• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Going back to St Jean

Thanks much MM. I'm still trying to come to grips with everything. Thought I'd be over this by now.

I'm on attached posting right now too. I was on AWT1. I was put on a 6 month category due to breaking my foot in 3 places. Today I went to see the doctor hoping to get my fit chit and get sent back to the Mea for course but the doctors at the MIR had other plans. He renewed my 6 month category because I have major nerve damage in my foot now.  :-[ Hope to get back there soon. Just wanted to let you know I can relate to your story. Keep a good attidue going and you will be back on course soon. I hope I will.

thanks.  Good luck to you with your category too.  What week are you going back to? do you have to start all over again?  When I do get back to the Mega, I'll be likely go to AWT2 then WFT, THEN platoon. 

AWT is the new acronym for PAT stands for Awaiting Training I believe.

I'll be going back to AWT1 then WFT then platoon. Probably week 1 because I have been injured so long. I came off week 6 so it kinda sucks.

AWT is Adapted Warrior Training, it's where the broken injured people go.  The number after it refers to the phase(1,2,3), AWT is done alphabetically, whereas WFT (Warrior Fitness Training) the phases are based on readiness.  Phase 1 being people new to WFT and phase 3 being those who passed their expres test and are ready for platoon.  Phase 2 is for people who have gone through phase one training and still haven't passed their expres test so are not ready for phase 3.

That does suck that you have to start all over again, I'm right there with you on that one.  I think the only thing we won't have to redo is the fire extinguisher stuff because we already have our cards for it and it's a yearly (?) thing.  I could be wrong... but the guy doing the fire extinguisher course usually asks who has done it before and if you raise your hand he tells you to go sit in the B129 waiting/ break area. 

Lil_T said:
WFT (Warrior Fitness Training) the phases are based on readiness.  Phase 1 being people new to WFT and phase 3 being those who passed their expres test and are ready for platoon.  Phase 2 is for people who have gone through phase one training and still haven't passed their expres test so are not ready for phase 3.

Do you know when they started the WFT phases? We had a few people join our platoon from WFT and I never got the impression that there were phases and such. It seemed like the newbs who were not ready were just thrown together with the people that were done their express test and waiting to go on platoon.

Whether this is new or not, it's a good idea. The Phase 3 people have passed the Express test so it's appropriate and safe to PT the crap out of them and get them ready for platoon, where as if they were still working out with the Phase 1 people they would be held back.

They've had phases for as long as WFT has been WFT.  The reason you don't hear/ know about it, is because most people are so sick of the process by the time they get back on course they don't want to talk about it.  Phase 3 is a holding platoon, at most the new people are on phase three for a week before being phased.  Mind you, it also runs the new people off their asses which is somewhat comical (I can laugh, I've been there and will be there again).  It is a bit of a motley crew at times, but it's a good opportunity to work out, get in better shape and make some friends.

The psp staff gradually work you to the point where you CAN keep up with them, they're an awesome bunch (a little sadistic but it's ok).  They're idea of "fun" is a little skewed endless plank sessions and such - but as long as they see the effort that you put in and you have a good attitude you are golden. I learned to love spinclass on warrior.

Anyway, I'm rambling, hope I was able to answer your questions.  Think it's time for bed.

Lil_T said:
Phase 3 is a holding platoon, at most the new people are on phase three for a week before being phased. 

I wish it was just a week.  My husband has been sitting at phase 3 WFT for the last 7 weeks.  According to him the platoons right now are so overloaded, that even when people fall off, there is little room to move people on.

I'm just hoping they get this straightened out soon.  It is really frustrating for all of us to have him ready and able for platoon but just no spots for him to go.

What I meant by new people are the people who are new to WFT.  I was there for 8 weeks +/- myself.  5 weeks total of WFT 3 and 3 of WFT 1.  The waiting is the worst part.  I hope your hubby gets on platoon soon.

The problem is, is that there's a degree of seniority that's involved - which is only fair.  Add to that the fact that they overload the courses - sometimes starting out with a platoon of 65-70 when there is only space enough for 60.  So unless there is a rare case of >15 people failing their expres test or wanting to VR right off the hop there's little room for people to move.  There was talk of a Warrior platoon being stood up if they had enough people. But that has to go through CFRG and everything to get approved because they have to leave a  slot open that new recruits could be taking up.  Logistically speaking it's a bit of a nightmare.  Believe me, I understand his frustration, and I'm afraid I'm going to have to deal with it again come July. 

Just a little update.

I've been avoiding the board a little bit, mostly because I don't have much to say.  But, as the dates draw closer to my return to St Jean I have to admit that I'm feeling more than a little apprehensive.  Not because I don't know what I'm about to face, but because I know exactly what I have to face.  I've been dealing with a lot these last (good Lord!) almost 6 months.  Between the leg, some issues at home, and the PTSD the social workers said I have, it's been rough.  Doing a LOT better now than I have in I don't know how long.  Truth be told though, thinking about my injury and how it happened still makes me want to vomit.  Only thing I can do is either A. try to desensitize myself to it, or B. muscle past the gag reflex and carry on when I get there.

On a lighter note - I'm RUNNING again.  Awkwardly still, but I'll take it.  I can run level 3 now.  I know it's not great, but all things considered - it's freaking fabulous.  Also, I should be getting my fit chit in May/ June right before I go back to St Jean.... provided everything with physio works out.  Hopefully I won't have to wait too too long for a course, but from what I can tell, there aren't a lot of serials running in July.

No matter, I'll get there, I'll finish - and I'll be damn proud to post the photos of my grad parade!!

Lil_T said:
No matter, I'll get there, I'll finish - and I'll be damn proud to post the photos of my grad parade!!

Looking forward to it, Lil-T!

Trust me I am in the same boat you are. I am getting my fit chit hopefully in July and heading back to st jean the 18th of July. I am a little more than apprehensive. I am scared shitless but I will do what it takes to get done and so will you Lil_T! Try to stay positive and congrats on running again! Every little hurdle is a step closer to grad!

and the PTSD the social workers said I have

Sorry if I missed it, but there was a point in your training when you believed that you were going to die?  Things are perhaps a bit too intense at St. Jean I think.

Oh, the relief...!

When I saw that you'd posted in this thread I was sure that it was going to be about the "muscle past the gag reflex" bit.

And while I'm on that subject, I'd like to compliment the entire male membership of this Site who have restrained themselves from commenting about that. I know that y'all wanted to.

Anyway, and back to topic, a significant injury is definitely going to give the average person some level of apprehension about repeating the chance of having a similar experience and I can understand her concerns, whether or not a proper diagnosis of PTSD has been made by competent authorities.

So, Lil_T, good luck, "muscle past the gag reflex", but please help us all keep this a family-safe sight by avoiding future temptations for those of us blessed with active imaginations.

zipperhead_cop said:
Sorry if I missed it, but there was a point in your training when you believed that you were going to die?  Things are perhaps a bit too intense at St. Jean I think.

I think you'd better take a look at the DSM-IV diagnostic criteria for PTSD.

Lil_T        Good luck with going back to St Jean I hope that it works out for you .

Cheers  Karl

Back