• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Former Japanese PM Shinzo Abe Assassinated

brihard

Army.ca Legend
Mentor
Reaction score
This is very currently breaking, but former Japanese PM Shinzo Abe was just shot in a public appearance, and credible Japanese news sources are quoting public officials as saying he is in ‘cardiac failure’. There’s already video out of the shooting shot by people watching his speech. The shooter is in custody. Looks like a sawed off shotgun, fired from behind.

This is very currently breaking, but former Japanese PM Shinzo Abe was just shot in a public appearance, and credible Japanese news sources are quoting public officials as saying he is in ‘cardiac failure’. There’s already video out of the shooting shot by people watching his speech. The shooter is in custody. Looks like a sawed off shotgun, fired from behind.

Got link to footage of the attack?

IIRC, being the PM of Japan in the interwar period was hazardous to one’s health. Many assassinations and attempts on PM’s
Last assassination was in 1960, before that 1932, a lot of attempts but few successful. It's being pointed out that this event was only selected within the psst 24h so the shooter did not have much time to prepare

BBC’s identifying the shooter as a former Japanese Navy member. Explosives have been found in his house- not clear if they mean IED, or simply more of whatever he used as propellant in the improvised firearm.

The suspect apparently has told police that he was "dissatisfied with former Prime Minister Abe and aimed to kill him". Kind of a no-shit there.

Talking with my good friend in Japan, shockwaves from this are going to be huge. They practically don’t even think about violent crime over there, never mind almost ever experience it relative to us.

BBC’s identifying the shooter as a former Japanese Navy member. Explosives have been found in his house- not clear if they mean IED, or simply more of whatever he used as propellant in the improvised firearm.

The suspect apparently has told police that he was "dissatisfied with former Prime Minister Abe and aimed to kill him". Kind of a no-shit there.

Talking with my good friend in Japan, shockwaves from this are going to be huge. They practically don’t even think about violent crime over there, never mind almost ever experience it relative to us.

I thought given the fact it was allegedly an event scheduled at the 11th hour, that high level Japanese organized crime was maybe involved?

I thought given the fact it was allegedly an event scheduled at the 11th hour, that high level Japanese organized crime was maybe involved?

Good point. I know virtually nothing about Japanese OC but Pablo Escobar (Colombian drug lord) had people assassinated. This would be a major escalation.

Given that the firearm looks to be cobbled together literally with plumbing pipes, duct tape, and lumber, I doubt that.

Given that the firearm looks to be cobbled together literally with plumbing pipes, duct tape, and lumber, I doubt that.
You seen some of the pop guns Jamaican Organized Crime uses?

Me Gwan Go Blot!Blot!

Yah, I just saw the gun, pretty devastating at close range though and would be easily concealed.

Zip gun. Interesting. Not saying it’s the case but gangs love zip guns because it’s a dead end as far as tracing goes.
Not the first Japanese Politician that would potentially be assassinated by Yakuza either. The Yakuza assassinated the Mayor of Nagasaki in 2007.

Interesting tidbit here:

The Kudo-kai is a particularly violent yakuza family based in Kitakyushu, on the southern island of Kyushu. In 1998, members gunned down a 70-year-old man in public, at point-blank range. The alleged motive? The victim, Kunihiro Kajiwara, refused to give favorable treatment to yakuza in public works projects. In 2002, four members of the gang were arrested for the incident, and two convicted. In 2014, an alleged senior member of the gang, Satoru Nomura, was also arrested in relation to the incident.

Other attacks carried out on civilians by Kudo-kai include alleged grenade assaults on the homes of Kyushu Electric Power executives, and multiple strikes on the home of then-future Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, using Molotov cocktails.

Zip gun. Interesting. Not saying it’s the case but gangs love zip guns because it’s a dead end as far as tracing goes.
Guns are extremely regulated and rare in Japan.
Even if it was a ‘real’ firearm it would have been stolen from either LE or Mil or illegally imported.

Not the first Japanese Politician that would potentially be assassinated by Yakuza either. The Yakuza assassinated the Mayor of Nagasaki in 2007.

Interesting tidbit here:

Huh, interesting tidbit, thanks for that. Be curious to see what emerges as a motive.

I saw the double barrelled cannon he built. Brutal. And apparently he had a bunch of other home made stuff at home too.

Back