• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Fort Garry Horse?

• Thread starter corporal-cam
  • Start date
C

corporal-cam

Ok, I know Reservists are expected to parade 1 night a week and 1 weekend a month but does anyone know if everyone parades the same night? I was wondering since Fort Garry Horse is all reservists they probally don‘t parade all on night because then they‘d only be open 1 night a week. And if different people parade different nights do we get to chose what night and what weekends or do we go when they tell us?

well in my unit we have one main parade night on thursdays. there is also an Admin night on mondays for Sec Coms and 2ic‘s and so on.

during the week there are also Daystaff who work in the BOR Transport and supply elements of our unit. along with the day staff we also have Reg force vtechs who work for MSS out of london down at our base in the maintenance shop.

so your unit will probabbly only parade one night a week, and a couple weekends a month, but there are also going to be people there during the day and what not.

hope that helps

corporal-cam - you will parade on whatever night the unit you join parades. Most Army Reserve units parade on Thursdays (though not all, particularly where multiple units share the same garrison, like Moss Park Armouries in Toronto). Weekends are exercises - they average one per month during the training year (Sept - June), but there may be additional weekends laid on.

All reserve units have "day staff", usually the Reserve Support Staff (Reg F types) who see to the day-to-day operations of the garrison. There is usually an administration night (my unit‘s is on Tuesday) where officers and snr NCOs can get paperwork done - these nights have been slashed, however, due to budgetary concerns.

FGH parades tues night.
then every second weekend *this can change to every weekend if testing/ex/course/ etc

don‘t you have to be 16 to even do your medical, CFAT, interviwe, and physical.... if so you wont be joing this summer.

Actually it works out well for me because I also go to air cadets and since I didn‘t want to miss going to ITAC in Gimli this summer I‘m taking basic during the winter. I‘m also glad that FGH parades on tuesdays since cadets parade on thursdays, wednesdays and saturdays for me (busy busy)

As was said earlier, we go every tuesday night, and it averages out to 2 weekends a month.

Manitoba seems to be all on Tuesdays, Alberta is Wednesdays and BC is Thursdays. I don‘t think anyone parades on Mondays or Fridays, but each Brigade tends to be different.

Are there any Garrys out there This is the unit that I am most interested in joining in september right now I'm looking at my options and I'd like a members presepctive what are the high points and low points of being a Garry?
Thanks,
Bergen

The Fort Garry Horse....

In my humble opinion, the best reserve Regiment in the CF.  Made me who I am today, and served with some of the best.  Probably one of the Regiment's that is the most reverent of it's history that I have ever come across.  I still carry my coin (join and find out what that means).  If you sign up, you will be carrying on a piece of Canada's history.  Do it with pride....

I've been a Garrys for a couple years now. I know its said alot, but we really are like a family. I went through somewhat rough times a while back, and the guys were there for me. If you do join, make sure to check out www.fortgarryhorse.ca . It never hurts to know about the unit you are joining.

combat_medic said:
I don't think anyone parades on Mondays or Fridays, but each Brigade tends to be different.

We do! (Parade on Mondays that is.) Sorry had to feel special.  :p

Blackhorse7 said:
The Fort Garry Horse....

In my humble opinion, the best reserve Regiment in the CF.   Made me who I am today, and served with some of the best.   Probably one of the Regiment's that is the most reverent of it's history that I have ever come across.   I still carry my coin (join and find out what that means).   If you sign up, you will be carrying on a piece of Canada's history.   Do it with pride....

I have to agree with Blackhorse on this.   He and I did basic together, trained together and partied together.   The Garry's are a family.   Once a Garry always a Garry.   I also still have my coin ( thanks to FGH_Recce_DJ) and I still have my jacket.

Future Unknown,  you wanted some high points and low points.   Low- not enough training, but alot more than when I was there.   High- when you do training, the experience in most of the senior NCM's is amazing, they have alot they can teach

We are very lucky in 38 CBG to have two excellent Recce units: the FGH in Wpg, and the SK Dragoons in Moose Jaw. They are both good in their primary tasks of training (although both face problems common to all Res units) and excellent in their community footprint/connecting with Canadians tasks. Both have strong unit identities and as far as I can tell as an outsider, very strong family spirit. They also set a fine example to the rest of the Bde (and, IMHO, the rest of the Army Res...) by working together well on courses and FTXs, despite the distances between their locations.  IMHO the real key to their success has been the strength of unit leadership that they have been blessed with. It makes all the difference in a Res unit. All units must face similar obstacles: it is the ones with good leadership that thrive.

Cheers.

Back