• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Get the name right!

just to point it is the American‘s who changed it and have it wrong if you go by correct English. Back in the mid 1800‘s they changed a lot of words like colour etc..... and lef-tenant is one them.
Like I said, how is it spelled? I don‘t see an ‘f‘ anywhere in it in any country. The explanation I heard from a British ‘leftenant‘ was that they just didn‘t want to sound French. Counldn‘t argue with it, but still tried to call him ‘lieutenant‘ as much as possible.

As for color (not to mention honor, harbor, and a few others I can‘t remember right now) we just got rid of all those extraneous ‘u‘s y‘all had all over the place since we can actually pronounce the letter ‘o‘. It was just part of our overall clean-up of the American (oops, I mean English) language.

"We have ways of making you pronounce the letter ‘o‘."
"I have no idea what you‘re talking aboot, eh?"

sgt.shmedly102

there‘s no "f" in the spelling, its spelt the same way as you americans spell it

its like a silent f or somthin

that would be correct

I‘m not an english pro as you can tell

It probably has its origins in Latin or Germanic like so many other words in English, French, German etc.. Or perhaps it came from Olde English. :p

OK, so it‘s an invisible ‘f‘. I just keep thinking of Constable Frazer from ‘Due South‘. It‘s funny when you canuks say something British since you sound so American (no offense) most of the time. [ :) ]

And I don‘t know where the ‘r‘ in Colonel came from; how would you pronounce it otherwise?
Co-lo-nel?
Colo-nel?
Colon-el?

Reference the rank of Colonel, why don‘t we simply submit a new name for the rank ? Since most Cols are career oriented a$$holes, let‘s just remove the last 2 letters... and guess what: it‘s makes perfect bilingual sense !!! ;)

I remember reading somewhere that the "aboot" that Americans hear in "about" has to do with a sound in Canadian English which actually indicates that the ‘U‘ is there. Since American English has no equivalent sound any more, it is heard as the next closest equivalent, which is the "oo" sound. There was a lot of fancy linguistic stuff to back it up too, if I recall correctly, but I don‘t remember it all.

It sounds reasonable to me because most Canadians have heard about the "aboot", and most of us can hear a definite difference between "aboot" and "about". Usually at that point, we conclude that you haven‘t got a clue, and go merrily on our way. ;)

Muckle.

As far as I know, that‘s a Scots English term, for "great" or "big".

As far as a Disney term, you must be thinking of "muggle", from Harry Potter.

I remember watching Mike Bullard one night, and an American wrote into the show to say that Canadians where stupid because they had u‘s in some words. Mike made a comment along the lines of how can we be dumb for having [/i]more letters and spelling things correctly... He then went on to put up cue cards, each showing words with an extra u, like harbour, and colour, He then put up one that said "Fouck you Neighbour", and kept on stressing the ‘ou‘ in Neighbour.

It was rather quite amusing.. but maybe you just had to see it for yourself... ;)

Back