• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Friendly Advice for potential Infantry Officer candidates

isaac.m.hicks97,

I'm not sure on your reasonings behind your infantry or bust mind set but would recommend you keep an open mind towards other officer occupations as well. When I joined, Infantry Officer was my first choice yet I ended up accepting an offer for Artillery Officer (ROTP) and have never looked back. In fact, I was fortunate enough to still be a member of a Para Company Group, both as an airborne Mortar Troop Commander and as a Forward Observation Officer (FOO), including jumping in to the Arctic on exercise (3x) and doing a jump exchange in Germany. I also got to serve as a M777 Troop Commander, Gun Position Officer, and Mechanized FOO.

As well, regardless of what trade you go, you could still serve within the Special Forces or HUMINT, if you have the ambition and aptitude for it. Best of luck.

winds_13 said:
isaac.m.hicks97,

I'm not sure on your reasonings behind your infantry or bust mind set but would recommend you keep an open mind towards other officer occupations as well. When I joined, Infantry Officer was my first choice yet I ended up accepting an offer for Artillery Officer (ROTP) and have never looked back. In fact, I was fortunate enough to still be a member of a Para Company Group, both as an airborne Mortar Troop Commander and as a Forward Observation Officer (FOO), including jumping in to the Arctic on exercise (3x) and doing a jump exchange in Germany. I also got to serve as a M777 Troop Commander, Gun Position Officer, and Mechanized FOO.

As well, regardless of what trade you go, you could still serve within the Special Forces or HUMINT, if you have the ambition and aptitude for it. Best of luck.

Thank you winds_13 for your reply. I guess I'm going in with quite an all or nothing philosophy, without much room for compromise. JTFX or HUMINT (I don't know what the proper term is) sounds very interesting though. I can't really find any information about it unfortunately (not surprising). After reading about it though, I think that if I did not pass infantry officer training, I would be quite interested in working as an interrogator with military intelligence. Infantry is certainly preferable, but HUMINT is very interesting.

isaac.m.hicks97 said:
JTFX or HUMINT (I don't know what the proper term is) sounds very interesting though.

JTFX is the unit name, HUMINT is what they do.

Hello,

I'm done with my QMBO and I'm now 2Lt doing OJT admin work for the RCAF. I really enjoyed my time at Basic Training where I did a great job overall and ranked quite good. I think about transferring to Infantry Officer right now so I don't waste anybody's time and ressources. I'm just wondering how is training in Gagetown if we compare it to, let's say, Farnham (Vimy or pre-Vimy). Those were actually my only field experiences as a section leader and comparison could give me a clue in terms of intensity and length.

Many thanks!

Back