• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Future of ATHENA: Manning issues & LAV III upgrades

This is not a new problem. We were offered signing bonus's of up to $1500.00 ( back when money was real) and a step up in grade (sgt to Ssgt) to reup for 4 years. I would have gone for it if I had been able to go back on tour to Viet Nam immediately, but they insisted that I stay in the states for at least a year.

I had just spent the most exciting 26 months doing what I loved to do, to go back to garrison crap and spit and polish with no purpose. It's the change in mentality that is affecting the guys. You have shown you have the right stuff, and some REMF dweeb is going to have you painting rocks, etc., just because he can? I don't think so.

They are opting out because they don't think they can handle the same old crap all over again after going through Combat. Give them some leeway and an objective. The input ideas on "Lessons Learned" is an excellent point. How about listening to what they think they can contribute initially to upgrading the training regime? Let them do a show and tell, while things are being fleshed out, that will at least take their minds off of the day to day garrison duty stuff. (and BTW get them used to the normal "Canadian" routines again in the process)

my 1¢ I need the other

GAP said:
This is not a new problem. We were offered signing bonus's of up to $1500.00 ( back when money was real) and a step up in grade (sgt to Ssgt) to reup for 4 years. I would have gone for it if I had been able to go back on tour to Viet Nam immediately, but they insisted that I stay in the states for at least a year.

I had just spent the most exciting 26 months doing what I loved to do, to go back to garrison crap and spit and polish with no purpose. It's the change in mentality that is affecting the guys. You have shown you have the right stuff, and some REMF dweeb is going to have you painting rocks, etc., just because he can? I don't think so.

1 PPCLI will NOT be painting any rocks - and the troops will be accorded the respect that is their due based on their experience.

They are opting out because they don't think they can handle the same old crap all over again after going through Combat. Give them some leeway and an objective. The input ideas on "Lessons Learned" is an excellent point. How about listening to what they think they can contribute initially to upgrading the training regime? Let them do a show and tell, while things are being fleshed out, that will at least take their minds off of the day to day garrison duty stuff. (and BTW get them used to the normal "Canadian" routines again in the process)

1 PPCLI will be conducting a 3 day AAR after Remembrance Week in order to capture lessons learned - and then the Battalion will lead the Brigade Leadership Symposium in January.  The Symposium will not have academic talking heads - it will feature M203 gunners, section commanders, senior NCOs and junior officers talking about their exxperience in theatre, and passing on what they have learned.

This war is a section commanders war - and they are the ones that need to tell the story.  That is why, where possible, speaking engagements are being filled by junior NCOs, vice majors...

As I was on the road this morning, CBC reported that there is a plan to 're-role' some CF members in order to cover off the manning shortages in Afghanistan.  I have heard of this before, as it was on the news two days ago.  The difference with this morning's broadcast was that they specifically mentioned taking people off ship to perform the duties of an Infanteer in Afghanistan.  This seems a little strange to me, as the media tends to skew things quite often, but this really got some of us talking today and some very interesting points were made.

1. North Korea is flaring up and may call for a deployment of ships in the next six months to enforce UN sanctions.  With people robbed from already deprived ships' companies this would become unsustainable.

2. We have some of the best infanteers on earth over there right now who have more experience fighting a war than I'll ever have and unfortunately they are having a hard time with the Taliban as it is now.  These men and women trained their entire careers for a mission like this and there is no way that a few months of Army training can make a sailor ready for what is happening over there.

3. How could you possibly accomplish the logistics of training and equipping so many people without a concerted effort on the part of a very vulnerable government?

4. More casualties in Afghanistan as the result of troops who have been pressed into service there will leave the government and the mission very open to attack from other political parties and a very anxious public.  People will begin to wonder what is going on and the public mood could turn drastically against the Afghanistan mission.

5. Domestic security is going to suffer, as there will be no one manning the ships conducting the business of maritime security along our coastlines.  Does anyone remember the boat people from the late 90's? Well, they are part of the reason the Navy brought back the sovereignty patrol.

6. Lastly, there are sailors who will just not want to be pushed into such service and they will take release.  Not everyone is capable of performing the duties of an infanteer.  Believe it or not QL 3 infantry is a good deal more than DIG HOLE 101.  There is some serious skill required to perform the duties of an Canadian soldier.There is a unique ability possessed by infanteers to be able to cope with "the suck."  There are many more people out there who do not share this wonderful gift/curse (however you look at it) and cannot cope with some of the necessary BS that follows with being in the Army. 

