• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

From Advanced Mathematics to Military

Johngalt24

Inactive
Reaction score
So I've spent the better part of the past 6 years studying in an elite mathematical economics program with such a small number of people enrolled, I have never met another person in the program (school has 25 000 people in it).

I specialize in game theory, the mathematical approach to personal decision making, but also has applications to military warfare.  (If interested, see http://www.jstor.org/stable/166693#mobileBookmark or watch a beautiful mind)

I am a mature student, having gone back to school at 22 (now 28).  After working in my field fairly successfully (have been published writing financial market commentary, met and have been trained by some of the top in the field), I decided to go to school to try and progress my career.  In my senior year, the school audited the program and changed several main prerequisite courses causing me to have to retake classes to further my standing in the program, so I changed out of the program.  Having been "full time" for nearly 6 years (4 classes at a time, with a couple retakes, summers included), I decided I wanted to look at different venues for my career path, so went to visit parents and had a talk.  My father, having been a navcomm for 29 years, had a good argument for joining the forces, but I already had the idea in the back of my mind.  Many of my friends are reservists (int, artillery, infantry, navy), so started asking around about what trades would suit me, and then made a decision.

Like everyone else, I wanted to be James Bond (int O).  Applied and realized that I cannot do int O without previous service, I decided to try for ROTP, and the possibility of switching into INT when I am done school.  I applied to ROTP,  and wrote my CFAT (apparently did well?).  I didn't get ROTP, so went back to the recruiter and asked what I should do, he suggested RESO.  Started messaging the local Navy reserve unit to see if I could still get in, as they were looking into my file I began thinking about how I rather just go NCM and work my way up rather than be an officer. Went in and changed everything, now waiting nervously for the next step. 

I have been in Cadets, and enjoyed it a lot.  I chose both Naval Operations room trades because of a video game, sounds bad, but it is what made me want to get into game theory in the first place (game was USS Ticonderoga: Life and Death on the high seas.  Basically you played from the ops room of a ship).

I still plan on finishing school, but I am looking into finishing via distance learning with Athabaska or similar.

Back