• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

For Female Marines, Tea Comes With Bullets

observor 69

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
October 2, 2010
By ELISABETH BUMILLER
MARJA, Afghanistan — They expected tea, not firefights.

But the three female Marines and their patrol were shot at late on a recent day, when a burst of Kalashnikov rifle fire came from a nearby compound. The group hit the ground, crawled into a ditch and aimed its guns across the fields of cotton and corn.

In their sights they could see the source of the blast: an Afghan man who had shot aimlessly from behind a mud wall, shielded by a half-dozen children. The women held their fire with the rest of the patrol so as not to hit a child, waited for the all-clear, then headed back to the base, survivors of yet another encounter with the enemy.

“You still get that same feeling, like, ‘Oh, my gosh, I’m getting shot at,’ ” said Lance Cpl. Stephanie Robertson, 20, speaking of the firefights that have become part of her life in Marja. “But you know what to do. You’re not, like, comfortable, because you’re just — ” She stopped, searching for how to describe her response to experiences that for many would be terrifying. “It’s like muscle memory.”

Six months ago, Lance Corporal Robertson arrived in Afghanistan with 39 other female Marines from Camp Pendleton, Calif., as part of an unusual experiment of the American military: sending full-time “female engagement teams” out with all-male infantry patrols in Helmand Province to try to win over the rural Afghan women who are culturally off limits to outside men.

As new faces in an American counterinsurgency campaign, the female Marines, who volunteered for the job, were to meet with Pashtun women over tea in their homes, assess their need for aid, gather intelligence, and help open schools and clinics.

Rest of article plus photos and video at LINK

That's actually quite interesting!

I know a friend of mine, for years she was your typical girlie-girl (french manicure, the Luis Vuitton bags etc etc) and then one day she called me and said "So when are you going in for BMQ? I leave this weekend."

I was shocked... I didn't fully believe what I was hearing, I though I'd gone crazy because you could never imagine her enlisting. When she told me the story about how she learned about the situation of Afghan women and she felt that by signing up she'd be able to somehow, in some way help them.

I haven't heard from her in a while; but I believe she's a Med Tech with 15 Fld Amb and had done a tour already. I do know she signed a 15 year contract.

It made me all warm and fuzzy inside  :p

If she's in 15 Field Amb then how did she as a Reservist sign a 15 year contract? And I haven't heard of anyone being offered a 15 year, usually you do your initial 3-4, then a 3(VIE)then you are offered the 18-19 year contract or 22/21 if you signed career contract(forget the proper name) after your IE.

If she's on contract, then she'd be Reg Force and not in the Reserves.

Anyways, back on the topic, good article,  but I doubt she actually said "oh my gosh" at the start of a TIC.. usually theres more swearing in that lol

-Skeletor- said:
If she's in 15 Field Amb then how did she as a Reservist sign a 15 year contract? And I haven't heard of anyone being offered a 15 year, usually you do your initial 3-4, then a 3(VIE)then you are offered the 18-19 year contract or 22/21 if you signed career contract(forget the proper name) after your IE.

If she's on contract, then she'd be Reg Force and not in the Reserves.

Anyways, back on the topic, good article,  but I doubt she actually said "oh my gosh" at the start of a TIC.. usually theres more swearing in that lol

Isn't 15 Fld Amb in Edmonton a RegF unit? Anyway, she's a RegF Med Tech within 1 CMBG and she told me she's in for 15 years and she might do more.

lethalLemon said:
Isn't 15 Fld Amb in Edmonton a RegF unit? Anyway, she's a RegF Med Tech within 1 CMBG and she told me she's in for 15 years and she might do more.

15 Field is a Reserve unit in Calgary and Edmonton, 1 Field Amb is the 1CMBG Field Amb in Edmonton. Support units typically have the same number as the Brigade they are in, ie 1 CMBG has 1 Field Amb, 1 SVC BN, 2CMBG has 2 Field Amb, 2 SVC, 15 CBG has 15 Field Amb, etc

-Skeletor- said:
15 Field is a Reserve unit in Calgary, 1 Field Amb is the 1CMBG Field Amb in Edmonton. Support units typically have the same number as the Brigade they are in, ie 1 CMBG has 1 Field Amb, 1 SVC BN, 2CMBG has 2 Field Amb, 2 SVC, 15 CBG has 15 Field Amb, etc

Ah okay, I knew 15 (Calgary) Fld Amb was a Reserve unit; I used to live in Calgary - I though that 15 (Edmonton) Fld Amb was the RegF counterpart. She's a member of 1 Fld Amb then.

lethalLemon said:
She's a member of 1 Fld Amb then.

What the hell does "Fld" stand for?  Flood?  It's Fd.

I also doubt she signed a 15 year contract.

OK folks, we have a certain thing called "topic".

Bruce

Baden  Guy said:
October 2, 2010
By ELISABETH BUMILLER

But the three female Marines and their patrol were shot at late on a recent day, when a burst of Kalashnikov rifle fire came from a nearby compound. The group hit the ground, crawled into a ditch and aimed its guns across the fields of cotton and corn.

In their sights they could see the source of the blast: an Afghan man who had shot aimlessly from behind a mud wall, shielded by a half-dozen children. The women held their fire with the rest of the patrol so as not to hit a child, waited for the all-clear, then headed back to the base

What happened to all that Marine sharp shooter stuff?  ;)

Am I the only one who thinks this is a little sexist?

I mean, imagine if the article was about Marine men weightlifting with local Afghans and it was titled "They expected weightlifting, not firefights."

Or, if men sat down for tea, would then use the same title? Or even bother writing an article?

Baden  Guy said:
October 2, 2010
By ELISABETH BUMILLER

In their sights they could see the source of the blast: an Afghan man who had shot aimlessly from behind a mud wall, shielded by a half-dozen children. The women held their fire with the rest of the patrol so as not to hit a child, waited for the all-clear, then headed back to the base, survivors of yet another encounter with the enemy.

“You still get that same feeling, like, ‘Oh, my gosh, I’m getting shot at,’ ” said Lance Cpl. Stephanie Robertson, 20, speaking of the firefights that have become part of her life in Marja. “But you know what to do. You’re not, like, comfortable, because you’re just — ” She stopped, searching for how to describe her response to experiences that for many would be terrifying. “It’s like muscle memory.”

Six months ago, Lance Corporal Robertson arrived in Afghanistan with 39 other female Marines from Camp Pendleton, Calif., as part of an unusual experiment of the American military: sending full-time “female engagement teams” out with all-male infantry patrols in Helmand Province to try to win over the rural Afghan women who are culturally off limits to outside men.

As new faces in an American counterinsurgency campaign, the female Marines, who volunteered for the job, were to meet with Pashtun women over tea in their homes, assess their need for aid, gather intelligence, and help open schools and clinics.

Rest of article plus photos and video at LINK

It's the whole American ideal that women should not be on the "front lines" of a conflict.....never mind that front lines don't really exist anymore. In the current environment at any rate.

Wook

I've read a book written by a female soldier and she descripted Military Police as the "female infantry job".

Back