• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Format of Memos

So I found the manual of military abbreviations on the DIN - the most recent copy.

Dist is District
Distr is Distribute or Distribution

I will return with the pub number, link, and page.

You are indeed correct and I rescind my previous statement.

Pub number: A-AD-121-F01/JX-000

Pages II-D-4 and III-D-5.

I've always put Dist and no one has ever corrected it.  :-\

Edit to add:  Sorry, no link.  It's a PDF file and probably too big.

Moe:

I've had NCO RMS Clks submit memos with "Dist List" on it, and have had course staff teach it, it's a very common mistake, and one I think most people aren't even aware of.

It's apparently only us anal retentive whackjobs who notice. ;)

My 9r is instructing the QL3 RMS-Navy at the moment and her standards still refers to Distr  = Distribution List as PMedMoe referred to.

combat_medic said:
I've had NCO RMS Clks submit memos with "Dist List" on it, and have had course staff teach it, it's a very common mistake, and one I think most people aren't even aware of.

Given that most units are still considering A-AD-121-C01/FP-000 (or the document they've based their Group/Command/Unit military writing policies upon) to be the gospel of military writing, is it any surprise that "Dist List" is still being used?

Until a CF-wide standard for military writing is adopted, woe be the superior who bounces my (or my subordinates') memo because of the difference between "Dist List" and "Distr List".

Occam said:
...woe be the superior...

Wanna wring your neck in now, or shall some poor unfortunate superior have to do that for you?  >:D

xena said:
Wanna wring your neck in now, or shall some poor unfortunate superior have to do that for you?  >:D

Already been down that road.

I'm undefeated against red pen-wielding memorandum slashers.  ;D

"No matter how good you are, there's always someone better."

If you keep that kind of attitude of yours when you cross paths with someone better at this than yourself (and higher rank)....  You might be wishin' you'd listen to that old retired git who told you to wind your neck in.

Just sayin' you've been warned.  (About life, that is.  I'm not a site mod and this has nothing to do with the forum rules or anything.)

xena said:
"No matter how good you are, there's always someone better."

If you keep that kind of attitude of yours when you cross paths with someone better at this than yourself (and higher rank)....  You might be wishin' you'd listen to that old retired git who told you to wind your neck in.

That's not attitude.  That's over 25 years of experience (and counting) dealing with people who have nothing better to do than red ink a time-critical memo which one of my subordinates has written because it has 6 blank lines between the body and signature block instead of 5, all because two different writing guides are being used and neither is official.

Just sayin' you've been warned.  (About life, that is.  I'm not a site mod and this has nothing to do with the forum rules or anything.)

Thanks.  I've learned to pick my battles wisely.

combat_medic said:
Moe:
It's apparently only us anal retentive whackjobs who notice. ;)

It's always nice when someone else recognizes her too    >:D

Occam said:
Until a CF-wide standard for military writing is adopted, woe be the superior who bounces my (or my subordinates') memo because of the difference between "Dist List" and "Distr List".

Our Unit SOPs state the ref standard to be used for Military Writing ...

And if it's not the standard used ... I'm bouncing it back at you. If required, I'll quote the ref to the pers sending in the wrong format if they want to get into a pissing contest over it, the link to the Unit's SOPs regarding what format they are supposed to be using. The standard is published ... and available right from the get-go to the guy/gal who chooses not to follow that standard while doing up their time-critical memo by utilizing things such as Dist and X number of spaces, double spaces after periods etc etc. I've always found that a good way to avoid delays in time-critical memos is to follow the Unit's published standard format from the get-go --- vice getting irritated at the Supervisor who calls you on the errors and non-adherance to the Unit standard.

Woe be the one who insists the Unit's standards aren't applic to him/her until "there is a CF wide standard adopted".

I'm curious as to whther or not you also refuse any leave passes which contain a request for "short leave" ... you know, at least refuse them until there is "a CF wide standard adopted" on subj because there certainly isn't a CF-wide standard on short leave right now.  :camo:

ArmyVern said:
Our Unit SOPs state the ref standard to be used for Military Writing ...

Good on your unit for having a standard for Military Writing set in their SOPs!

I'm referring to situations like one superior using the LFDTS Military Writing Guide, another in the chain using a Navy writing guide, while my subordinate was using the Staff and Writing Procedures for the Department of National Defence and the Canadian Forces (which is obsolete but still available in a half dozen places on the unit network folder, including the Unit OR).

The only problem is:  Our unit isn't Land Forces or Maritime Forces, and there's nothing in unit orders dealing with the issue.  So in the absence of unit policy, what standard is to be used?  1 Cdn Air Div writing procedures, if the member is wearing light blue in a purple unit?  MARCOM writing procedures, because the unit CO wears a Navy uniform?

Before you ask, the answer is "Yes" - it's been brought to the attention of the CoC that our unit lacks a policy.

And if it's not the standard used ... I'm bouncing it back at you. If required, I'll quote the ref to the pers sending in the wrong format if they want to get into a pissing contest over it, the link to the Unit's SOPs regarding what format they are supposed to be using. The standard is published ... and available right from the get-go to the guy/gal who chooses not to follow that standard while doing up their time-critical memo by utilizing things such as Dist and X number of spaces, double spaces after periods etc etc. I've always found that a good way to avoid delays in time-critical memos is to follow the Unit's published standard format from the get-go --- vice getting irritated at the Supervisor who calls you on the errors and non-adherance to the Unit standard.

