• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

GG Spending

If there is one thing one learn here who knows what is in the costs. Everything is seems when cost are announced or found out is what is the angle of the one doing the announcing. Did the catering include just the outside contractor? Or was in it also the whole cost? With personnel, equipment, fuel and indirect costs deprecation, pensions and overheads etc. The whole government accounting is so infuriating.

Also what are the motivations. The GG overspending is really not a problem for the Liberal government all they have to say is look the GG overspent.....we will stop that. And they just lower GG budget. This is a win for them. The PM is not a fan of a GG stealing some of the spot light.

If opposition is the one complaining they can just say see the government overspent! Elect us we know better.

Then there is the Canadian public....the super cheap bastards that we are. "Look the GG is living in the lap of luxury on our dime and is not even elected." I would bet her salary that Canada has the cheapest head of state office in the world. (Britain covers the big stuff we cover the visits and a body in the office, a pile of bricks and some security.)

Anyone know what the PMO costs are for protocol, travel and housing vs the GG office for the same?

I dont think Canadians would mind the money if they thought the juice was worth the squeeze. But I would wager your salary Joe 2x2 cant tell you what she accomplished on that trip. Hell, I cant tell you what she accomplished and I drink black coffee.

I dont think Canadians would mind the money if they thought the juice was worth the squeeze. But I would wager your salary Joe 2x2 cant tell you what she accomplished on that trip. Hell, I cant tell you what she accomplished and I drink black coffee.
There is nothing to be accomplished. The GG is just a baked in part of the system.

The GG, I would say does very little planning and zero about where to go.

There is nothing to be accomplished. The GG is just a baked in part of the system.

If there is nothing to be accomplished in the trip, then why does the trip happen ?

If there is nothing to be accomplished in the trip, then why does the trip happen ?

What the PMO said was the purpose of the trip:

March 14, 2022
Ottawa, Ontario

The Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau, today announced that the Governor General of Canada, Her Excellency the Right Honourable Mary Simon, will travel to the Middle East for working visits from March 17 to 23, 2022.
The Governor General will visit the United Arab Emirates (UAE), Qatar, and Kuwait. In each of these three countries, she will meet with Canada’s ambassadors, Canadian Armed Forces members deployed to the region, as well as heads of state and other senior leaders of the three countries to strengthen our bilateral relations. In these times of uncertainty around the world, bolstering relationships between countries is of utmost priority.
While in the UAE, the Governor General will represent Canada and be a guest of honour at Canada’s National Day at Expo 2020, in Dubai. Her Excellency’s attendance at Expo 2020 will help promote Canadian leadership, innovation, and opportunities throughout all sectors of society while highlighting the importance of collaboration across countries and cultures.
During her visits, Her Excellency will take the opportunity to thank the governments of the UAE, Qatar, and Kuwait for their pivotal role in evacuating Canadians and Afghans from Kabul since August, as part of global evacuation efforts from Afghanistan. While in Kuwait, in her capacity as Commander-in-Chief of Canada, she will also tour Camp Canada at the Ali Al Salem Air Base, where she will meet with members of the Canadian Armed Forces stationed in the country in support of Operation IMPACT. In Qatar, Her Excellency will meet with Canadian Armed Forces personnel stationed at the Al-Udeid Air Base.
This will be Her Excellency’s second visit abroad since becoming Governor General of Canada.

What Rideau Hall said was accomplished done:

Governor General ends successful visit to the Middle East​

March 23, 2022
OTTAWA, Ontario—Today, Their Excellencies the Right Honourable Mary Simon, Governor General of Canada, and Mr. Whit Fraser completed working visits to the United Arab Emirates (UAE), Qatar and Kuwait. At a time of global unrest, the visit highlighted the value and necessity of diplomacy and global co-operation.
In the UAE, the Governor General met with His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice-President and Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai, and other government officials to deepen our strong bilateral relationship and to discuss our shared core values of diversity and inclusion, and tolerance.
At Expo 2020 Dubai, the Governor General met with His Excellency Sheikh Nahayan Mabarak Al Nahayan, Commissioner General of the United Arab Emirates for Expo and Minister of Tolerance of the United Arab Emirates. Leading the Canadian delegation, Her Excellency delivered remarks at Canada’s Official National Day Ceremony. Also at Expo, standing united with the people of Ukraine, she stopped at the Ukraine pavilion to leave a written message of hope that read, “ajuinnata, never give up.”
Her Excellency also engaged with students at Canadian University Dubai and took part in a question-and-answer session that focused on the importance of international collaboration and women’s empowerment.
In Qatar, the Governor General met with His Highness Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, Amir of the State of Qatar, and His Excellency Sheikh Khalid bin Khalifa bin Abdulaziz Al Thani, Prime Minister and Minister of the Interior of the State of Qatar, to strengthen the warm bilateral relationship between our countries. She had the opportunity to discuss the future of education at the Qatar Foundation. As commander-in-chief of Canada, she also engaged with Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) members stationed in the region to demonstrate support for the work they do abroad.
In Kuwait, Her Excellency met with His Highness Sheikh Mishal Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah, Crown Prince of the State of Kuwait, and His Highness Sheikh Sabah Khaled Al-Hamad Al-Sabah, Prime Minister of Kuwait, to discuss shared values and our commitment to upholding international law and enhancing regional security. She visited Sadu House to learn about the rich and diverse woven textile heritage of Kuwait, and to discuss preservation, education and innovation with Kuwaiti women. She also visited Camp Canada to meet with CAF members engaged in Operation IMPACT, the military component of Canada’s whole-of-government approach to the Middle East.
During her visits, the Governor General took the opportunity to thank the host governments for their role last year in assisting Canada’s evacuation efforts from Afghanistan.
“Diplomacy is about making connections between individuals that can help transform or strengthen bonds between countries. This important visit to the Middle East came at a time of international uncertainty and conflict. Every word, action and intention can help build a better world.”
- Governor General Mary Simon

How do you measure diplomacy?

