• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

General Hillier's Legacy (split from:Top general fights to cut the fat in the Forces)

The number of PYs for Infantry Battalions (Reg Force) is limited to 5394 all ranks.  This does not cover all Infantryman and Infantry Officer PYs: several are external to the battalions, such as at training institutions, HQs, etc.  With that number, and with 9 infantry battalions, that translates into 599 PYs per battalion, plus 1 extra PY in each of the 3rd battalions, and this is for the Jump Master (not required in the other battalions).

With only 599 PYs/battalion, that means that there are 3 "shadow" rifle companies, with equally "shadow" HQs, Sp and Admin Coys.  If we went to six battalions, not only would we be able to BPT conduct our 4 lines of operation, but it would also provide "PY-Room" for reintroducing capabilities that many consider missing from the Infantry.  These include integral indirect fire support and integral mobility and counter-mobility support.

To illustrate, if a Force Employment Infantry Battalion were deemed to be 1100 (not far off of the model), then 501 reservists and other augmentees are required per battalion.  With 898 regular members in a six-battalion model, then only 202 augmentees would be required (including an all-reserve fourth rifle company, as per the model).  Why it would never go this way is because, for some reason, we need 9 battalions.

The fallacy is in the optics of the Managed Readiness Plan.  If you look at it, you would be led to believe that 2 PPCLI deployed to Afghanistan once: on TF 1-08.  Guess who formed rifle companies for Op Apollo in 2001/02, TF 3-06 and TF 1-07?  That's right, 2 PPCLI.  And I'm sure there are other occasions. 

But, as I said before, I'm only a comissioned corporal, so it's all good, and the pay still comes twice monthly.

The Psy Ops remark was not literal... I think I know that Psy Ops are an OPERATIONAL assett/capability

Its like people saying we have to win the PR battle... Your not literally in a battle with the public.

I did reply earlier but it did not take.

dapaterson said:
That was Boyle, not Baril.

Yes, you are correct.  It was Boyle I was thinking of in that instance not Baril.  My bad.  I'll leave E.R.'s comment on Baril stand on it's own merit as I agree with it.

dapaterson said:
The excess of Infantrymen will not "adjust itself" in the near future.  It impacts every trade that is short right now and will continue to do so for the next decade - since reduced recruiting today for those trades due to the infantry overage means the training pipeline won't meet their requirements for years beyond. 

I will agree to disagree with you on this.  Of course your idea of near future might not be the same as mine.  I'm thinking of a couple of years.  While this situation does have immediate impact on how many of this and that the different trades have access to, I do believe it will sort it'self out in the near future.  As can be attested to by those who are members of, the Cbt Arms uses people up quicker than most other occupations.  Over the next couple of years it could reasonably be expected to see a number of folks leave for various reasons such as retirement, injury, remuster and not finding peacetime soldiering to their taste after the drawdown in the sandbox.  And IIRC there is ongoing at present an attempt to entice Infantry types over to the Navy.  I daresay that in my time scale of thought, most of this problem will have  been sorted out more or less.  And as I said earlier, this give an opportunity to make a case for increases in the establishment, manning wise.  Maybe my head is up my butt, but I do feel that it will get sorted out.

jollyjacktar said:
  I'm thinking of a couple of years. 

During that couple of years, the infantry has an overage to fill line numbers from. Other trades suffere from compounding : They lose people to attrition and are unable to recruit and train replacements. Not being able to train replacements now means that there will be a shortage of members capable of filling supervisory roles in a "couple of years".

CDN Aviator said:
During that couple of years, the infantry has an overage to fill line numbers from. Other trades suffere from compounding : They lose people to attrition and are unable to recruit and train replacements. Not being able to train replacements now means that there will be a shortage of members capable of filling supervisory roles in a "couple of years".

I'm sorry, I must be thick as shit.  Yes, there will be some short term pain here and there.  But there are over 100 trades in the CF to spread it amongst.  The Cbt Arms will not hold onto the 1000 spots for the entire period, they will lose numbers (hopefully quickly) over this time frame and the pain will ease.  We were jammed to death for the 90's, while shitty, the sky did not fall in and life carried on.  Life will carry on for the rest of us too.

jollyjacktar said:
  We were jammed to death for the 90's, while shitty, the sky did not fall in and life carried on. 

