• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Getting separated need help with paperwork?

misratah500 said:
What is a mandatory separation period? I've never heard of that and the lawyer didn't mention anything about that. She has said "no contest" to spousal support. She doesn't want any. But the lawyer seems to think some sort of spousal support will be awarded on paper. But if she doesn't want it, the courts can't make me pay it. Only she can actually go and complain its not getting paid.

Were not married by the way, were common law with a 3 year old. I don't know if that separation period is for actual marriage or not? Can you clarify.

Fair enough. I just quickly Googled this site (http://www.common-law-separation-canada.com/common-law-separation-Canada.htm) and got a bit more info...I didn't know that if you were Common Law the separation period didn't apply. That's a good thing...being 'separated' can sometimes be a bit of a negative label.

I have the number of a good lawyer. He is on the pricey side, but in the end my ex-husband could not touch my pension.
If you want it, PM me and I will give it to you.

Go to the BOR to change your status. I had to do a stat dec before they would change my status, but it is worth it in the end.

Best of luck

Pensions, savings accounts and spousal support (aka equalization) are not under the purview of the CF. Nor is child maintenance. All fall under Family Law. Other than getting her removed as a spouse/dependent/beneficary on your CF pers file, your orderly room can not provide the services you require. You need a Family Law lawyer. And word to the wise: ensure she has independent legal advice before signing any agreement. Otherwise, the agreement may not stand if challenged in court at a later date. 

misratah500 said:
Were not married by the way, were common law with a 3 year old. I don't know if that separation period is for actual marriage or not? Can you clarify.

Common law isn't the same as marriage. Different laws apply and differ from each province. The following link may help you out: http://www.common-law-separation-canada.com/

A separation period only exists for divorce. With common law, the relationship ends when you split up.

Back