• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

German Army - No tents, no vests, no mukluks....

pbi said:
Personally, I was very happy to see the change from our grab-bag collection of field clothing to the Clothe the Soldier line of kit. Our old cold weather stuff was designed for cold and dry such as in inland Arctic areas, not the cold and wet you encounter in far more of the world including Canada. As FJAG notes, lying in an OP or ambush could get very soggy and frozen.

As for the combat coat, the "boxing gloves" and the early rainsuits...the less said the better.

When I was working alongside the US folks in Afghanistan in 04/05, my impression was that our line of  field clothing was better than what they had, and as far as I could see far better than the other Coalition nations.

You left out heavyweight combat pants. When it came time to trade up to CADPAT, my old heavyweight combat pants were as pristine as the day they were issued to me never having been worn once.  ;D

:cheers:

In September 1964 I had just been appointed the Intelligence Officer of 1 RCHA. (It was not as much an intelligence officer as what we now call Operations office, but that's a distraction.) Sunray stuck his head in my office and said something like let's go to the QM Stores.

There we were the first people to be issued combat, like one pair of boots, one heavy set of pants, two shirts and a jacket. I still wonder if Kurt Meyer wrote the specs for the ants when he was our guest in a Canadian slammer.

Old Sweat said:
In September 1964 I had just been appointed the Intelligence Officer of 1 RCHA. (It was not as much an intelligence officer as what we now call Operations office, but that's a distraction.) Sunray stuck his head in my office and said something like let's go to the QM Stores.

There we were the first people to be issued combat, like one pair of boots, one heavy set of pants, two shirts and a jacket. I still wonder if Kurt Meyer wrote the specs for the ants when he was our guest in a Canadian slammer.

"ants"?

???

" Specs for the ants..."

I think he means Meyer was designing eyeglasses for his parent's female siblings. You gotta do something to pass the time when you're a bored Nazi war criminal, right?

pbi said:
" Specs for the ants..."

I think he means Meyer was designing eyeglasses for his parent's female siblings. You gotta do something to pass the time when you're a bored Nazi war criminal, right?

:facepalm:

Back