Yup and several trades, including my own, were an inch away from colapse as a result. You should come see the experience gap in some of the air tech trades, all result of the 90s.

And that lasted years, more than two,  to bring that about.  I don't honestly see this will have the same impact over the whole structure.  I still believe this will correct in a bearable time frame.  And, your trade survived nevertheless.  It will again.

MCG said:
Pedantic point here but – the infantry is overmanned by 1200-1400 soldiers.  The number of positions is relatively fixed and “extra” positions do not exist.

True - my mistake.

We have failed to give due attention to our institutional organizational structures to repeatedly answer the strategic question of “how many riflemen belong in a battalion?”.  We have finally reached a point were the establishment of every infantry battalion (with one exception) is the same across the country.

Actually, the opposite is true.  I did a line-by-line look at Unit Establishment Reports and not 1 battalion is the same in terms of officers and NCMs, infantry or otherwise.  In fact, very few companies are similar in organization.

Technoviking said:
The fallacy is in the optics of the Managed Readiness Plan.  If you look at it, you would be led to believe that 2 PPCLI deployed to Afghanistan once: on TF 1-08.  Guess who formed rifle companies for Op Apollo in 2001/02, TF 3-06 and TF 1-07?  That's right, 2 PPCLI.  And I'm sure there are other occasions.

I termed this a "force generation gap"; and it's real.  You wonder why no battalion has been able to mount an entire battlegroup by itself since 2002?  Because our management of butts and seats is generally poor and we need to do the same scrape every tour.  At the macro-level, a force gen/force employment split makes sense in that it allows sub-units to be moved where they are needed.  However, at the micro-level the gap cannot exist; a variation in sub-units means you have to juggle.  What's the purpose of "force generation" if the same soldiers are being shuffled about to fill different CFTPO numbers?

My 2 cents anyways....

There is another factor to consider when discussing the MOC imbalance issue.

Many of our undermanned trades are not considered very attractive both by new recruits and by those who are currently in said trades.  I'm thinking naval ops trades specifically here.  (I don't know much about the other trades in this situation so my comments are directed exclusively towards naval ops trades).  In my opinion, we need to do a heck of alot more then just reduce the overmanning of the infantry to repair naval ops trades in duress.  Guys in those trades are leaving in droves.  During my time in Victoria, many of the sailors I met were trying to VOT to combat arms because they were convinced they would have a better life.  We treat our sailors like absolute crap.  We have fancy recruiting videos that look pretty sexy from a Navy point of view, but we keep losing guys out the back door.  If we want to fix trades in duress we need to carefully examine why these trades are not popular.  We need to treat our people better, we need better leadership; all of the things that Hillier represented..

Another point.  Many tech oriented trades that require a minimum of level 2 security clearance for basic MOC training are suffering, not because of lack of recruits but rather, because their recruits spend 3 years on PAT platoon waiting for a security clearance.  You should see how many guys are stuck in Kingston waiting for their clearances for courses.  Streamlining clearances would go a long way to fixing SOME trades in duress.

As for General Hillier.  He gets max props from me.  If it were not for him, and some other factors, our organization would be in complete shambles right now.  Nobody is perfect, but as far as I am concerned he is the absolute best CDS we have seen in a long time, and likely for a long time to come.

We like to complain about staff bloat and the dot coms.  But, from my experience working in a HQ, we tend to have too many guys sitting around when nothing is going on, but then, all of a suden something serious goes down, and we dont have nearly enough guys to do the job in a timely fashion.

ltmaverick25 said:
We like to complain about staff bloat and the dot coms.  But, from my experience working in a HQ, we tend to have too many guys sitting around when nothing is going on, but then, all of a suden something serious goes down, and we dont have nearly enough guys to do the job in a timely fashion.

To the contrary, we have too many to do the job effectively.  Our "modern" planning processes churn out oversize plans and orders that attempt to teach everyone to suck eggs.

