• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

For the older guys...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Major_Malfunction

Inactive
Reaction score
Now, I've done a search and really couldn't find a topic like this, so, if there is one already out there, my apologies for this repost.

This doesn't neccessarily have to be in the Navy area, but since that's where I'm hoping to go, I thought I'd get a better response from the right people here...

As a 32 year old, (I know 32 isn't old) if I really love the Navy like I hope I will, how do you handle getting older and staying active and involved? What i'm asking is, i'm sure at 45 I'm not going to be able to do the same things I can do now... so, how do you keep on going once you've been in 15-20 years and your spot on the diving team has been taken by some young guy or gal? Or, whatever the case may be... you're just losing a step here and there.

I'm going to assume there are always going to be challenges and new avenues to go down.

But really, for you guys that have 15+ years in: what keeps you motivated?

Two words: Pensionable Time ... j/k  ;D

As you age and (hopefully) increase in rank, your challenges will become more personnel and admin related and less and less physical ... unless you choose to continue that route, which some do and they can remain in very physical jobs their entire career.

Unless you start dealing with nagging injuries or issues like that, there is no reason you can't kick the young guys arses for years to come ;).

In my experience I've seen many senior NCM's that are hard as nails and can outrun, outlast many of the newer guys..( especially the video game generation).  I see alot of softies around nowadays.

And like Otis said....as you move up the ranks, you'll be busy running things and perhaps not participating as much

There's all kinds of threads on "older" people joining the military.  Most of them are in the Recruiting sub-forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back