You're quoting the wrong guy.

I questioned the quote below.

You're quoting the wrong guy.

I questioned the quote below.
Sorry I just being a little flippant.

But in things like this I don't think there is any really measurable outcome or accomplishment. And I am not saying that they should not be done because of that.

My main point is as a Head of State the GG office is cheap in totality. And a few expensive trips are not a huge deal in the big picture. I believe we as a country should use the GG more in international and national functions that are mostly nonpolitical or nonpartisan. If done right I would rather see and hear a speech from a GG above the fray at remembrance day or July 01 than a PM. The GG would be better than the PM to say open the Olympic games etc...

Sorry I just being a little flippant.

But in things like this I don't think there is any really measurable outcome or accomplishment. And I am not saying that they should not be done because of that.

My main point is as a Head of State the GG office is cheap in totality. And a few expensive trips are not a huge deal in the big picture. I believe we as a country should use the GG more in international and national functions that are mostly nonpolitical or nonpartisan. If done right I would rather see and hear a speech from a GG above the fray at remembrance day or July 01 than a PM. The GG would be better than the PM to say open the Olympic games etc...

No biggie homes. You can shoot from the hip with me.

I thought we had a thread on the GG already but I couldn't find it. Feel free to redirect if I missed it.

From the article linked below:

According to documents submitted to the committee, first reported by the National Post, Simon and her passengers ran up a roughly $80,000 tab for food costs during the trip.

Passengers had access to nearly $1,000 worth of Flow boxed water, GBP£1,683 — or more than $2,800 — of an unknown quantity of beef Wellington with red wine jus, and 420 euros ($604) of an unknown quantity of ice cubes, among other snacks and refreshments.

“The costs of the catering were unacceptable,” Christine MacIntyre, the deputy secretary to the Governor General of Canada, told the committee.

You'd think they would learn...

Some lovely snippets from the report:
Canada’s taxpayers are livid after it was revealed that Governor General Mary Simon spent $71,000 on a limo service during her visit to Iceland last year.
“The amount paid to Icelimo would have covered the cost to purchase – outright – a 2012 Dodge Challenger limousine, with enough money left over also to pick up a 2011 Lincoln Town Car limousine,” the CTF report states.

It further notes that one of Simon’s limo rides was between Hotel Borg — where she stayed with 15 others — and the Harpa Conference Hall in Reykjavik for the Arctic Circle Assembly.

A look at Google Maps shows that this is a nine-minute trip by walk and takes seven minutes by car.
The Iceland trip adds to a string of issues Canadian taxpayers have had with Simon. The CTF has also cross-checked other receipts of her travels.

“In March 2022, Simon’s weeklong trip to the Middle East cost taxpayers about $1.3 million,” reads the CTF’s statement. “In October 2021, Simon brought along her husband and 31 others for a four-day trip to attend a German bookfair, which cost taxpayers about $700,000.”

CTF says its review of receipts showed that Simon and her entourage spent over $100,000 on in-flight catering during the Germany trip alone, ordering luxurious items like beef Wellington and apple-stuffed pork tenderloin.

Even on the Iceland trip, someone spent US$603 on a “beef steak bourguignon with mashed potatoes” and US$238 on “mousse with crumble and strawberry sauce” – all during the flight.
Sigh

So there is a lot of stupidity that can be seen here with her entourage. Optics are everything in politics, so I have no idea who thought this was a good idea.

That said:

Iceland is an island in the middle of the fucking North Atlantic. It's going to cost a fair bit for services that are comparatively cheaper in Canada (especially when you own a fleet of them yourself). The CTF using the purchase price as a comparison is stupid.

Additionally, catering services at airports are a racket. They have you by the balls, especially if you're a small order with special items. You also get raked across the coals if you're a last minute request without a contract with that airport.

All this paints both the political/HoS class as misappropriating asshats (and in some cases rightly so), but also shows just how stingy and miserly the Canadian public is about how the government spends money.

I doubt our Southern neighbours would bat an eye at a similar expense from Air Force One, but alas, we nickel and dime every expenditure; regardless if it has no bearing on the day to day function of our nation.

The effectiveness of your diplomacy is measured by the influence it had (or didn't have) on protecting your interests.

So there is a lot of stupidity that can be seen here with her entourage. Optics are everything in politics, so I have no idea who thought this was a good idea.

That said:

Iceland is an island in the middle of the fucking North Atlantic. It's going to cost a fair bit for services that are comparatively cheaper in Canada (especially when you own a fleet of them yourself). The CTF using the purchase price as a comparison is stupid.

Additionally, catering services at airports are a racket. They have you by the balls, especially if you're a small order with special items. You also get raked across the coals if you're a last minute request without a contract with that airport.

All this paints both the political/HoS class as misappropriating asshats (and in some cases rightly so), but also shows just how stingy and miserly the Canadian public is about how the government spends money.

I doubt our Southern neighbours would bat an eye at a similar expense from Air Force One, but alas, we nickel and dime every expenditure; regardless if it has no bearing on the day to day function of our nation.

Canadians are rank amateurs when it comes to effective statecraft.

The sort of hot you would fund at a towns end...so not very

Good in a scrap though, I bet ;)

Loop Yes GIF by DreamWorks Animation

Including the cost to airlift an armoured limo, a spare, the State Department's 'war wagon' and lord know what other parts of the entourage. The US doesn't 'do local' for their Head of State.

Back