An Op Order should be, at most, ten pages.  Including annexes.  Add in an admin order of about the same length.  That's all that should be required for any CF operation.

If we are producing excess staff verbiage to show how smart we are, or including many minute details because we have no standard operating procedures, then we've failed as a military to plan and to train ourselves.

Over large staffs produce over large staff work.  Over large staff work creates excess demands on lower formations to comply with all the crap tossed at them from above.  That serves no one's interests.

Infanteer said:
Actually, the opposite is true.  I did a line-by-line look at Unit Establishment Reports and not 1 battalion is the same in terms of officers and NCMs, infantry or otherwise.  In fact, very few companies are similar in organization.
As TV mentioned - watch for the Army to publish the Force 2013 establishments very soon.

I had to laugh at this line:

ltmaverick25 said:

I've worked at a Brigade HQ as well. Half the time we were chasing our tails with reports and returns to higher, half the time we were demanding the same reports and returns from subordinate units, and the rest of the time... ;)

We did get sucked into the OPP model for a while, spending inordinate amounts of time planning Brigade level exercises and so on. It go to the point that I looked at a Master Events Matrix printed off a plotter which had a week long exercise divided into 15 min increments. If a truck had a flat tire during a road move or someone had to stop to fix a radio the entire chain of events could be toppled in a domino fashion...I also participated in creating an exercise instruction which filled a CD; if converted to MS Word documents the amount of data would equal a 20,000 page instruction. During OP CADENCE, I was on the receiving end of the paper monster, filling out more forms etc. than I did to deploy to Afghanistan.

Getting rid of HQ bloat would mean that there would not be the manpower to create such monstrosities.

In fairness to Gen Hillier, I think the ultimate plan with the .coms was to replace existing HQ's with the .coms. Now if that really was the case, then the issue is completing the transition between the existing structure to the .com structure. Then again, I could be out to lunch on that, but that was the impression I got from the various briefings etc. presented when the plan first came out and the .coms were standing up.

Infanteer said:
I termed this a "force generation gap"; and it's real.  You wonder why no battalion has been able to mount an entire battlegroup by itself since 2002?  Because our management of butts and seats is generally poor and we need to do the same scrape every tour. 

I have a completely different take on this - the gap is not with Force generation, rather it is with Force Employment.  We need to discipline ourselves, and go to war with the org that we train with.  If that means adjusting tasks and expectations, so be it.  The Navy has never offered up 1 1/2 frigates for ops, and yet we routinely offer 1 1/2 Bns.  You could argue that we would have been better off in the long run to have committed 2 x FG base Bns at a time to Astan over the last 6 years, rather than 1 1/2 Bns and 3 1/2 HQs...

Former general inspires chamber dinner audience
By SHANNON QUESNEL / THE STANDARD / QMI AGENCY
Posted 7 days ago
http://www.elliotlakestandard.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3355624#.Truwgcl_wX8.facebook

Canada's former top military officer, General Rick Hillier, stayed on target throughout his presentation on what it takes to be a leader at the Elliot Lake and District Chamber of Commerce 21st Annual Excellence in Business Awards Dinner on Oct. 26.

In front of hundreds of guests in a packed Collins Hall, Hillier had the audience glued to their seats with tales, lessons and mistakes he has made, the amazing people he met and was inspired by, and how he attempted to inspire others whether they were soldiers under his command or just regular citizens. Following his presentation Hillier signed copies of his new book, Leadership: 50 Points of Wisdom for Today's Leaders.

The evening was not only about the former general. It was also a time to pay respects to military veterans, currently serving soldiers, the families of those who died and business leaders who through hard work earned honours presented by the chamber of commerce.

The first award presented was to Wil's Cove for Service Excellence.

The Red Briffett Award for Community Involvement went to Pierre Vaillancourt of Elliot Lake Foodland.

And the chamber President's Award for Economic Development went to the Fireside Classic Grill.

Just before Hillier began his presentation, the former general honoured Truus Barry.

