• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Geomatics Technician (merged)

m_a_c

Inactive
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me about the Geomatics Trade?  What kinds of postings are there?  Do they do any other types of engineer taskings besides map stuff?  Where does the course take place Gagetown or somewhere else?  How long is the course?  Thank you for your help. 

I beleive that the course is at MCE in Ottawa. Not too sure about complete employement but we did have one guy at CFSME to teach surveying.

Last I heard, once selected for the trade, members are sent to Carleton University for thier training (I believe it was Masters level).  Postings include NDHQ and all the brigade headquarters (and I would imagine other locations).

Jobs include producing maps of different types for different purposes, simulated area fly-throughs, country briefs, sataliete maps & images, etc.

a lot of money in that trade outside of the military

we must be struggling for the officers

Does anyone know who to contact for re-mustering from Artillery to 3 FES in Ottawa's Geomatics section. Is there any info available? Contact numbers.

thx.

p.s- Yes, I know, contact the recruiting centre. Just looking to have a few questions answered.

On the www.recruiting.forces.ca it lists a trade called Geomatics Technician  (GEO TECH). It says that it's only open to CF members with QL 4 in another trade.

I was QL 4 qualified as a 512 Airframe Tech back in '95 while I was in the Air Reserves. Would that qualify, even if I am otherwise considered an untrained recruit? (I have to do BMQ again when I go in.)

I also have some experience in the area of geomatics as I have lectured in college on the use of XML and Dynamic Web Languages in the GIS context.

tikiguy said:
On the www.recruiting.forces.ca it lists a trade called Geomatics Technician   (GEO TECH). It says that it's only open to CF members with QL 4 in another trade.

I was QL 4 qualified as a 512 Airframe Tech back in '95 while I was in the Air Reserves. Would that qualify, even if I am otherwise considered an untrained recruit? (I have to do BMQ again when I go in.)

I also have some experience in the area of geomatics as I have lectured in college on the use of XML and Dynamic Web Languages in the GIS context.

Sorry serving members only and come on you are talking about being qualified in a trade that doesn't even exist anymore.

On another note: 17 months of training, damn!

It's a moot point but, even though 512 doesn't exist anymore, I do have a related college diploma, 2 years university, 5 years work experience in Computer Sciences (both teaching and doing) and have lectured to geomatics students, so it's not like I'm trying to weasle in "unqualified". It's not so outrageous a proposition, is it?

17 months training is nothing. All totalled, I have 10 years of post-secondary education.

But like I said, it's a moot point since I am not a serving member yet. But I'll keep it in mind for down-the-road.

All said, Big Thanks to kincanuck for the tremendous contributions to this board.

Geomatics  - Definition - "The science and technology of gathering, analyzing, interpreting, distributing, and using geographic information"

Hello,

I have a number of questions regarding the Geomatics Technician position within the Military Engineering Branch of the Canadian Forces.

Before I begin I should say I am a 28 year old male with a Geography Degree and a Post Grad Certificate in Geographic Information Systems.  I have been working as a Geomatics Technician in Toronto for a 1 year.

I am very interested in joining the CF in a geomatics capacity.  I visited the recruitment office in Mississauga, but was disappointed to find that there was no more literature or information other than what can be found on the CF website, and those working there were not too helpful.  Other than being told that my best option was to join as an officer, not as a NCM. 

I then emailed the recruiting office in Toronto only to be told that the Geo Tech position was for existing members only; only to be given a slightly different story from a different recruiter but I did agree my best option was to join as an officer.  I know the Geo Tech is a fairly obscure position and Geomatics is a relatively unknown subject so I understand why the recruiters I talked to couldn't give me a totally straight answer because of a number of different factors.

Are there officers working in a Geomatics related capacity?
If I were to apply as a DEO could I reasonably expect to work on Geomatics tasks/projects?

The recruiter I spoke with on the phone was a bit evasive on these subjects, and I've read a number of posts which indicate when you enlist you give your top 3 preferences(?) of what you'd like to be doing.  I have to admit I wouldn't even have a 2nd or 3rd preference.  If I were to join I'd like to be confident I'd be working within my field so that if I were to leave the military, I would be leaving with skills and experience within my chosen field.

Anyone with advice or info would be greatly appreciated.

I dont know about officers in geomatics but on the NCM side GEO TECH is only open for ocupational transfer by serving CF members.  If a recruiter told you different....he's out to lunch.

Officers working in Geomatics are a small sub-group of Combat Engineers. You would have to start in that classification, and hope to eventually move into one of the Geomatics positions.

http://www.recruiting.forces.gc.ca/media/pdf/24_en.pdf

If you have not seen it already, this video is probably of interest:

http://www.armee.forces.gc.ca/lf/English/6_1_1_1.asp?id=685

Ok well I just spoke with another recruiter who informed me that Geo Techs are consodered on a case by case basis.  If I have a degree and am working in that occupation outside the military I can be considered.  So I'm going for it.  :threat:

I am a member of 3FES and the unit would more than happy to answer any of you  questions about remustering. Just call the orderly room.

Chimo!

The trade is an Occupational Transfer.  However, reservists have become regular force geotechs if they hold a related degree and are currently serving in the reserves.  There is a reserve geotech trade that is been up and running for almost a year now with 3FES in Ottawa.  As for officers, it is not totally necessary to be an engineer.  There have been numerous Air force Officers and there is currently an Artillery Major employed in leadership roles.

Back