There's a sample of some of the discussion we had today.  I know there are those who will not agree with much of what I have written, but these thoughts are out there and they are matter of fact.  I have written this as objectively as possible and left out my own bias (nobody needs another opinion on something like this) so please don't shoot the messenger.

tasop_999 said:
As I was on the road this morning, CBC reported that there is a plan to 're-role' some CF members in order to cover off the manning shortages in Afghanistan.  I have heard of this before, as it was on the news two days ago.  The difference with this morning's broadcast was that they specifically mentioned taking people off ship to perform the duties of an Infanteer in Afghanistan.  This seems a little strange to me, as the media tends to skew things quite often, but this really got some of us talking today and some very interesting points were made.

1. North Korea is flaring up and may call for a deployment of ships in the next six months to enforce UN sanctions.  With people robbed from already deprived ships' companies this would become unsustainable.

This assumes there's a role for Canadian ships in this effort.  Even then (and being mindful of the fact that the news media is hardly an authoritative source), I doubt that sufficient numbers of personnel to completely render the navy dysfunctional would be pulled away, because a) it's not smart, as you point out below and b) we have limited training resources anyway, again as you point out below.

2. We have some of the best infanteers on earth over there right now who have more experience fighting a war than I'll ever have and unfortunately they are having a hard time with the Taliban as it is now.  These men and women trained their entire careers for a mission like this and there is no way that a few months of Army training can make a sailor ready for what is happening over there.

Again, probably not the intent.  The government and military are, I'm sure, well aware of the optics around this idea.  However, there are jobs in the SW Asian theatre currently being done by otherwise combat-capable personnel, that don't entail the same risk as that faced by those who work routinely outside the wire.  Some of these probably fall well within the skill sets of naval personnel (who, I might add, should not be sold short.  There are very capable and tough naval personnel that could probably be trained quite quickly to a standard reasonable for some types of even fairly risky employment in the region).

3. How could you possibly accomplish the logistics of training and equipping so many people without a concerted effort on the part of a very vulnerable government?

4. More casualties in Afghanistan as the result of troops who have been pressed into service there will leave the government and the mission very open to attack from other political parties and a very anxious public.  People will begin to wonder what is going on and the public mood could turn drastically against the Afghanistan mission.

I'd take care with that term "pressed into service".  The connotations of "press gangs", "draft" or "conscription" it carries aren't at all applicable.  Consideration is being given to employing military personnel in a job that doesn't necessarily fall into their "day job".  That's very different.  There's a long history of personnel being re-employed, usually because of need, but sometimes because it just made sense.  Consider the following, from the Wikipedia entry on the "Glider Pilot Regiment":

Massed airborne landings at Sicily, Normandy and Arnhem achieved success but at great cost. The Airborne Forces at Arnhem did not lose the battle, they were ordered to hold for two or possibly three days, they held out for eight days. The Regiment's casualties were the highest at Arnhem, 90% were killed, wounded or taken prisoner of war.

These losses were made up by the secondment to the Regiment of Royal Air Force pilots and several hundreds of them took part in the greatest and most successful airborne operation of the war, Operation Varsity, the Crossing of the Rhine. The RAF pilots acquitted themselves with great gallantry, in the air and on the ground, 60% of the Regiment's killed in action on that day were RAF pilots seconded to the Glider Pilot Regiment.

5. Domestic security is going to suffer, as there will be no one manning the ships conducting the business of maritime security along our coastlines.  Does anyone remember the boat people from the late 90's? Well, they are part of the reason the Navy brought back the sovereignty patrol.

This is a possibility.  However, it's a case of assessing, and then accepting risk.  The greater strategic risk to Canada right now is in SW Asia, not in its coastal waters.

6. Lastly, there are sailors who will just not want to be pushed into such service and they will take release.  Not everyone is capable of performing the duties of an infanteer.  Believe it or not QL 3 infantry is a good deal more than DIG HOLE 101.  There is some serious skill required to perform the duties of an Canadian soldier.There is a unique ability possessed by infanteers to be able to cope with "the suck."  There are many more people out there who do not share this wonderful gift/curse (however you look at it) and cannot cope with some of the necessary BS that follows with being in the Army. 

There's a sample of some of the discussion we had today.  I know there are those who will not agree with much of what I have written, but these thoughts are out there and they are matter of fact.  I have written this as objectively as possible and left out my own bias (nobody needs another opinion on something like this) so please don't shoot the messenger.

No shooting intended.  You raise some valid concerns.  However, I don't think the issue is as dire as you generally imply.

tasop_999 said:

It seems strange because it is strange.  As I mentioned in my previous post...

There was a briefing yesterday by the Air Force CWO at Shearwater, and he assured all those in attendance that the media is reading far more into this than what the CDS stated.  He stated that the "re-roling" will be done on artillery and armoured personnel, and not to any other trades. He was quite emphatic that little Johnny who joined up as a Sonar Op, Boatswain, ATIS Tech, AVS tech, or any other Air Force or Navy trade will not be heading off to Battle School.

