• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Free TV for life? Android box

I have the kodi program and the "channels" set up on my laptop...im not really a fan. Yeah i can get everything for free but the streams are not always good and im a slave to HD.
Ive kept my cable and wont go to only the android box

opcougar said:
Yet you have no qualms paying Netflix Hulu and streaming through repositories using KODI, which as far as you are concerned is free beacuse it has always been free because the movies and songs available just happen to make themselves available.

"cutting the cord" is a myth, as all you are doing is re-diversifying your monthly payments. I mean is your internet and cell phone(s) bills free?

But guess what, whether I'm streaming television or not, I'm still going to pay for my internet and cellphone. Why? Because I need to pay my bills online and have a way for my kids to get ahold of me.

I am someone that came from tha land of TV licence also, and as you might well know...there was a price for black and white, and one for colour TV. People go to jail for not owning a TV licence, but I loved the fact that I could watch a whole movie on the telly without being interrupted with naff commercials every 2 mins.

I wish such option was available here in Canada.

For those saying they are "streaming"....are you streaming it from the main networks or from a pirated server somewhere? I don't expect you lot to give a honest answer as you are just dancing around the question. No TV shows/movies/music is free, someone is making them available to you and you are just stealing (sorry...streaming) it.

Chris Pook said:
I'll stick.

The first television programme I ever saw was on a television my parents paid a license to own.  That paid for the broadcasting system and the programme.

When I came to Canada, we lost the licence fee but got stuck with commercials, supplied by people that wanted me to buy their stuff and who paid the broadcaster to ensure that there was a reason for me to sit in my seat and watch the tube.

Paying for cable TV through the big 3 does not pay an actors salary.  You are simply paying Shaw or Rogers for the technology to stream TV to your screen.  If our high $$/month paid for the production of the shows - why do we still get subjected to advertising?  Adverts pay for programming - plain and simple.  That's why a show with poor ratings gets cancelled - not enough people watched the Doritos commercial - doesn't matter that Rogers still paid for streaming rights to a particular show.

I cut all ties to TV in my house - I stream with a clear conscience as I know that I am not a Neilsen rating statistic, therefore I know whether I watch a show or not will never cause a blip in the way that production occurs.

Ditch said:
Paying for cable TV through the big 3 does not pay an actors salary.  You are simply paying Shaw or Rogers for the technology to stream TV to your screen.  If our high $$/month paid for the production of the shows - why do we still get subjected to advertising?  Adverts pay for programming - plain and simple.  That's why a show with poor ratings gets cancelled - not enough people watched the Doritos commercial - doesn't matter that Rogers still paid for streaming rights to a particular show.

I cut all ties to TV in my house - I stream with a clear conscience as I know that I am not a Neilsen rating statistic, therefore I know whether I watch a show or not will never cause a blip in the way that production occurs.

Indirectly does it not?

Fox creates Family Guy.
Rogers Pays Fox the right to stream family guy
Rogers Sells add space to Doritos.
You Pay Rogers to to Watch Family Guy (Among other things).

However everyone pays everyone and if you don't Pay Rogers
Dorito's won't pay Rogers because no one is watching it
Rogers won't pay Fox
Fox Won't Pay the actors.

How does new content great created? Under the current model it can't/wont.

Has everyone been screwing over the consumer? 100% But It hasn't been up until say 2010 that streaming was this feasible. 

Before the Internet, Fox on it's own couldn't get Family Guy to everyone and needed to use Roger's Infrastructure.

Now we have companies like FaceBook Talking about FREE internet. As long you don't mind them tracking you and selling your every move it is free. But honestly why not it is free, I'll do it. They already track all my browsing history with chrome. Might let em have it all.

https://fiber.google.com/cities/kansascity/plans/

Sure it is 5mbps, but it is free. You can get a 1gbps for $70 a month. Insane, I had some lucrative student deal and I got 25mpbs down and a 300gb cap for $50 a month, which is crap compared to that. 

Are we soon going to see you can only "stream Fox with Rogers". Or exclusive channels based only on your ISP? Maybe but I imagine that FaceBook/Google will slowly cut out the middle man and just do it all themselves.

I'd reckon in the next 5-10 years we are going to see some big changes. Not just will telecommunications but also banking (when was the last time you went into a bank), transport (driver less cars), retail (I buy everything online, I only go to a store if I need it NOW or when it is a high quality item), logistics (amazon drones).

Once I graduate my bank wants to charge me fees, for what? They only pay me like 0.005% interest and lend my money out to other people for much more.  I already do the tellers jobs on my phone. I'll switch to Tangerine or PC banking. When I need a mortgage, I'll be able to tweet all of the Big 5 and ask who can give me the best rate. I won't even need to go the bank. Hell the only reason i need to go to bank these days is for quarters and loonies for a washer/dryer (which is less and less common because everything is switching to "smart laundry cards"), Farming (GPS tracking, steering).

I'm not really sure where we all plan to work... but who knows.