Barry's husband, Dennis Barry, died as a result of his time serving in Canada's military as a master warrant officer. Dennis Barry worked a post as a United Nations peacekeeper.

"It is my distinct honour to provide you with the enclosed Memorial Cross in memory of your husband who passed away from having served his country," says Hillier as he pinned the medal to her blouse.

"For decades Canada's young men and women have sacrificed all they have known including all the comforts of home in order to defend the rights of others in distant lands.

"Canadians have always stood up to defend the ideals of democracy and the rule of law.

"We owe it to them to learn, to understand and appreciate their sacrifice."

Truus Barry was moved by the gesture and said she was honoured.

Fair warning

Following this ceremony Hillier was given the floor.

"I am a Newfoundlander and we Newfoundlanders love to talk. And you invited me here, so, I am just warning you."

In addition to knowing how to talk Hillier knows how to lead. In 2000, he took command of NATO's Stabilization Force's Multinational Division (Southwest) in Bosnia-Herzegovina.

Then in May of 2003, Hillier was appointed as Commander of the Army and in October of that same year, he was selected as the commander of the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force in Kabul, Afghanistan.

Hillier was promoted again in 2005 and assumed duties as the Chief of the Defence Staff on Feb. 4, 2005. He retired July 1, 2008.

Hillier says many Newfoundlanders went to the Joey Smallwood school of public speaking. Smallwood was the first premier of Newfoundland and Labrador and was known for being outspoken and brash.

"And Joey used to say if something was worth saying once it's worth saying five, six or seven times. And he would also say if you have an audience captive, and you got them on their back with your foot on their throat, for God's sake don't let them up until you have your complete say."

Hillier also heard, but maybe never took, the advice of his father who told him the opposite.

"Every time you get a standing ovation you should shut up and sit down right away because it only goes downhill from there."

Leaders have to be more than good speakers though. Being a leader is hard work, good leaders come in all shapes and sizes and getting a good start in life helps a lot.

Hillier appreciates the work done by Canada's cadet program.

"It is the best program in our country for developing responsible citizens out of young men and women," he says to the crowd and to the cadets listening in the Collins Hall.

Being a cadet means leadership, outdoor living, independence and "getting things done instead of talking about getting things done. These kids are pretty incredible."

The military man also appreciates the rule of law.

"Secondly, I just want to recognize, as a soldier, I went around the world and we tried to help other countries obtain some of what we have."

One of them is the rule of law and the work done by law enforcement.

"We do appreciate our police officers," he says, especially when they let a person off the hook.

"Never miss an opportunity to suck up to a police officer."

He learned this lesson in 1995 when he returned to Canada after serving in Bosnia.

"I was coming home for a short break, really tired and been away for five to six months from my wife. I was really looking forward to getting home," he says, which was in Ottawa. He now lives in Newfoundland.

Despite his best efforts Hillier was going to be late. Due to problems in Bosnia he missed two connecting flights.

"I got into Ottawa at one o'clock in the morning and… I was really anxious to get home right? I was driving out of the airport parkway like a bat out of hell and I was thinking about nothing else. And all of a sudden I see those proverbial red lights in the rear view."

Hillier pulled his rented car off the road and waited for the RCMP officer to come over. He didn't necessarily plead with the officer, but he admits he worked him for sympathy. He pointed out he was a soldier, back for a short stay after six months away, eager to see his wife, etc.

Instead of writing him a ticket the officer took a different approach.

"He looked at me again and said, 'Sir, follow me.' I swear to God, he jumped in his car, kept the lights on, and away we went. Ever since then I have had a weak spot for police officers."

Getting a good start in life and appreciating the rule of law were just two of the lessons learned.

Must be robust

Another is strength.

"I'm going to tell you two things. One is as a Newfoundlander there are two tips that I saw in leaders. One is a robustness, a toughness. And I don't mean you're tough on somebody else.

"I am talking about spiritual and mental and physical toughness. Being a leader is tough, and there are long days and sometimes things go horribly wrong. And if you are not robust at the time people need you most you may fail if you are not robust. And that is one of the characteristics every leader should have.

"And the second characteristic is optimism… which manifests itself in passion and confidence in what you are doing."

