• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Go on SQ now or later?

GrassGreenPte.

Inactive
Reaction score
Just this past August I had to leave a SQ course because of an ankle injury. There's another course coming up soon on weekends (I'm a reservist), but I'm still wearing a brace and will have to when I'm on course to prevent further injury. Also, it was strongly suggested at physio that I take it easy for a few months. Naturally, I've fallen a little behind in PT. However, I'm under a bit of pressure at my unit to do SQ quickly so that I can go on to QL3 sooner. Complicating things is that I'm starting university now and am not sure if I could handle school+SQ.
I'm sure the answer should be fairly obvious, but while I know doing SQ now could lead to a) re-injury and b) falling grades, I also really want to prove myself somehow and live up to whatever seems to be expected of me by my superiors. That, and I can't go on exercise it seems unless I get my courses finished.

GrassGreenPte. said:
Just this past August I had to leave a SQ course because of an ankle injury. There's another course coming up soon on weekends (I'm a reservist), but I'm still wearing a brace and will have to when I'm on course to prevent further injury. Also, it was strongly suggested at physio that I take it easy for a few months. Naturally, I've fallen a little behind in PT. However, I'm under a bit of pressure at my unit to do SQ quickly so that I can go on to QL3 sooner. Complicating things is that I'm starting university now and am not sure if I could handle school+SQ.
I'm sure the answer should be fairly obvious, but while I know doing SQ now could lead to a) re-injury and b) falling grades, I also really want to prove myself somehow and live up to whatever seems to be expected of me by my superiors. That, and I can't go on exercise it seems unless I get my courses finished.

Listen to the doctors.

You don't want to aggravate and injury. It sucks, but you'll be much better off waiting to be healthy. Meanwhile, as you recover, keep doing PT on your own time. You don't need to be on course to be staying fit.

Take the time to heal properly. I had a serious ankle injury a few years ago and as soon as the surgeries, casts and crutches were gone I tried to go back to regular PT (I was reg force infantry). Since I pushed the injury too hard too fast there were further injuries, that eventually lead to a medical remuster. I still regret leaving the infantry.

Heal up properly and if SQ is something you really want then you will find the time and motivation to do it. I am sure there will be numerous opportunities to do it.

Much as I hate posts that say only "Ditto", I say ditto.  Get yourself healthy again.  The risk of re-injury, or worsening the existing condition, and the impact of that far outweighs any advantage to doing the course sooner.

Thanks. The part of my brain that is actually thinking clearly agrees. The rest I'll just have to beat into submission. And on the other hand, they're letting me do a QL3 refresher (obviously not being graded) with some of the privates and corporals, so when I finally do get around to my QL3s, I'll have a head start and a little practice. :)

I'm doing SQ and BMQ this year on weekends, I've heard it's real brutal along with university (im going to UWO 2nd year right now) as I already have to miss 2 weekends due to exams that i know about. on the other hand I am told some parts of training you can miss with premission. but if your an engineering student with like 35 hours of class a week, I'd say forget about it

Back