defence all about it.

Then, with a letter of commendation from Hillier and a set of golden parachute wings, Young went to Rae's home Monday and surprised her.

"Oh my," she said, adding she really didn't know what to say. "I certainly didn't expect to get anything like this."

The parachute wings are earned by Canadian military during their training.

The final jump involves a fall that lasts 10 minutes.

Hillier's letter states: "You are undoubtedly the embodiment of those qualities (of perseverance, courage and commitment) and serve as a great inspiration to all. Well earned!"

I hope I have that much chutzpa when I'm 89.

Back