• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Getting In?

jwsteele

Inactive
Reaction score
Here's my question...I always hear or read that between JTF2 and CSOR now that these units are taking away some of the best soldiers from the regular units...but ultimately the decision on whethere someone can apply or not rests with the CO's sponsorship right?  What happens if the CO just doesn't want to let his better soliders go?  The applications say a minimum of two years service is required...so what if a new private with alot of potential to be a great soldier and a candidate for special ops decides he wants to try out for one of the special units?  Can the CO of his unit just say no?

http://www.csor.forces.gc.ca/en/recruiting_e.asp
http://www.jtf2.forces.gc.ca/en/recruiting_e.asp

Ref: CANFORGEN 129/06

4. ALL CF PERSONNEL WHO MEET THE PRE-REQUISITES CAN APPLY AND SHALL BE PERMITTED TO COMPLETE THE APPLICATION PROCESS DESCRIBED HEREUNDER FOR SERVICE WITH THE CDN SPEC OPS REGT. THE COMPLETE APPLICATION FORM AND REQUISITE DOCUMENTS SHALL BE SUBMITTED TO THE CDN SPEC OPS RECRUITING AND SELECTION (RECR AND SEL) CELL. CO S MAY ANNOTATE THE APPLICATION FORM WITH THEIR COMMENTS SHOULD THEY HAVE ANY CONCERNS OF AVAILABILITY OF THE MEMBER TO ATTEND TRAINING DUE TO OPERATIONAL COMMITMENTS. HOWEVER, THE COMPLETE APPLICATION FILE MUST NEVERTHELESS BE SUBMITTED FOR CONSIDERATION

No, the CDS has directed that applications WILL be submitted.  CO's can only annotate the application.  If it is known that a CO has deliberately witheld an application, there would be repercussions.  A member who submitted an application that never made it to the Regiment would have recourse to initiate a Redress of Grievance, and there are only two levels of Redress now, 1st - Unit CO, 2nd - CDS.  It wouldn't take long for the CDS to find out if this occurred.

2 years minimun service is exactly that, the minimum service qualifications.  No 2 years, no application.

G2G

Ummm, not quite:

Ref:  CANFORGEN 052/07

TO THAT END, I HAVE DIRECTED THAT A SECOND DIRECT ACTION COY AS WELL AS SPECIFIC SUPPORT AND HQ ELEMENTS BE ESTABLISHED WITHIN CSOR IN 2007. THESE ELEMENTS WILL BE READY FOR OPERATIONAL DEPLOYMENT IN EARLY 2008. THIS GROWTH MUST, HOWEVER, BE BALANCED AGAINST OTHER OPERATIONAL REQUIREMENTS RELATED TO THE FORCE GENERATION OF TASK FORCE AFGHANISTAN. THEREFORE, CSOR GROWTH WILL COMMENCE IN APRIL 2007 WITH RESTRICTIONS ON APPLICATIONS FROM LAND FORCE UNITS. THESE RESTRICTIONS WILL BE LIFTED ON 1 OCT 07 FOR ARMY MEMBERS WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THOSE SPECIFICALLY NAMED FOR TASK FORCES PREPARING FOR DEPLOYMENT. DETAILS OF THESE ADJUSTMENTS AND ANY OTHER SPECIFIC RESTRICTIONS WILL BE PROVIDED IN A FURTHER CANFORGEN TO BE PROMULGATED SHORTLY

I believe that the first reply was talking about JTF selection which is where that CANFORGEN belongs to where as CSOR your CO has authority to stop applications...correct me if iam wrong

The first poster referred to both CSOR and JTF-2... Hence my "not quite"...  ;)

Teddy, I do not know the exact particulars of how the applications are being "restricted" (per: 052/07) i.e. is it LFC CO's who are keeping applicants files on hold until 1 Oct 07 (or later if an LFC soldier is designated on an upcoming TF) or are applications still being taken by CSOR but messages for selection will not be cut for untasked LFC members until after 1 Oct. 

I believe the point to be made was that once the CDS' direction regarding temporary restrictions placed on applications has passed, a unit CO would not be able to selectively choose to halt a particular soldier's application to CSOR.

G2G

I have read Canforgen 052/07 and am wondering if I requre a VOT to join the regiment. I have looked around and my MOC is not listed in CANFORGEN 129/06. I am hard sea and do not know where I would fit in without a VOT.

Pose this question to the recruiters. There is a link for them at the CSOR Website

you would remain in your trade - as hard sea.  you will fit in fine, as you will have done the course with your fellow soldiers and airmen.  no VOT required, as it is not a trade.

I can't help but wonder how the navy types might do during the selection process....seeing as how the army guys would have such a huge advantage when it comes to ruck marching...weapons..field stuff etc etc.  Does anyone know what percentage of navy guys actually make it through?  Just curious.
C.O.D.

A little off topic with my original post, but I'm just curious.  If JTF-2 is the top special operations unit in the CF and CSOR is the second are there many JTF-2 guys moving to CSOR?  I would assume CSOR is a natural feeder for JTF but I wonder how many JTF types would rather be in CSOR.

CallOfDuty said:
seeing as how the army guys would have such a huge advantage when it comes to ruck marching...weapons..field stuff etc etc.

I am not sure how...it is not rocket science. Anyone who is motivated and fit enough to complete the first couple weeks would have no prob learning how to live in the field.

And given the nature of the course, those with the knowledge have better teach those who don't or they will not be on the course long either.

I don't mean to go a little off topic but this is the best spot I figured to ask this question. After talking to the unit clerk and due to some confusion I may be declared NES. Although I have put in for a ED&T form as of today so hopefully I'm not already NES. So my question is would having an NES on your record be a hindrance for applying to CSOR or JTF2 even though it should have easily been avoided and wasn't really my fault.

ONT said:
I don't mean to go a little off topic but this is the best spot I figured to ask this question. After talking to the unit clerk and due to some confusion I may be declared NES. Although I have put in for a ED&T form as of today so hopefully I'm not already NES. So my question is would having an NES on your record be a hindrance for applying to CSOR or JTF2 even though it should have easily been avoided and wasn't really my fault.

You have already posted this in one spot..we frown upon making multiple posts of the same subject...probably much like most units frown upon personnel being NES....

I posted it under the NES topic but this seems like the better spot to get an answer from someone who would have a better idea of special operations. Sorry for repeating it.

Back