What is worrying the big cable companies, if I understand it correctly, is not the cord cutters but the cord nevers.  There are more of them coming along all the time.  They're the real threat to cable as they're liable to make it irrelevant.

jollyjacktar said:
What is worrying the big cable companies, if I understand it correctly, is not the cord cutters but the cord nevers.  There are more of them coming along all the time.  They're the real threat to cable as they're liable to make it irrelevant.

I really don't understand why anyone would buy it in the first place (After 2010 or so). It costs way too much for what it is worth. However i have never been one for "following a series". The shows that I like I own the physical season of and I watch them when I want to.  Sports maybe, but with all the blackouts why not just stream it? I want to watch every game for my team.

I also don't understand how these sites can even exist?

https://www.reddit.com/r/NHLStreams/

It isn't like anyone is even trying to hide the streams. Yet every game a bot makes a thread and then deletes it after the game, all streamed by yours truly "Youtube".

runormal said:
Sports maybe, but with all the blackouts why not just stream it? I want to watch every game for my team.

It isn't like anyone is even trying to hide the streams. Yet every game a bot makes a thread and then deletes it after the game, all streamed by yours truly "Youtube".

This is my current way of watching my local hockey team.  I paid for NHL gamecenter for years.  First I lost the ability to watch any games in my  local area then I lost the ability to use a VPN.  I said frig it and use Reddit for all my games. 

If you want to keep your conscience on the "light" (vs "dark") side - consider this...  How many shows do you really watch religiously?  (Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, etc).  Add them up and consider what it costs to buy the entire season off iTunes - usually about $30-40/season (that's a guess).  Average Cable TV package that has HBO and AMC - approx $75-100/month.  That's almost $1200/year just to watch your core programs - kids TV is a waste, just pay for Netflix or SHOMI and you're set.  Do the math and see how much you are saving.... 

The headache associated with the repositories on these boxes, is not worth it. I know many a people that have cut the cord, only to go back to cable because their D-niner wasn't happy with the inconsistency, and them not being able to watch or their trash shows.

runormal said:
I really don't understand why anyone would buy it in the first place (After 2010 or so). It costs way too much for what it is worth. However i have never been one for "following a series". The shows that I like I own the physical season of and I watch them when I want to.  Sports maybe, but with all the blackouts why not just stream it? I want to watch every game for my team.

Alternatively, you can just point your browser to the link below and watch the shows without any commercials

http://www.couchtuner.ag/

Ditch said:
If you want to keep your conscience on the "light" (vs "dark") side - consider this...  How many shows do you really watch religiously?  (Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, etc).  Add them up and consider what it costs to buy the entire season off iTunes - usually about $30-40/season (that's a guess).  Average Cable TV package that has HBO and AMC - approx $75-100/month.  That's almost $1200/year just to watch your core programs - kids TV is a waste, just pay for Netflix or SHOMI and you're set.  Do the math and see how much you are saving....

opcougar said:
Alternatively, you can just point your browser to the link below and watch the shows without any commercials

http://www.couchtuner.ag/

And the legitimacy of this site - and indeed streaming - is plain in their disclaimer at the bottom of their home page:

CouchTuner.com do not host any videos or uploads any media files which is found here. This site only contains links that lead you to other sites (eg. vodlocker.com, allmyvideos.net, vidbull.com, youwatch.org, exashare.com, allmyvideos.net, putlocker.com and others). So the CouchTuner.com is not liable for any copyrighted, legality or any other aspect of the linked sites mentioned. If you have any legal complaints please contact the appropriate media file hosters.

Stealing is stealing.

My point was to point out to the folks who claim....."they are streaming", and not downloading

PPCLI Guy said:
And the legitimacy of this site - and indeed streaming - is plain in their disclaimer at the bottom of their home page:

Stealing is stealing.

So much for the CRTC suggestion...these imbeciles (cable companies) continue to stick it to the masses.

Bell's new terrible pricing structure has come out for the a-la-carte pricing scheme as mandated by the CRTC.. Here's some lowlights:

Starter Package is $24.95 and includes
ABC, APTN, CBC, CHCH, CityTV, CTVTwo, Fox East, Global, ICI RDI, Meteo Media, TFO, NBC, TV5, TVA, PBS, CPAC, CTV, The Weather Network, OMNI 1 & 2

All other packages seem to be increasing in price (in Ontario)

"Good" package $47.95 increasing to $56.95
"Better" package from $79.95 to $82.95
"Best" package from $114.95 to $117.95

The "Select" package is now gone the way of the dodo.

Pick and Pay channels are now $4, $7, or $15 each.
You can do a-la-carte channels as well, 1 channel is an additional $4/month, whereas 10 channels are $37/month.

You can get individual sports channels for $7 or $15 depending on the channel, which can be rolled into a $25 "sports pack" if your cost exceeds that of the pre-set sports packages.

Movie networks remain the same price but include new bundles:

"The Super Pack" for $37 includes all the M/Mfest/MFN/MXS/MEncore, as well as HBO, crave, and Super Channel.

There's no more discounts whatsoever with the starter pack (the base $24 package), no hardware offers or retention deals.

So, what was supposed to give more choice, is going to end up costing us more.. yay!

Back