• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Friendly Advice for potential Infantry Officer candidates

Nevermore093 said:
Hey guys,

I'm planning to join the military, one of the positions I know I have a strong potential for is the position of Infantry Officer.

This is a completely serious question. Please be honest with me. I am Asian. How does the majority of Canadian soldiers feel about Asians in the military, or as their superior? I've worked in a lot of companies as a team leader or lead hand and, generally, at first, people are reluctant to work with or respect me because I am young, and I am Asian. If this sort of thinking happens when I am posted on a mission and those under my command are hesitant to obey my orders, I rather not risk it and start thinking about an entirely different position altogether.

I'm Asian, and while I'm not in the Infantry, I believe what I'm saying applies throughout the CAF.  I'll put hand on heart and say that the military is one of the few places where merit and attitude will trump looks/gender/sexual orientation/race/age.  I have never been treated differently because I was Asian, unless it was for a good reason (e.g. liaison officer jobs with foreign military members of my ethnicity, etc.)

If you're a good leader (which will be decided by your subordinates/superiors) and a team player, you'll earn respect - simple as that.  That being said, the military is not for folks who have thin skins.

I can echo the above. There will be some who may at first question you due to youth, but that goes quickly.  I mean, "what does he know? He looks like he's 12, and officer school is a piece of cake..."

So, in short, don't worry about it.

Nevermore093 said:
Hey guys,

I'm planning to join the military, one of the positions I know I have a strong potential for is the position of Infantry Officer.

This is a completely serious question. Please be honest with me. I am Asian. How does the majority of Canadian soldiers feel about Asians in the military, or as their superior? I've worked in a lot of companies as a team leader or lead hand and, generally, at first, people are reluctant to work with or respect me because I am young, and I am Asian. If this sort of thinking happens when I am posted on a mission and those under my command are hesitant to obey my orders, I rather not risk it and start thinking about an entirely different position altogether.

I have no doubt I can prove myself worthy of the position as I am in top shape. I run 4 miles everyday with ease, can do 100 pushups of whatever type easily combined with HIIT training and stamina training. I work 7 days a week, sometimes double shifts. I have never met anyone who has more physical endurance than myself in the workplace and outside of it. I have been the hardest and efficient worker in every company I have worked with (11 companies), acknowledged by my superiors. My ability to train and lead others has always been praiseworthy as I am easy to understand and straightforward. However, I will not risk being an officer if people are hesitant to obey me because of my age and race. I may just apply for infantry soldier.

Thanks,
Nevermore093
Nevermore093, Dimsum and Techniviking speak the truth!  A good friend of mine who at one point was also my commander is Asian.  He is an outstanding leader who is well respected by both his superiors and subordinates alike.  Nobody will care that you are Asian, only that you can do the job and do it well!

Royaldrew
Infantry Officer and Proud Member of the Royal Canadian Regiment!

Technoviking said:
I can echo the above. There will be some who may at first question you due to youth, but that goes quickly.  I mean, "what does he know? He looks like he's 12, and officer school is a piece of cake..."

So, in short, don't worry about it.

This line of thinking is usually corrected after the first platoon ruckmarch/run ;)

We have two qualified, capable, Infantry Officers in my (infantry) regiment who come from south Asian backgrounds.

They pick on me sometimes because I'm white, and old  ;D

I'm an Asian Van Doo, go figure.

Long answer: there will occasionally be a-holes who will cast doubt on your abilities and suggest that you got your position thanks to affirmative action.  You might feel that you don't have the "luxury" of mediocrity - that you need to put in extra effort just to prove yourself worthy.  You can either complain about being unfairly treated, or harvest this as motivation for self-improvement.

Short answer: no, the vast majority of soldiers won't give a damn about your race.

Great thread here guys. I'm in the midst of the recruiting process now as a DEO and it's nice to have some information beyond the standard DND recruiting site, which is very thin on the details of Infantry officer training after BMOQ. I'm really looking forward to getting amongst it.

For now it's a game of "hurry up and wait." At least it's a good way to be re-introduced to the military, right?

Cheers

I am about to head into regular force infantry. If I like it I may want to try and become an officer to make this into my career.
What is the best way of going at this? I have minimal education atm (highschool) thus going into infantry. Would I be better to join the reserves get a degree and then apply to become an officer? If so, what type of degree should I get.
I am new to all of this and start basic in a couple of weeks. I heard not to even waste your time staying in while being a NCM to try and become an officer since they just pick people out of university first.