Leaders should use these attributes to inspire those that follow them.

During a dinner on Canada's East Coast to recognize an educational institution, Hillier met a 103-year-old doctor who not only drives himself to work four days a week with his Ford Taurus, but lives at home alone.

"He lives by himself, has no home care and still maintains an office. He is consulted by other physicians and specialists. His daughter, was a spritely 78 years old, came over from England to visit with daddy and during dinner he drank more white wine than me, which was a copious amount, so much so we wouldn't let him drive home.

"Obviously, he was robust right? The optimism part came in when he told me, when he bought the Ford Taurus, he bought the extended five-year warranty."

Hillier's Elliot Lake audience burst into laughter.

"Robustness and optimism."

Guess what

"The third thing I believe in and sometimes I get wrong is communication."

Leaders should never forget to communicate, not only to their subordinates and superiors, but also to those closest to them.

A case in point is when Hillier forgot to tell his wife he applied for what would be his biggest job.

"Let me give you a third leadership tip. If you are ever selected to go off and (do a project) you should remember to tell your wife.

"In August of 2003, I was the army commander in Ottawa and Canada was positioning itself to take command of the mission in Afghanistan. And I was on a short list of army senior commanders who could do the job."

The Canadian government had a list with the names of five individuals. Included was his own name something he promptly forgot about.

It was only later that he remembered.

"One night after a long day at work, I got in the house about quarter to nine. We flick on the TV."

The lead story was the secretary-general of NATO announced a Canadian commander would be taking over the NATO Afghanistan mission.

"And then he went on to say that one of our three-star generals will be away commanding that mission for the next year.

"Joyce (his wife) was looking at the TV, put her wine glass down and looked at me and asked, 'Tell me again how many three-star army generals we actually have?' And I said, 'Babe, we have one.'"

Hillier forgot to tell his wife he opted to command the NATO's forces in Afghanistan.

"Communication is a must."

Being inspired

Inspiration can be a contagious thing.

Hillier says, "Leaders inspire people to do things they never thought possible. And leaders draw inspiration from those people that keep themselves going during the tough days. I see it as a cycle.

"I'm (also) a past master of the frustrations of trying to inspire people and draw inspiration from them because ladies and gentleman I'm a Toronto Maple Leafs fan."

Throughout his career Hillier has been inspired by not only by the men and women under his command, but regular citizens.

"We found our inspiration in those leaders that sometimes you wouldn't recognize," he says, such as Newfoundlander Gladys Osmond.

"She is a retired Salvation Army officer. And one of the things we worried about when I was a commander is keeping Canada's sons and daughters who were deployed in dirty and dangerous places for long periods of time… to keeping them linked right back to this country.

"We discovered that leaders like this lady were actually helping us do that."

Since 1995, Osmond has been writing letters that can be accepted by any member of Canada's Armed Forces. These letters were written by hand and mailed in envelopes.

"She wrote 250 letters a month, and I have been the beneficiary of many of them."

Many of these letters, along with other correspondence, were delivered to soldiers on the front lines.

"You are in a mission, you're into a fire fight and you roll back into a bit of shelter, try to collect your thoughts. And you are thinking you are all alone in the world and there goes the quartermaster on his hands and knees.

"And he throws a bundle of letters toward you. You open it up and in it is a letter from Gladys Osmond. It's incredible. First of all she writes the most boring arcane s*** you've ever heard."

Osmond would pen details like how much snow has fallen, what her neighbours were up to, what she baked, etc. While they might not have been exciting letters like hers were valuable, says Hillier.

It reminded soldiers of home.

In addition she formed the granny brigade with the average age of members being 94 years. All of them now write letters to Canadian soldiers.

Unorthodox

Being an inspiring leader can also mean being unorthodox or in the case of one Canadian soldier, Ernest 'Smokey' Smith, being constantly promoted and demoted.

Hillier says this Second World War Canadian soldier, who was awarded the Victoria Cross, started his legacy by knocking out two enemy tanks and destroying a platoon. He was promoted to lance corporal and then demoted soon after when he got into a drunken brawl.

