• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freedom Convoy protests [Split from All things 2019-nCoV]

Last I checked diesel doesn’t start very well in the cold so they’d better leave them running. And there are a couple ‘historically disadvantaged groups’ who like to hang out downtown and they like to steal cars for entertainment. A running vehicle is pretty easy to steal. This is going to be hilarious! I can’t wait! I’m gonna go get some storm chips
Old school mechanical diesels maybe, but contemporary common-rail electronic diesels don’t even hiccup at -30° and below. 2700-3000bar (40,000-45,000psi!) injection pressures make glow plugs and long cranks a thing of the past.

Old school mechanical diesels maybe, but contemporary common-rail electronic diesels don’t even hiccup at -30° and below. 2700-3000bar (40,000-45,000psi!) injection pressures make glow plugs and long cranks a thing of the past.

I was gonna say, I drive a 2020 Ford Diesel and I've never had an issue starting it up in the winter.

I think sounds better when it's cold lol

Well that’s substantially less entertaining. At least their claims are some of the dumbest things I’ve ever heard so there’s some entertainment in that.

Well that’s substantially less entertaining. At least their claims are some of the dumbest things I’ve ever heard so there’s some entertainment in that.
That’s still entertaining, I’m sure.

I enjoyed the geographical declaration that from Toronto to Winnipeg is just a few hours drive.
I wonder if that was the Torontonians complaining that the reunion wasn't going to be in Ottawa (5 not 2 hrs drive for them).

I can’t even tell what they’re trying to accomplish. Party? Fundraising for themselves?

I can’t even tell what they’re trying to accomplish. Party? Fundraising for themselves?
If it’s anything like what I saw in February, it’s probably generalized grievances against the current government and larger notions of the world power structure. Some of it will be based on real stuff, some will be based on serious misconceptions or info that’s no longer current, and some appears to be increasing based on complete nutjobbery.

It’s not a monolithic movement; there are various loose and overlapping affinity groups, and it seems like individual egos play a big role. There seems to be pretty frequent tension and infighting. And of course at the edges there’s overlap with some pretty concerning individuals and groups who are much less benign than most of the ‘freedom’ movement types are…

I had heard something was going down with JP.

Genuinely scary stuff. We need to learn to stop punishing people for opposing political view points.
This is only going to boost JP popularity and fame. Keep or lose his license, he will gain even more of a larger following. Its a win for JP either way.

Re: the popularity of invoking the Emergency Act amongst Canadians.

The occupiers were view by most Canadians as entitled cry babies (mostly white men) and having the government crack down on them was no big concern.

What will the feeling be if a future government decides the antics of a less privileged group requires emergency powers?

I still feel that the government over-reacted and had the tools at hand to deal with the occupation.

Last edited:
I enjoyed the geographical declaration that from Toronto to Winnipeg is just a few hours drive.

Won't be the same without the Metro Police horses.

I've seen them have a calming effect on " fired up " people.

Re: the popularity of invoking the Emergency Act amongst Canadians.

The occupiers were view by most Canadians as entitled cry babies (mostly white men) and having the government crack down on them was no big concern.

What will the feeling be if a future government decides the antics of a less privileged group requires emergency powers?

I still feel that the government over-reacted and had the tools at hand to deal with the occupation.

Most polling data showed at the time and to this day that most Canadians were ok with it. And while most remained entrenched in their original positions, there was an uptick in favour of it after the inquiry. I’m also of the opinion that most Canadians don’t really understand it. I mean, people still think it’s the « war measures act ».

The feeling about using it again will depend on whether Roberta Paulsen gets killed again or not at the next one. Hopefully she survives Winnipeg.

My real question:

Was there an actual threat to Parliament? Didn't the HoC and Senate continue its business during the occupation? This idea that there was an actual threat to the workings of the government was a bit of a red herring IMO.

My real question:

Was there an actual threat to Parliament? Didn't the HoC and Senate continue its business during the occupation? This idea that there was an actual threat to the workings of the government was a bit of a red herring IMO.
It was all still mostly virtual I think.

Not sure if that was brought up as a justification on their part during the inquiry though.

It was all still mostly virtual I think.

Not sure if that was brought up as a justification on their part during the inquiry though.
There were still MP's, Senators, and Civil Servants coming to and working in Parliament Hill. There was no threat of a physical take over of government by the occupiers.

There were still MP's, Senators, and Civil Servants coming to and working in Parliament Hill. There was no threat of a physical take over of government by the occupiers.
Like I said it was still mostly virtual. So the workings of government was never really impacted. And as I said, I’m not sure if that particular reason was used to justify the use of the act.

Back