284_226 said:
  He stated that the "re-roling" will be done on artillery and armoured personnel, and not to any other trades. He was quite emphatic that little Johnny who joined up as a Sonar Op, Boatswain, ATIS Tech, AVS tech, or any other Air Force or Navy trade will not be heading off to Battle School.

.....or that is his line in the sand.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
.....or that is his line in the sand.

No, he was quite clear that the re-roling initiative was right from Force Development.

Edit:  ...and that Navy/AF personnel were never on the table as part of the initiative.

MCG said:
I know Force Employment & Force Generation, but what is this referece:

Force Development was at the bottom of the Powerpoint presentation.  The new DND org chart was whipped through fairly quickly, but I got the impression it's part of the new organization.

If the VCDS site wasn't down, there'd probably be more information here - www.vcds.forces.gc.ca/cfd/intro_e.asp

As a sailor I am not concerned at all about this crapola, the media is running away with what they think is a good story.  Honestly, they make it seem they can take Joe Bosun off the ship and drop him off in Kandahar to kick ass.  I am not an Infanteer, but I have lived the army life as a brat, and my brother currently resides at CTC Gagetown where he trains officers....  I know there is a great deal of training required to bring guys up to the standard set by our Army, now I could see them taking some fellas out of recruit school and throwing them in the Army, but you just can't neglect the other services.
As a Naval Communicator I could easily perform the duties of a SIG OP (with a little training on army kit).  I hear some people saying that they are looking at tying up ships, out of a ships company of 230 I would bet you would be lucky to get 50 solid infanteers.  Sure we have the boarding party, but neglecting the fleet/air services would just be plain stupid.  
There are many support roles that Naval personnel could play in this, and if that would free up combat capable troops then lets go.

The big problem (IMHO) is that we have allies in Afghanistan that are sitting back doing nothing, these guys have to get off their collective a$$es and start contributing to the mission, after all it is a NATO mission, not a Canadian one.

And then we've got the purple trades.

I see no reason why the Naval and Air purple people can not do the work-ups and deploy into a purple posn in-theatre. That might even free up some of the Army purple trades such as myself for some other hard-army training and usage.

However, this raises one of the concerns I've always had with the idea of a purple trade - it denies that each environment has it's own specific demands which interfere with "interoperability" (for lack of a better word).  Take a logistics Petty Officer who's been on a ship for 18 years and pop him in Afghanistan on convoys and he may be a bit overwhelmed, no?

I know that there are some purple trade personnel in A-stan right now.  Specifically pay and admin clerks and cooks who have all done some time on the ship.  These guys are used to deployments in the Army world because if anyone has every looked, outside the Army the people with the most medals belong to the Logistics branch.  It seems to me though, that under the current trend from NDHQ purple could easily be considered green for all intents and purposes.

Infanteer said:
However, this raises one of the concerns I've always had with the idea of a purple trade - it denies that each environment has it's own specific demands which interfere with "interoperability" (for lack of a better word).  Take a logistics Petty Officer who's been on a ship for 18 years and pop him in Afghanistan on convoys and he may be a bit overwhelmed, no?

Let's say purple tradesmen then.

There are alot more of them than Log Os in theatre and our rank levels are the ones seeing numerous tours. Granted Sea Log Officers have their own unique qualifications but all Logistic Officers have the basic essential log quals and courses.

I can assure you that, as a Loggie who has served in all 3 enviornments, there is absolutely no reason why all of us non-commisioned types can not serve in-theatre, regardless of the colour of uniform we wear.

As our resident Librarian has said "deploy into a purple posn in-theatre. That might even free up some of the Army purple trades such as myself for some other hard-army training and usage"

Use the Army "lite purples" in the green (tan) roles for the trade -- and fill the inside the wire "deep purple" roles from the blues

The Librarian said:
Trying to decipher what I6 has just said.... ;)

Color-coordinating the uniforms?  ;D (a little heavy on the purple though, tans need something more subtle)

GAP said:
Color-coordinating the uniforms?  ;D (a little heavy on the purple though, tans need something more subtle)

I think he's really telling me that I would then have 'permission' to do DPs et al again!!  ;D

Cool - I'll defer to your lane-ownership on this one.  :)

I6 seems to have said what makes sense.  Many Purple trades are more than suited for a deployment to KAF.  Filing claims and memos is the same whether on a ship or in an operational Army base.  Take the super-green ones (with jump wings, etc, etc) and send them outside the wire to push stuff to the tip of the spear.

And Tasop, I wasn't begrudging the CSS folks.  Lord knows the RSM of the school in these parts (Log) has the biggest salad bar around.

Back