This process of heroism followed by a string of crazy acts, including one time when Smokey stole a jeep, repeated itself. From January 1944 to June 1944 commanding officers promoted Smith to lance corporal and demoted him to private nine times.

"The young men and women who serve today would rather lay their life down than let down the legacy this man has handed to us.

"When you can use that kind of motivation and dedication in a positive manner you can change the world."

Being a leader also means meeting the physical needs of those following. In the case of the Canadian Forces going to Kandahar, Afghanistan it meant bringing Tim Hortons overseas.

After some troops made it known to Hillier about this he did what he could do.

Motivated by Hillier's words to the corporate world and by 43,000 email requests Tim Hortons top brass got on the problem. Soon enough a small Tim Hortons outlet was in Kandahar.

Of course despite the financial success of that Tim Hortons it had its share of problems.

"You've been through a Tim Hortons drive through right? You've never seen a drive through work so well until you've seen one with a 65-ton main battle tank pull up with the officer asking for 24 coffees to go. It was one of those special Canadian moments.

"We were inspired by Tim Hortons' actions and their commitment to Canada's sons and daughters."

- 30 -

I have just finished his book 'Leadership'. I was impressed by how he wove his experience in our Armed Forces into the lessons for young leaders to follow. A good book. My :2c:.  :remembrance:

Thucydides said:
...In fairness to Gen Hillier, I think the ultimate plan with the .coms was to replace existing HQ's with the .coms. Now if that really was the case, then the issue is completing the transition between the existing structure to the .com structure. Then again, I could be out to lunch on that, but that was the impression I got from the various briefings etc. presented when the plan first came out and the .coms were standing up.

Thucydides, you're as far out to lunch as you think.  :nod:

Had things gone the way Gen Hillier wanted initially, we would have actually had a fairly streamlined joint strat HQ structure:

3* CFE (Chief Force Employment) with two 2* (Expeditionary and Domestic)
3* CFG (Chief Force Generation) [like US FORSCOM] with the 3 ECS responsive to CFG using a CF managed-readiness model
3* CFD (Chief Force Development) and ECS FD elements under CFD direction.

For those who remember things before, the CFE/Exp/Dom construct would have been near identical to DCDS/COS J3 Intl/COS J3 Cont.  That (CFE) was relatively okay, but there was huge pushback on the CFG construct.  One environment was particularly vehement in its refusal to accept the CFG proposal, believing that there was essentially no place for large-scale jointness in what it did (both FG and FE).  Another environment was relatively okay with things, so long as its responsibilities to existing bilateral capabilities weren't impacted (which it wouldn't have been).  The other environment was okay with things generally, particularly the CFG thing, but had some concerns about stewardship/leadership of its generated force abroad, once deployed.

In the end, the pushback was significant enough that Gen Hillier went with the back up plan, COA 2, which was 2 x 3* for CFE functionality (CEEFCOM and CanadaCOM), leaving the FG principally to the environment, then adding some CF-wide enablers (CANOSCOM) to consolidate previously underappreciated/supported logistical issues. CFD survived, but was knocked down from a 3* to a 2*, but at least stewards CF-wide force development as originally intended within Plan A.

The "bloat" as many refer to came principally from the environments not anteing in as much to the new constructs as Gen Hillier had tried to secure (and the environments generally agreed to) - fiefdoms remained and the overall result was that Gen Hillier's vision of consolidated command stewardship was somewhat (significantly?) diluted by functional silos.

:2c:

Regards
G2G

Good2Golf said:
Had things gone the way Gen Hillier wanted initially, we would have actually had a fairly streamlined joint strat HQ structure:

3* CFE (Chief Force Employment) with two 2* (Expeditionary and Domestic)
3* CFG (Chief Force Generation) [like US FORSCOM] with the 3 ECS responsive to CFG using a CF managed-readiness model
3* CFD (Chief Force Development) and ECS FD elements under CFD direction.
There have been a few theoretical CF models proposed by members of this site which have significant similarity to this.  It would have been an interesting structure to see in operation had we been successful in building it.

Back