• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"girl pushups"

boomer38

Inactive
Reaction score
So I was wondering about other peoples opinion... I do not have any weights at home and at the moment I do not have enough money to go to a gym. I can do about eight pushups currently. One of my friends who works out suggested I start with "girl pushups" to increase my upper body strength... any one else have any opinions as to if this is a good Idea to start or not, I can do 25-30 "girl pushups" currently.

Personally, I wouldn't start with "girl" push ups.  I would just concentrate on doing as many proper push ups as I could, each time I do them.  Something you can consider is spacing them out throughout your day (e.g. doing sets of 10 a few times a day).

There are several threads stickied at the top of the Physical Training & Standards subforum.  Browse through these and I'm sure you'll see links to proper push ups and methods for increasing your numbers.

IMHO, girl pushups are good tool in the box, especially for beginners. They should be utilized in the same way you'd use negative (or otherwise assisted) pullups.

First, max out on strict pushups with proper form.

Then, max out on "girl pushups" and planks.

They're useful in making incremental gains past the point where you'd normally reach muscle failure, or the point where you've started to plateau in the number of reps you can do.

OK!! OK! I'll bite.....before I continue thinking this is something kinky......

What's a girl pushup?

GAP said:
OK!! OK! I'll bite.....before I continue thinking this is something kinky......

What's a girl pushup?
It's when a girl does a push up.

:rofl:

Sorry, it's this:
kneepushup.gif

Technoviking said:

Oh......did I walk into that one...... ;D

But, even that is kinda kinky, it just like............. :)

Technoviking said:

Uhhmmmm ... NOT!!  :mad:

And below, her hands are too far apart (shoulder width maximum) to be very effective at accomplishing much.

I personally spare my knees the discomfort by getting on them only for the important things in life --- pushups doesn't qualify.

Sorry, it's this:
kneepushup.gif

tree hugger said:
Like praying, right?  Don't get the boys going!

Nah, being an athiest and all --- and a girl --- I was surmising something more akin to scrubbing the kitchen floor.

ArmyVern said:
Nah, being an athiest and all --- and a girl --- I was surmising something more akin to scrubbing the kitchen floor.
Oh, you know the way to a boy's heart, don't you? ;D

Thanks for that hundredpushups link Techno..

Would be nice to try this out! Since I can only do like 15 =\

Well, as someone who has gone through some low-cash spurts, I can tell you, the gym isn't all it's cracked up to be. And I used to be a trainer!

Get yourself a skipping rope... it's pretty much the only tool you need to get started.

Skip for 3 minutes, then do 10-20 pushups, 10-20 situps, and then 10-20 bodyweight squats. Do that 3 - 4 times in a row. It's a great warm-up and or workout for beginners.

As for the girlie pushups... You'll find that once your full body weight isn't in use they become MUCH easier. So, Don't just do a girlie pushup, try pushing your upper body right off the ground (hands too) Almost like you were pushing yourself up into a kneeling position then back down again.
This exercise works very well, even for more advanced people.

Your best bet to improve the amount of push ups you can do is to do both of them.

Do as many regular push-ups as you can, and then when you get to failure keep pushing yourself at the point of failure (don't just collapse as soon as it gets hard).

Then, when your muscles can no longer lift your entire weigh, go to push ups on your knees which are less weight and do them until you are at failure, too.

The goal to getting better at anything, particularly strength training, is to maximize the amount of time you spend tearing the muscle fibres (if you can do 8, the first 6 are useless other than getting you to the point of 7-8 when you are struggling).

Don't forget other things like nurtition and rest, either.  After you do them, max out on protein consumption, and if you do a few sets in a day, take a few days off to allow the torn muscles to rebuild using that protein.  If you do push ups all day every day you will see a slight increase but your muscles will never fully recover and your gains in the long run will be less.

"Girl" push ups?  Pfffft:

SeeThat.jpg

THIS IS A JOKE!  DO NOT TAKE SERIOUSLY!

In all honesty, NATO women rock!
main.php

Technoviking said:
You see that?

As the Unit Ethics Coordinator, I have had to now take that all around and show everyone...for the purpose of showing them the kind of thing that is not allowed.

But in order to do that I had to show as many people as I could so they could see the not-approved standard.

Eye in the Sky,

Best one spotted in KAF was one we called "Reaper Chi...Pilot".

Lil_T said:
LMFAO!  Wow - inappropriate or not - I'm still laughing.
Hey Lil_T.

Glad you see the humour in that.  (Of course, the army isnt' for girls, or boys for that matter.  It's for men and women.  "Girl" pushups have no place!  I think you agree)

And the pic is funny, appropriate or not ;D

Oh yeah, I damn near choked on my pizza. 

Totally agree too.  "Girl" pushups have no place in the military, go ahead and try to get away with one in front of the PSP staff (esp, on WFT, J would totally kick someone's ass over that - and so would I).  ;D

Back