• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Funeral etiquette?

Sparkplugs

Inactive
Reaction score
I didn't know where else to post this...

A good friend of mine died in a car accident this past weekend.  I worked with him at the skydiving dropzone we both jump at, and he's also in the military, as a reserve member.  I'm a reg forcer, in Borden, and I have received permission to attend his funeral this friday.  I wanted to ask if it was appropriate to wear my DEU's to the funeral.  It is not a military funeral, but he was a member, and so am I, so I wasn't sure if it was a good idea or not.  Thanks for your time.

Of course it is however check with his family just to be sure it is okay with them.

Spark, I am sorry for your loss.

If he was military, I am sure that you will find many others at the funeral wearing uniform, even if it isn't a military funeral.  You are allowed to wear yours as well, and I consider it a good idea.  Here is a bit more information too.

Thank you for your replies.  He was a good kid, (just turned 19 a couple weeks ago) and a good friend.

I think it would do him proud to see us in uniform.

Again

check with his family just to be sure it is okay with them.  It is called courtesy.

I have no way of getting a hold of the family, they're from out of town.

SHould I stick to civvies then?

You can also contact the funeral home and pose the question to them.  They will in turn get ahold of the family for you and provide you with an answer.  Because he is military, this question might even already have been asked of them and direction already provided.

Oh jeeze just 19? I'm sorry for your loss as well.

Another point of contact will be his reserve unit.
Check with their Orderly room.  They should know about the death and what the unit is planning to do about it... and if DEUs are appropriate.

DEUs are definately appropriate.  I am sorry for the loss of your friend.  I just hope that this doesn't get to you too late.  Remember, you are a member of the CF: wear  your uniform with pride that your friend would have appreciated.  My best friend's mother passed away a few weeks ago.  I wore my DEUs there and it was appreciated.  Its a personal choice, but I highly doubt that anyone would be offended by a CF member wearing her uniform.

Again, I'm sorry for your loss.

Back