• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Fmr GG Becoming PPCLI Col-in-Chief

3rd Herd said:
...tradition this makes perfectly logical sense. Maybe they should reissue the regimental handbook from the dinosaur days and then hold literacy classes. ;D

Hear! Hear! I heartily agree...

And for those who do not see the tradition being followed here, consider this.  HRH Princess Patricia was the daughter of the then Governor General.  She was resided in Ottawa in 1914. A very good mini history lesson for those who wish to read and learn: http://www.gg.ca/gg/fgg/bios/01/connaught_e.asp

Now we have the former Governor General as Colonel of the Regiment.  The traditional link with the office of the Governor General is renewed by this appointment.
There should be no disgruntlement with this appointment.

BTW, today is Mrs. Clarkson's Birthday!

If she hadn't taken such a positive role in the military I'm she would not have been recommended.

So why stop there? Why not add some more honourary colonels-in-chief from Canada - how about Guy Lafleur for 12 RBC? he visited the troops in Afghanistan. Why not more of the people who went out of their way to support Cdn troops? Adrienne Clarkson is a superb choice, Rick Mercer for that helicopter squadron is another. Now who wants Wayne Gretzky, or Mario Lemieux?

Not being a Patricia, I'm a tad dumbfounded by all the hullabaloo. I had the pleasure to attend a luncheon in Edmonton With the GG and her husband. I learned a bit of regimental history during that short timeframe, specifically a well spoken childhood story. Throughout her tenure, Mme Clarkson was a friend to every member in uniform. Congratulations PPCLI, this is definitely someone that will serve your regiment with absolute pride.

JackD said:
So why stop there? Why not add some more honourary colonels-in-chief from Canada - how about Guy Lafleur for 12 RBC? he visited the troops in Afghanistan. Why not more of the people who went out of their way to support Cdn troops? Adrienne Clarkson is a superb choice, Rick Mercer for that helicopter squadron is another. Now who wants Wayne Gretzky, or Mario Lemieux?

My thinking exactly Jack. There are many distinguished Canadians that would prove excellent in similar roles.  Again congrats to AC. She will do well in the position.

At the looks of it, many here are starting to confuse the appointments of Honourary Colonel and Colonel-in-Chief.  These are two different positions, not one.

Yes you are right mr. Wallace... there should have been a slash there - honourary colonels/colonels-in-chief. I do have a question though - aside from Prince Philip - who was renowned for his attention towards the RCRs - do any of the royals care about their regiments? Princess Anne perhaps - but the others?

JackD said:
Yes you are right mr. Wallace... there should have been a slash there - honourary colonels/colonels-in-chief. I do have a question though - aside from Prince Philip - who was renowned for his attention towards the RCRs - do any of the royals care about their regiments? Princess Anne perhaps - but the others?

Talk to the Strathconas about Prince Charles - the relationship there is quite close...

I've heard some pretty good things from some older members of the C & E Branch about Princess Anne.

I love that our C in C was the first member of the royal family to face criminal charges since King Charles I was charged with treason in 1649.

LineJumper said:
Prince Andrew was a pretty solid supporter of The Airborne Regiment.

"Solid" is an accurate description. I never could quite grasp why he was wearing both Canadian pilot's and jump wings however, having qualified for neither.

Good to hear about old Chuck - i asked him once for a job and a dukedom but alas, he told me to check the local job board - no mention was made of the Dukedom.. Seriously though, I thought Lord Strathcona was the hcc of the strats? How 'bout trying for Wayne Gretzky or Mark Messier- you know the Edmonton connection - as honourary colonels? All good PR!

JackD said:
Good to hear about old Chuck - i asked him once for a job and a dukedom but alas, he told me to check the local job board - no mention was made of the Dukedom.. Seriously though, I thought Lord Strathcona was the hcc of the strats? How 'bout trying for Wayne Gretzky or Mark Messier- you know the Edmonton connection - as honourary colonels? All good PR!

Unlike Rick Mercer, have either Gretzky or Messier done any real support of the military? Nothing comes to mind. I could see Guy Lafleur being an Honourary Colonel, he's actually gone to visit troops in Afghanistan.

Just for clarity, Regular Force combat arms units do not have Honorary Colonels (although Reserve units do).  They have Colonels-in-Chief, typically an august personage and a Royal, and Colonels of the Regiment - usually (always?) a very senior former serving officer.

Teddy Ruxpin said:
Just for clarity, Regular Force combat arms units do not have Honorary Colonels (although Reserve units do).  They have Colonels-in-Chief, typically an august personage and a Royal, and Colonels of the Regiment - usually (always?) a very senior former serving officer.

Actually, that is a little confusing also.  The Royal Canadian Dragoons have HRH Prince Charles as "Colonel-in-Chief" and Col (Ret'd) Appleton as "Colonel of the Regiment".  The Colonel of the Regiment came into existence in 1958, and the first one was Maj Gen C.C. Mann, CBE, DSO, CD (2 Sep 1958 to 21 Nov 1964).  MGen Mann was the last Honourary Colonel of The RCD, prior to that (15 Dec 1949 to 1 Sep 1958).

So, The Royal Canadian Dragoons have gone through "Honourary Colonels" from 1908 to 1958, and then "Colonels of the Regiment" ever since 1958.  Just some UFI:  Their first Colonel-in-Chief was His Majesty King George V.

Sig_Des said:
Unlike Rick Mercer, have either Gretzky or Messier done any real support of the military? Nothing comes to mind. I could see Guy Lafleur being an Honourary Colonel, he's actually gone to visit troops in Afghanistan.

Depends on the philosophy behind what an Honourary is supposed to do - does s/he get it for supporting the unit, for being able to put some resources into supporting the unit ("patron/patroness" of the Regiment), or for being able to raise the public profile of the unit?  In a perfect world, it would be all three, but since the world isn't perfect, different units may have different aspirations/requirements for their honouraries.

Back