Woe be the one who insists the Unit's standards aren't applic to him/her until "there is a CF wide standard adopted".

That's fair - you have a unit standard that you can quote when you red ink a memo.  In other units, even after the lack of unit standard is pointed out, the red inking goes on to the frustration of everyone involved.

There are precious few people in this outfit who aren't overtasked and overworked.  Wouldn't it make more sense that in the absence of a national (or at least a Command or Unit) policy for Military Writing, that we abandon the nit-picky red ink strokes because a memo is missing one line between the body and signature block?  I'm sure we all have better things to do than shuttle what's supposed to be an informal document back and forth numerous times.  If it's important enough to red ink memos over and over, then it's important enough that someone issue a policy on it.

I'm curious as to whther or not you also refuse any leave passes which contain a request for "short leave" ... you know, at least refuse them until there is "a CF wide standard adopted" on subj because there certainly isn't a CF-wide standard on short leave right now.  :camo:

The new CF Leave Manual seems to be pretty clear on the subject, n'est-ce pas?

That's about all I have to say on the issue, lest we flog deceased equine.

Occam said:
The new CF Leave Manual seems to be pretty clear on the subject, n'est-ce pas?

That's about all I have to say on the issue, lest we flog deceased equine.

Yes it is, "At the discretion of the CO" ... Unit policy, nor "CO discretion" does not equal a CF standard. Some Units on the same base see 2 X short per month being handy out like candy (ie: a "given"), while others see 2 for Christmas, 2 for New Years and diddly squat the rest of the months of the year.

Same shit - just a different pile.

Ultimately, the "standard" should be in writing. I once fired a memo up the CoC asking whether or not members could request 2 X days short leave when their spouse had child (mbr was not taking PATA etc). The response that I got from the CoC was:

"CO wants to know how many days annual the mbr has left".

My response was "that doesn't matter; what is the COs policy wrt granting of short leave for childbirth?" Response was CO's policy was to make a decision based upon whether or not mbr had 10 days annual left or not.

To which I then responded that "mbr has 13 days annual left, yet will not be granted short leave for childbirth because his wife had their child in November and thus his Christmas Block leave hasn't been taken yet? Seems fair --- to grant 2 X short leave for childbirth only if your wife happens to give birth in Jan/Feb/Mar. Where can I find this 'discretionary standard' in writing (It [childbirth] wasn't listed under the "CO Short Leave" circumstances policy)?"

In any case, mbr ended up getting the two days short leave ... and it was added to the CO's policy on granting of SL as this:

"CO will grant 2 X short leave upon birth of child." - now in writing AND with the less than 10 days annual left caveat having disappeared.

Journeyman said:
It's always nice when someone else recognizes her too    >:D

Hello, Pot, this is Kettle......you're black!!  ;)

Back on the memo issue.  When I was at 427 Sqn, we had an officer whose sole purpose in life (and at work) was to "correct" memos that had been submitted.  I recall memos taking weeks just to get submitted (never mind approved) due to minor mistakes.  Thankfully, I never had to submit one.

Vern, I agree on the short leave thing.  It states at the discretion of the CO, yet we were always told we couldn't request it.  ::)

What should you put for the 4 digits at the bottom of the signature block if you don't work at the base and don't share the same first 3 numbers of the phone number?

And what if the person you are addressing the memo to is in a different spot of the country (aka my SEM, which is my CoC, but who's office is not in the same province).

Can you just put your actual primary phone number at the bottom of it instead in (###) ###-#### format?

ballz said:
What should you put for the 4 digits at the bottom of the signature block if you don't work at the base and don't share the same first 3 numbers of the phone number?
Put your entire phone number.
ballz said:
And what if the person you are addressing the memo to is in a different spot of the country (aka my SEM, which is my CoC, but who's office is not in the same province).
Then that should be in a Military Letter format (I think it may be called "Letter to a Military Addressee")
ballz said:
Can you just put your actual primary phone number at the bottom of it instead in (###) ###-#### format?
See above.  I don't know why not.

Technoviking said:
Then that should be in a Military Letter format (I think it may be called "Letter to a Military Addressee")

Shat... We never learned anything about "Letter to a Military Addressee" in BMOQ ???

Even if it's your CoC? My CoC is my Assistant ULO then ULO then SEM. In theory I was going to hand the memo (addressed to the SEM) to the Assistant ULO and it would go up to the SEM and come back down... That *was* the plan anyway.

In reality he is coming here this Wednesday and I have an appointment with him so I was basically going to show them all at one time anyway.

ballz said:
Shat... We never learned anything about "Letter to a Military Addressee" in BMOQ ???

Even if it's your CoC? My CoC is my Assistant ULO then ULO then SEM. In theory I was going to hand the memo (addressed to the SEM) to the Assistant ULO and it would go up to the SEM and come back down... That *was* the plan anyway.

In reality he is coming here this Wednesday and I have an appointment with him so I was basically going to show them all at one time anyway.
If you are going to hand bomb it up, then yeah, make it a memorandum.

Back