Evad said:
I am about to head into regular force infantry. If I like it I may want to try and become an officer to make this into my career.
What is the best way of going at this? I have minimal education atm (highschool) thus going into infantry. Would I be better to join the reserves get a degree and then apply to become an officer? If so, what type of degree should I get.
I am new to all of this and start basic in a couple of weeks. I heard not to even waste your time staying in while being a NCM to try and become an officer since they just pick people out of university first.

This thread is five pages long, so far, and well worth the READ.

We have other threads that deal with life in the Reserves as an Infantryman, and options to go to university, as well as becoming an officer in the Reserves.

We have a whole section dedicated to RMC, and applicants wanting to become Regular Force officers through programs such as ROTP.  Other options are also discussed in that section.

You may also want to READ the threads that deal with Voluntary Release (VR) from the Regular Force, that some have contemplated in their desire to change Trade or Occupation. 

All you have to do is READ the many threads that address the questions that you have.  You will also find answers to questions that you have yet to think of.

Evad said:
Would I be better to join the reserves get a degree and then apply to become an officer? If so, what type of degree should I get.

In short, I would say yes. If you want to try it out instead of committing to a bunch of obligatory service, I would say enrol in the PRes as an infantry soldier* whilst doing a degree. If you decide you want to become an Officer in the Reg Force, *given today's current climate and the forecasted needs in the infantry corps*, it should be fairly doable to Component Transfer to the Reg Force and start Inf O training.

As for what degree, none of them gives you a leg-up in becoming an Inf O, so do something you could see yourself doing / using if the military was not an option.

*I say infantry soldier because I wish I had more time working on basic soldiering skills. I find myself now as a LAV Captain, when there is nothing going on in the field, grabbing C9s / C6s / track & bolts for the cannon / radios / etc and refreshing my own basics, often having to grab the nearest troop to help. Want me to plan and execute a raid, no problem, but detail strip and re-assemble a C6? The skill fade is real and dramatic, and largely because we glossed over it in training and never touched it again...

Evad said:

If you're talking about trying to commission without a degree, then yes, it'll be a long time. There are some programs to allow people without a degree to get one and take a commission. UTPNCM is one of those and it is a competitive program for sure.

ballz said:
In short, I would say yes. If you want to try it out instead of committing to a bunch of obligatory service, I would say enrol in the PRes as an infantry soldier* whilst doing a degree. If you decide you want to become an Officer in the Reg Force, *given today's current climate and the forecasted needs in the infantry corps*, it should be fairly doable to Component Transfer to the Reg Force and start Inf O training.

As for what degree, none of them gives you a leg-up in becoming an Inf O, so do something you could see yourself doing / using if the military was not an option.

*I say infantry soldier because I wish I had more time working on basic soldiering skills. I find myself now as a LAV Captain, when there is nothing going on in the field, grabbing C9s / C6s / track & bolts for the cannon / radios / etc and refreshing my own basics, often having to grab the nearest troop to help. Want me to plan and execute a raid, no problem, but detail strip and re-assemble a C6? The skill fade is real and dramatic, and largely because we glossed over it in training and never touched it again...

If you're talking about trying to commission without a degree, then yes, it'll be a long time. There are some programs to allow people without a degree to get one and take a commission. UTPNCM is one of those and it is a competitive program for sure.
Alright, thank you for the information. This will defiantly help me out a lot when I do decide to stay in or not.
Happy thanks giving as well :)

Hi there, I apologize in advance if any of this was previously answered **

I'm an Infantry Officer Candidate at the moment, and hope to be on course for Dismounted by next fall/winter (2016).
I saw the numbers and spoke with others about the roughly 50% failure rate of DP 1.1, and am working now to prepare myself for it.

Are there any recommendations of methods to physically prepare yourself beforehand to prevent a Medical RTU?
I'm currently doing 13km hikes in combats with 25lbs (my backpack can't carry more) every other week, and using rubbing-alcohol to harden my feet. As well as my usual weight training (3-4x/week) and 3-5km runs (2x/week).

