• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Global Warming/Climate Change Super Thread

I was in traffic the other day behind a Tesla (don't know which one) and it had what looked like a factory-installed hitch receiver.

Maybe they can tow a generator. :D
$1300 for a factory hitch, includes some software options for better towing.

I’m not sure where you’re getting 60%, here’s a list of warranties and they’re all 70. The leaf is a bit of an oddball with no thermal management, I think this is the last year that they’re making it.
It was from a study done on the average capacity reported on used EV's in the 8 year range. Keep in mind that because Tesla is the market leader in thermal battery management, that their vehicles will generally rate higher than that, and others like the Leaf below that. I find EV's interesting, but I just don't drink the Koolaid. I used to work on Hovercraft, love them to bits, but like EV's they are niche machines that do some things very well, but are being oversold and over pushed by regulators that do understand the consequences of their actions. Don't underestimate the impact of insurance rates or coverage. Batteries unlike gas release very energetically and are susceptible to spontaneous fires and there is often no way to predict which battery will fail. If Insurance companies identify a trend of expensive fires after X years, guess what the value of your EV is at that time?

Don't underestimate the impact of insurance rates or coverage. Batteries unlike gas release very energetically and are susceptible to spontaneous fires and there is often no way to predict which battery will fail. If Insurance companies identify a trend of expensive fires after X years, guess what the value of your EV is at that time?
bigger fire but much, much less likely:

bigger fire but much, much less likely:
According to Transport Canada, about 10K vehicle fires per which is higher than I thought. Whether EV fires are more or less prevalent per capita I guess remains to be seen. Not so much a "bigger" fire, but certainly more difficult:

"Up to 150,000 litres to extinguish EV fire"

According to Transport Canada, about 10K vehicle fires per which is higher than I thought. Whether EV fires are more or less prevalent per capita I guess remains to be seen. Not so much a "bigger" fire, but certainly more difficult:

"Up to 150,000 litres to extinguish EV fire"

Basically every EV fire makes the news but nobody cares about regular car fires, which are surprisingly common, so it skews perceptions.

Basically every EV fire makes the news but nobody cares about regular car fires, which are surprisingly common, so it skews perceptions.

You can put a gas car fire out, with normal equipment. In reasonably short order. It is basically just a fuel fire.

A thermal run away on an EV battery, not so much. Lots of times all they can do is let it burn for hours until it eats itself. Then there are the toxic fumes venting all over the place.

Maybe that's why the advertise them. Whatever pollutants it kept out of the air when working, is massively overwhelmed and magnified by the crap it's spewing into the air till it burns itself out.

Just like a burning wind tower.

A back-of-envelope calculation I did based on my driving habits and some mileage/energy figures available online indicated that overall electricity would be cheaper than gasoline (1/4 cost, and that was before recent gasoline price increases) and would double to triple my electricity consumption. So I expect EVs to be cheaper to operate just purely in terms of "fuel" cost, but someone has to produce the energy (or else the price of electricity is going to go up as demand increases, and the "fuel" cost savings will be eroded). Since that's all new capability (infrastructure) required, it's a sizeable capital cost that has to be absorbed by someone. For now, the novelty and sparseness of the EV fleet hides the difficulty of the path.

A back-of-envelope calculation I did based on my driving habits and some mileage/energy figures available online indicated that overall electricity would be cheaper than gasoline (1/4 cost, and that was before recent gasoline price increases) and would double to triple my electricity consumption. So I expect EVs to be cheaper to operate just purely in terms of "fuel" cost, but someone has to produce the energy (or else the price of electricity is going to go up as demand increases, and the "fuel" cost savings will be eroded). Since that's all new capability (infrastructure) required, it's a sizeable capital cost that has to be absorbed by someone. For now, the novelty and sparseness of the EV fleet hides the difficulty of the path.
I suspect that “hides the difficulty” bit is about to leap out into the open with various utility companies across Canada in the next year or so.

I already know of several relatively new sub-divisions in Edmonton that cannot get 200 amp service. The grid is maxed out.

There are clever ways around it like slaving your car charger to either your electric stove or dryer circuit (both are 240V), but you won’t be car charging while either of those two are running (they get preferred for power draw) , which means likely at night.

This has implications for grids that want to run on solar or even wind. Cue nuclear power…unless you want run your electric car on natural gas or coal….

Like I said, the current grid can't handle it. California even told people to unplug their cars because of brown and black outs. Even here, I think I read 10 plug ins at the same time in a regular city block is all the current infrastructure can handle. The cost of the new infrastructure will be rolled into your electricity costs. Once there's enough EVs out there the price will skyrocket. Beside the crazy price on electricity and on the cars, you'll have to upgrade your home to plug in.

Nobody yet has been able to show me where I'll save enough on an EV to offset the costs of my gas burner.

Fossil fuels are going nowhere. They are here to stay.

