• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Gag Bos'n Pipes

Pud

Reaction score
Howdy folks,

I did a search but couldnt find what I was looking for.  I was wondering how many gag bosun pipes you can think of that you have pulled on buddies who are up doing Bos'n mate.  ie  LS Eye - Brow,  John Fogarty to the CCR, etc.  What do you have?

OS Pratt & OS Whitney- Engine Room
Civilian Worker- Angus McDonald Bridge
Civilian Worker -Jeffery Dalmer Fridge Flats
OS Coat-Hangar
CO's Deck out of Bounds Stripper Being Laid On Deck

or the Resident Shipboard Roid Monster Muscle Head...LS Bloggins Small Arms Locker

or the resident retard...PO2 Bloggins required CDF (Common Dog F*ck) Locker

Poor Bloggins. I heard there was an actual Bloggins on the DIN.

HFXCrow said:
Poor Bloggins. I heard there was an actual Bloggins on the DIN.

He is... I email him once.. I even got a reply.  ;D

The funniest gag pipe I ever heard was an actual bosn' pipe that had been played with.  We had a brand new AB, fresh of NETP, who had hardly ever used a call before (so he didn't really remember what it looked like).  So, when he was double-banked as quarter master, the supervising QM had the AB pipe stand-easy, only the bosn' call was acually a duck call that was shapped like a bosn't call.

Dockyard worker Jon Fogarty - CCR

Forward Heads and Washplace out of bounds - steaming coil on deck

yak said:
Dockyard worker Jon Fogarty - CCR

Forward Heads and Washplace out of bounds - steaming coil on deck

John Fogarty was in the first post...;)

True Story:
My friend was posted to the Terra Nova in 1994 and was the QM in Halifax Harbour. His BM (Bosnmate) was an brand spanking new OS Steward fresh from CFSAL.

So the QM (my friend) says I have to use the heads, can you handle the Brow for 2 minutes. (Big Mistake) Well, my friend uses the heads and comes back to see the OS dipping the NIPIGON as it sailed by.

WTF!! he screams but it was too late. He says to the OS steward who told you to dip the Nipigon. "He says that PO over there"

The PO was a Stoker who didn't have a clue about ceremonial anything unless it was attached to a oil pump.

Well, that afternoon, the CO of the TERRA NOVA receives a FLASH message from the COMMODORE inquiring when the TERRA NOVA had obtained Merchant status. (The steamer that went to the Gulf War no less)

As you can imagine it was not a good Navy day for the TERRA NOVA or my friend.

They had a full investigation and my friend who will remain nameless as well as the PO stoker each received 5 extras.

He is posted to Ottawa now and I remind him on a regular basis of his lack of supervision and leadership on the Brow.

not a pipe but still funny......

Flying along and spotting a tanker and telling the Navcom that the name of the ship is the M/V Nosmo King

or my personal favorite

M/V Ana L. Princess

Could someone PM me the significance of this dipping, etc?  Ex-army now Air Force...the story went right over my head.

From the US NAVY Website:

Dipping the Ensign

Merchant ships "salute" Navy ships by dipping their ensigns. When a merchant ship of any nation formally recognized by the U.S. salutes a ship of the U.S. Navy, it lowers its national colors to half-mast. The Navy ship, at its closest point of approach, lowers the ensign to half-mast for a few seconds, then closes it up, after which the merchant ship raises its own flag. If the salute is made when the ensign is not displayed, the Navy ship will hoist her colors, dip for the salute, close them up again, and then haul them down after a suitable interval. Naval vessels dip the ensign only to answer a salute; they never salute first.

Quick add-on to the explanation, if the Naval Warship salute first it is considered an act of surrender.

Ex-Dragoon said:
John Fogarty was in the first post...;)

So it is.  Apparently my attention to detail needs a little work.

Yak, your inability to pay attention to detail and concentrate makes you a prime candidate to make these pipes.

A busy, bewildered Bosnmate is a perfect target.

one of the funniest pipes i remember from my time on subs was mainly directed at the trainees, when we'd practice bottoming and all the trainees would be informed they were trimming party (and a few of the other fatter sailors so they didn't catch on)and shortly after pipes would be made for trimming part to muster in all parts of the sub to control the sub before touching the bottom.

ok manged to remember another

sonar reporting to control... con, sonar new contact bearing 365 classified merchant via in out ball slap and shaft rub...roger sonar

it's amazing what they were doing to the OOW when you were listening in on sonar IC. glad i was tucked away in the commcen

Back in the day, I got caught with pipping the Buffer and Chief Bosn's Mate at the same time.  Being very new, I didn't know that they were the same person.  I certainly found out when the Buffer/ CBM showed up at the Bosn's Mate shack.  I also got caught with Dockyard Worker Phil McCracken......SickBay.

The last time I was on ship, the guys used to go on the upper decks and use their cell phone to phone the brow and ask stupid questions like...."Is your keel longer than your main shaft?" or "How many screws does your ship have?".....thank god I eventually became a MSOD and didn't have to worry about making pipes anymore.

It's still funny when you hear another new guy getting caught making a ridiculous pipe......and you say to yourself, I was that stupid once. LOL

Back