• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

GG Visits Her Canadian Forces in A'stan

Edward Campbell

Army.ca Myth
Subscriber
Donor
Mentor
Reaction score
This report, reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions (§29) of the Copyright Act from today’s Globe and Mail web site, is “breaking news:”

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/jean-encourages-soldiers-to-stay-the-course/article1280980/
Jean encourages soldiers to stay the course

ggafghan_219001gm-a.jpg

Governor-General ends whirlwind tour of Afghanistan by praising work of Canadian Forces

Kandahar, Afghanistan — The Canadian Press
Wednesday, Sep. 09, 2009 03:59PM EDT

Governor-General Michaëlle Jean has wrapped up a two-day whirlwind tour of Afghanistan, where she's encouraging Canadian soldiers to stay the course in helping better the lives of the Afghan people.

Ms. Jean, honorary commander-in-chief of the Canadian Forces, says she's saddened that there is any debate at all over whether Canada should be helping the country's less fortunate.

She says the suggestion it's a “lost cause” hurts her deeply.

Ms. Jean was moved to tears on a number of occasions, most notably when visiting the war memorial at Kandahar Airfield and when she talked to a nine-year-old Afghan girl who lost a leg in a bomb blast.

During her visit, which was kept secret for security reasons, she told soldiers the good work they are doing in Afghanistan would not be forgotten.

The Governor-General says it's important that Canadians understand the value of the work both the military and civilians are doing.

Good on HE.

Bad on CP: she is NOT the honourary commander-in-chief; she is the C-in-C, on behalf of HM.

Awhile back someone asked if she would be wearing other element's uniforms.

[quote author=BYT Driver]
I wonder if she'll wear and Army or Air one when she comes to their parades and ceremonies ???
[/quote]

It looks like the GG is well turned out in those photos.

E.R. Campbell said:
This report, reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions (§29) of the Copyright Act from today’s Globe and Mail web site, is “breaking news:”

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/jean-encourages-soldiers-to-stay-the-course/article1280980/
Good on HE.

Bad on CP: she is NOT the honourary commander-in-chief; she is the C-in-C, on behalf of HM.

Good on her for this trip to visit the troops, but please tell me that those are not scabbards covering those bayonets in the first photo......

No they are not scabbards, The blades are dark, you can see the hole near the tip of the blade that the pin on the scabbard fits into to use it as a wire cutter.

The local (Ottawa) CTV news programnme just repeated the honourary commander in chief rubbish.

Hello!?! CF public affairs branch!?! Anyone awake over there?

NFLD Sapper said:
I would guess that of a General......

Purely speculation, but I would disagree.  She is not an enlisted soldier like the majority of us on these boards.  She is not bound to the NDA etc...  By all rights, she is a figure head for the queen in our government, and therefore in control of all things political in Canada (one could even extend that to ALL things in Canada).

This being said, I can't see her wearing the rank of General, as that is not her rank or position.  I couldn't fathom a guess at what rank she wears on her slip on however, as there is no CF rank for her position.

EDITED TO ADD:  I just saw the video and it would appear as though she is wearing a blank CANADA slipon.

Whether HE had the appropriate insignia on a CADPAT AR slip-on I would not know, however she could have been wearing "Commander in Chief" insignia.  IIRC, it is a representation of the "crest of the Arms of Canada" (a gold lion wearing the Royal Crown and holding in its right paw a red maple leaf, standing on a wreath of the official colours of Canada) - this is what would be on the shoulder strap of the GG's uniform if in service dress.  The rank insignia is detailed in dress instructions, however I don't have access to a copy at present.  She would also be entitled to wear "Colonel" rank insignia in her roles as HCol of three different regiments.

The crest as seen on the GG's flag:

GG-Standard.gif

The only frontal photo of HE on her website does not provide a clear view of the slip-on.

Blackadder1916 said:
Whether HE had the appropriate insignia on a CADPAT AR slip-on I would not know, however she could have been wearing "Commander in Chief" insignia.  IIRC, it is a representation of the "crest of the Arms of Canada" (a gold lion wearing the Royal Crown and holding in its right paw a red maple leaf, standing on a wreath of the official colours of Canada) - this is what would be on the shoulder strap of the GG's uniform if in service dress.  The rank insignia is detailed in dress instructions, however I don't have access to a copy at present.  She would also be entitled to wear "Colonel" rank insignia in her roles as HCol of three different regiments.

The crest as seen on the GG's flag:

GG-Standard.gif

The only frontal photo of HE on her website does not provide a clear view of the slip-on.

Here it is....

SECTION 2
RANK INSIGNIA AND
APPOINTMENT BADGES

THE COMMANDER-IN-CHIEF COMMANDANT EN CHEF
1. The Governor General of Canada holds the
appointment of Commander-in-Chief of the CF. In
this capacity, the Governor General wears:

a. a flag/general officer uniform of any of the
three environments, as appropriate or
desirable;

b. a flag/general officer hat badge; and b. un insigne de coiffure d’amiral ou de général;
et
c. the following appointment insignia (see
Figure 3-2-1):

(1) special flag/general officer sleeve braid,
embellished with the Governor
General’s badge (the crest of the Arms
of Canada); and

(2) a large, embroidered Governor
General’s badge on the shoulder straps
or boards, the badges to face forward
(see, for comparison, the smaller metal
badge used by the Governor General’s
Aides-de-Camp, Section 7, paragraph 15.).

Thanks all.... my head just about exploded when I read the word "honourary".  Now I can return to sanity......

Here is another picture of Her Excellency during her recent visit to Afghanistan.

dip05-michaellej_219644gm-e.jpg

She is shown cheering up a seven year old Afghan boy who lost a leg in an IED blast.

Here is a video of HE's visit.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/video/governor-general-visits-troops/article1281117/

Back