If anyone has any additional advice I'd greatly appreciate it
Thanks!  :)

OP Overlord said:

I'm an Infantry Officer Candidate at the moment, and hope to be on course for Dismounted by next fall/winter (2016).
I saw the numbers and spoke with others about the roughly 50% failure rate of DP 1.1, and am working now to prepare myself for it.

Are there any recommendations of methods to physically prepare yourself beforehand to prevent a Medical RTU?
I'm currently doing 13km hikes in combats with 25lbs (my backpack can't carry more) every other week, and using rubbing-alcohol to harden my feet. As well as my usual weight training (3-4x/week) and 3-5km runs (2x/week).

Before the course....

Do. Not. Get. Injured.

That is all....  :nod:

OP Overlord said:

Sounds like you're already on a good start.  Mental toughness is much more important than physical toughness, although both are vital.

Cheers

Technoviking said:
Sounds like you're already on a good start.  Mental toughness is much more important than physical toughness, although both are vital.

Cheers

I concur.  Just go hump in the woods weekly and do your normal PT routine you follow. 

Hello Army.ca Forums:

As a naive university student, it is my goal to serve as a regular force infantry officer after I graduate, ideally in a Parachute Company. I've read many of the topics about serving as an infantry officer on this forum, and a question that I have that I do not believe has been answered is, what happens if you fail infantry officer training?

I understand that when you enter BMOQ and Combat School, you need to be there ready to train, and I am doing everything I can as a civilian to get ready for the infantry; however, after reading that the attrition rate for infantry officer training is upwards of 50%, I had to be honest with myself about the very real possibility of failing. I'm sure that many-if not most-of that 50% who failed also showed up to train with the utmost intention of passing. So what happens to that 50%? Are they just recycled until they pass or choose a different trade? To be honest, and this view might change, but if I was not to pass as an infantry officer indefinitely, I think I would prefer to work for the RCMP or CSIS rather than choose a trade that isn't infantry. This however seems problematic as the army has just invested in me enough to send me through BMOQ. If someone doesn't pass as an infantry officer, is it possible for them to give up their commission and try as an infantry NCM? I don't want to screw the army over with some narcissistic mentality, so if I fail, I understand, but what options are there if you do fail?

I have absolutely no previous military experience so everything I'm saying is speculation but on a personal note, I've read some of the most hellish descriptions of serving as an infantry officer on these forums, and everyone of them makes me more attracted to the infantry. It looks like the hardest job that one can volunteer for. The technical elements of the trade are fascinating as well as the logistical manner in which one must think. The very structure of the army is extremely interesting, with the divisions and organizations of ranks. It looks like a very mentally stimulating job. The culture of the infantry is also extremely attractive, especially that of Airborne Infantry. I like how harsh and brutal it has been made out to be. It sounds fulfilling and worthwhile. It sounds like the only job that I could ever want. From the outside looking in, being in the infantry, and specifically being a paratrooper, looks like the greatest job that anyone could possibly have.

Thank you

Isaac

isaac.m.hicks97 said:
, what happens if you fail infantry officer training?

That would be a good question to ask at a CFRC.

This is from 2008. But, it discusses the subject,

Tango2Bravo said:
If it is just that the infantry is not for you but you have qualities that the CF find desireable you might find yourself in another occupation.  If, on the other hand, you cannot meet the standard (or show the potential to meet the standard) of any of the occupations you would most likely be shown the door but normally without any hard feelings.  There are many steps, however, before you get to that point and it is not arbitrary. 

I wouldn't worry about it too much, since worry won't achieve very much. 

The one thing that you can control is your level of fitness prior to training.  Getting in great shape is perhaps the one great thing that you can do to set yourself up for success.

Interesting. Many moons ago when I was staff on Ph III Infantry any candidate that failed could transfer to the artillery or to the engineers (provided they had an engineering degree for the later) as an officer. Things have probably changed but someone from the Inf Sch should be able to chime in.

We were also only allowed to use positive language, for example my first year there we didn’t have a 60% failure rate but instead had a 40% pass rate.

As mentioned elsewhere here, the reality is not everyone can be a padre, and likewise not everyone can be in the infantry, interesting goal on the para coy.

isaac.m.hicks97 said:
From the outside looking in, being in the infantry, and specifically being a paratrooper, looks like the greatest job that anyone could possibly have.

Nailed it.  :nod:

Go for it. No 'death bed regrets'!

Back