Last edited:
Like I said, the current grid can't handle it. California even told people to unplug their cars because of brown and black outs. Even here, I think I read 10 plug ins at the same time in a regular city block is all the current infrastructure can handle. The cost of the new infrastructure will be rolled into your electricity costs. Once there's enough EVs out there the price will skyrocket. Beside the crazy price on electricity and on the cars, you'll have to upgrade your home to plug in.

Nobody yet has been able to show me where I'll save enough on an EV to offset the costs of my gas burner.

Fossil fuels are going nowhere. They are here to stay.
You’re leaving out key parts in your California example. They’re asking people not to use major appliances and EV during PEAK DEMAND. Total demand isn’t an issue, peak demand is. And most people charge their cars at night, when they’re home and it’s not peak demand.

You’re leaving out key parts in your California example. They’re asking people not to use major appliances and EV during PEAK DEMAND. Total demand isn’t an issue, peak demand is. And most people charge their cars at night, when they’re home and it’s not peak demand.

Anyone can right an article and say pigs can fly. But I know they can't, at least not without some good drugs.

That's with 563,000 all electric vehicles on the road in California. California has 15,000,000 cars registered. They are also banning small gas engines for lawn mowers and chain saws. California has been having power issues for years. 20 years ago when I was trucking they were having rolling blackouts.
They haven't fixed their problems in 20 years then how are they going to handle 1.7 million new EVs per year. You will be forced to buy a EV and not be allowed to charge it. They have the same 2035 ban on new ICE cars we do.
This is basically a lesson in “don’t take your 12-year-old-car to the dealership for power train work”. An ICE at the dealership is also ridiculous, that’s why nobody does it. You get a used one or you get a rebuilt one.

Where can you get an aftermarket battery? What shops will tackle replacement? How bad will they screw it up? Also that particular battery is discontinued, yes those people who bought that expensive HYBRID are now screwed.

Where can you get an aftermarket battery? What shops will tackle replacement? How bad will they screw it up? Also that particular battery is discontinued, yes those people who bought that expensive HYBRID are now screwed.
You’ll note the skill requirements to install this are on the low side. A bunch of bolts holding it in and ~5 cannon plugs. Substantially less work than a gas engine.

You’ll note the skill requirements to install this are on the low side. A bunch of bolts holding it in and ~5 cannon plugs. Substantially less work than a gas engine.

I won't use rebuilt parts in any job unless the customer supplies them and I state in the bill I'm not responsible for rework. Rebuilders and remanufacturers only replace the bad parts and many don't do it well. I used to but I got quickly tired of doing my job twice. An $8000 used battery found on the internet that claims warranty you would likely never would be able to actually receive if needed. You can take that gamble, not me.

As for the install, I've seen lots of simple jobs F-ed up big time. I've seen lots of shops refuse to fix those screw ups. On something like this at least with a dealer you can call corporate and or get the media involved. Small shops you don't really have that leverage

I won't use rebuilt parts in any job unless the customer supplies them and I state in the bill I'm not responsible for rework. Rebuilders and remanufacturers only replace the bad parts and many don't do it well. I used to but I got quickly tired of doing my job twice. An $8000 used battery found on the internet that claims warranty you would likely never would be able to actually receive if needed. You can take that gamble, not me.

As for the install, I've seen lots of simple jobs F-ed up big time. I've seen lots of shops refuse to fix those screw ups. On something like this at least with a dealer you can call corporate and or get the media involved. Small shops you don't really have that leverage
Then we’re back at the same problem as an ICE; it’s ridiculously expensive to get a new engine at the dealership.

Then we’re back at the same problem as an ICE; it’s ridiculously expensive to get a new engine at the dealership.

Rebuilding an engine is something I can do and control the quality. I have done many in my career and had no failures yet. I have little reservation about offering warranty on my work. The only reservation I do have is ending up doing a job over for free because of substandard parts. Even trusted parts suppliers make mistakes sometimes. A shop I worked at was bitten by a John Deere rebuild once that way. It was 100% a faulty part.that the installer had no way of seeing.

There are load shedding/energy management EVSEs (the charger is in the vehicle). Most are aimed at multiple charge points like condos but I believe you get them at the home owner level. Either way, for most it would likely mean you vehicle would only charge at max rate in the night.

If and when EVs reach some unknown level of market penetration, governments will have to figure out a way to replace the lost revenue from taxes on fuel. Right now, charging at home only generates (!?!) HST in Ontario.

There are load shedding/energy management EVSEs (the charger is in the vehicle). Most are aimed at multiple charge points like condos but I believe you get them at the home owner level. Either way, for most it would likely mean you vehicle would only charge at max rate in the night.

If and when EVs reach some unknown level of market penetration, governments will have to figure out a way to replace the lost revenue from taxes on fuel. Right now, charging at home only generates (!?!) HST in Ontario.
You can get devices now that attach to your meter and only charge when your load for the entire house is low enough, in case people have a smaller service and try to charge while roasting a turkey, drying the laundry, and having a shower. It’s basically aimed at people have smaller panels and the load calculation won’t allow them to install another circuit. Though for a lot of people, a regular outlet is good enough. Painfully slow but they’re not using enough in a day to need a faster charge.

Back