• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

French spouse moving to English Canada!!!

Nikki55

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has some tips, stories, experience or anything on how life is when your spouse speaks only French and follows you to an English base, for the both people in the couple...
My civilian husband doesn't speak much English, although he fully understands it, and we are moving to Winnipeg after my basic training. Will he be able to find a job, find others that speak french (military or civilian), and are there any english classes that he could take?  :cdn:

Winnipeg has a large franco population.
Don't sweat it..... but english language lessons would be a good idea to look into
IMHO

Hey Nikki, I'm in the (reverse) same situation. I recently released after 24+ years to follow my wife (franco acadian) to her last posting before retirement at HMCS Jolliet, Sept Iles Que (north east) .Been here for about 6 weeks: beautiful place,friendly people,  but startin' to believe I'm the only anglo here. I expect myself and your hubby will have fun learning our respective 'other' official language, and be the better person for it.

Cheers

-gerry

Militi Succurrimus    "We hasten to aid the soldiors"

Hi Nikki,

I was born and raised in Winnipeg and you will want to move to the St. Boniface area. (about a 40 minute drive from the north base)

It is the french community in Winnipeg. Everyone their speaks english and french and as wonderful sense of community.

I will also have to say that it is one of the more beautiful parts of the city.

Enjoy the peg and good luck in the future

Sue

(ps.. stock up on the "skeeter" lotion & listen to the radio for "Skeeter " alerts)

thanks everyone!!!

and good luck xo31... I used to live in Sept iles, and trust me, you might be the only anglo...  :cdn:

Naw......
there are a bunch of newfs working for Iron Ore Co.....
Oh yeah - anglos..... guess not

geo said:
(ps.. stock up on the "skeeter" lotion & listen to the radio for "Skeeter " alerts)

Now why would you want to harm/chase-away our Provincial Bird. The alerts are for the local bird watchers, don't listen to Geo!!  ;D

GAP said:
Now why would you want to harm/chase-away our Provincial Bird. The alerts are for the local bird watchers, don't listen to Geo!!  ;D

:rofl:

Back