• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Give them ALL medals

M

Master Blaster

Having served on both sides of the Canadian/US border and racked up a serious selection of gongs, dongs, bells and whistles, I find it somewhat disappointing to hear the fragging about what should or should not constitute a medal of ‘Worth‘.

Most americans that I served with, while still proud of the ribbons they wear, see the ribbons on their fellow soldiers as more of an instant resume than an indication of valour or bravery. A solid 3 or 4 ribbon rack on a S/Sgt with the appropriate campaign and qualification ribbons will indicate to anyone else that served during the same time period a commonality to share and discuss. When looking over the ribbons of a senior staff officer that has driven a desk and/or keyboard most of their military career it‘s quite easy to determine whose the soldier and who isn‘t.

Canadians and for that matter most of the soldiers of the Commonwealth have for the most part restricted medal giving to those who have served in ‘campaigns‘ as a matter of recognition. It‘s the way the canadian military has chosen to recognise their soldiers. I respectfully suggest that we start to change some of that by recognizing skills as well as campaigns by having more gongs and dongs (keep it clean!). It may seem like it minimizes the entire concept but I would argue that in a time when we are desparate to retain soldiers, we look at new ways to acknowledge the trained skills of our soldiers.

Positive reinforcement will go a lot longer if you can show your peers that your skills are recognised by your superiors.

Just an opinion of an Old Soldier

Dileas Gu Brath

I agree with you ref/skill recognition. The Warrior Program back in the early/mid-90‘s was, while not perfect, at least a step towards indicating whether or not a soldier knew one end of a C-7 from another. I don‘t really know why they got rid of the Warrior qualification badge, but rumour control states that it died because it made those who didn‘t make the grade to "feel bad" :eek: about their failure, seeing their peers wearing this qual. If that‘s true, if that mindset has creeped into NDHQ (I was posted there - it has...if the place has a mind...) we can forget about any sort of recognition of skills.

With ref/gongs. I‘m in a remuster only trade, and on my course, the average medal count was three per person, and rising. If you get the tour, you get the medal. If you save the baby from the burning building, you get the medal...eventually. I saw in the Maple Leaf (no comments about that paper) that a fellow who received a Mention in Dispatches took SEVEN years for the decoration to be approved, and presented to him. I hope that‘s not an indication of the worth that NDHQ places on individual achievement and/or bravery.

What I really don‘t want to see is what I saw in the States many moons ago. I stopped at a USAF base in North Dakota, and hit the Air Police section for directions. The Airman at the desk had four ribbons on his chest. Nice enough fellow, so I asked him what they were for....Basic Training, National Service, Achivement Medal, Foreign Service (he was in Canada on Ex for two weeks....). He had something like one year in the military. Geez...depressing...

Back