• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

FMP - Which one?

Testify

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I've been debating which FMP I should go with from cpgear.

#2 http://www.cpgear.com/default.asp?mn=1.19.56&f=pd&pid=9

or

#3 http://www.cpgear.com/default.asp?mn=1.19.56&f=pd&pid=1

#3 looks like it be handy but it's an extra $15.  I just want to know if it's worth it.  I'll be in Infantry so I assume I'll be working with maps? 

I know this seems like marbles to what I should be thinking about but I've heard these things are really good to have and the ones from Canex aren't the greatest.

Thanks for any input/advice.

You'll be going Infantry. 

Which will fit reasonably in your pocket and not cause any serious discomfort on a very long march?

That should be your first concern if you want to become a Kit Slut.

I would go with #3. I've had mine for two plus years and it's still going strong. The clear plastic provides a good place for course handouts and anything you want to quickly reference.

George Wallace said:
You'll be going Infantry. 

Which will fit reasonably in your pocket and not cause any serious discomfort on a very long march?

That should be your first concern if you want to become a Kit Slut.

#3 is larger, for a long march I tend to transfer mine to the inner left pocket of the tacvest

GW:
Well not that I want to become a kit slut, I just think that having a field pad will be worth having.  And a dry one even better.  These things don't look much bigger than a wallet.    I can't see them being a pain.  Although I have never thrown on the gear that I will be wearing in the upcoming months.  Do you think that one of these would be useless?

FH:
So #3 isn't uncomfortable to carry around?  Do you have approx. dimensions?

Thanks to both.

Testify said:
FH:
So #3 isn't uncomfortable to carry around?  Do you have approx. dimensions?

Thanks to both.

FMP #3 is approximately 6" x 6 1/2". It is not uncomfortable to carry around. However, on a long march the FMP will tend to cause some friction burn when placed in the cargo pocket of the combat pants, but this is true of nearly every type of 'hard shell' item when placed in the cargoes during a long march.

Wow, I would never have guessed they were that large.  I was thinking more of something like 4" by 5".  Either way, it sounds like I'll go with #3.  I'm sure I can find a spot for it that wont be too uncomfortable.  By the way, are they pretty good at keeping the insides dry?

Testify said:
GW:
Well not that I want to become a kit slut, I just think that having a field pad will be worth having.  And a dry one even better. 

You may want to do a Search on "Ziplock" bags.  There was a discussion somewhere in the forums of what was "necessary" kit for the field.  It had some pretty good ideas that were not expensive and quite practical.

Testify said:
Wow, I would never have guessed they were that large.  I was thinking more of something like 4" by 5".  Either way, it sounds like I'll go with #3.  I'm sure I can find a spot for it that wont be too uncomfortable.  By the way, are they pretty good at keeping the insides dry?

yes, even better when they are in a zip-lock bag...like everything else you want to keep dry.

I have a #3 and like it a lot.  My biggest beef with it is its size, I have recently moved to a #6 , with the addition of three pen slots sewn on the front.  I have found that I use my FMP more for quick notes then anything else.

On an other note, having the FMP #3 in your cargo pocket, on a long march/ex, leaves you with a chafed spot on your leg.

just my 2 cents

I've been using #2 for years & for a variety of tasks and found it to be more than sufficient.  It holds sufficient amount of pens & pencil, a ruler, a roamer, and an exacto knife just fine.  Checklists, templates, and references are all easily stored inside the cover.

I've seen people using #3, and that little fella explodes with useless essential kit.  It'll hold enough pens to resupply the Chinese army & the plastic sleeves are more cumbersome than useful.  If I ever need that much crap, I'll just use a junior general kit.

I've seen people using an FMP pad in a ziploc bag and storing their pens in a breast pocket.  Just as useful as either combination, with the added bonus of fitting into a pocket quite well.

This thread brings up a good point in that currently we do not list the dimensions of our FMP covers, and as such, there is some confusion regarding sizing.  I'll get that rectified here shortly.

http://www.riteintherain.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=935&Category=757b0f73-3217-4621-95ef-c088f669c379

Rite in the rain notepad. I can be a bit scatterbrained at the best of times and if I don't write everything down I'm a total mess. For 99% of what you do, a Rite in the Rain notepad is the most convenient thing to have on you. This is my "go to" notepad.

Having used both #1 and #3 as posted above I much prefer (and own) #3 - but I really don't use it very often. You just don't need something like that unless you're a section commander or 2ic that needs to keep track of admin or you're a signaler that needs to quickly take info over the net... Otherwise its just a pain in the ass to carry around all the time.

I have for many years used the #3 FMP cover.  Lots of room under the front flap for my Statler's and pencils.  The back of it, there is a zip pocket, that held my mini-ruler, protractor w/measuring string, bridge-class aide-de memoire, etc.  Inside, when I flipped it up, there was some important SOPs that were map-tacked under the upper "window" for easy reference, or key codewords, etc.  The "mesh flap", if it is still the same design, was very handy as well.  In the front "window" of that, I kept Tp level SOPs for quick reference.  In the pocket of that flap, I kept my lens' for my mini-mag, to change off if/when, for some reason, the Tp color's were changed, or if I changed Tps in the field.  I also tucked my copy of my Tp ADREPs in this part x 3 days, so if/when there was a question or "debat" with 49C as to what I had ADREPd, I could pull it out quickly, hand it to him before he told me to pound sand and get out of his $@#@#@ running re-sup.

I have seen some people (read Cpls on CLC/PLQ) go out and buy those JGs kits/case;  and I said "not required, you aren't at Bde #@# HQ".

Yes, FMPs will rub you raw in the map pocket if you leave it there for a duration.  I used to fold my map, to fit into my map pocket (in a zip lock bag of course) on my pants, and then put my FMP on the outside of the map.  No chaffing.  Later, I just added an extra utility pouch to my wedding for my FMP, map, Cutex, and triangle bandage.  Worked great for me.  When the crap hit the fan and I was in a rush, I just jammed the FMP and map down the front of my cmbt shirt, carried on, and sorted it out once we got the Tp moving.

Garrison?  I had a FMP that I cut in half so it would fit into my combat shirt pocket.  I found that "half FMP" WAY to small and narrow to be useful in an O Gp, in the dark, rain, and cold, trying to write fast with a Tp Ldr who had 5 minutes to give Tp orders and no time for my questions due to timings from higher.

For me, the "map against the leg in the map pocket, then FMP against the map" worked every time...

If you buy one, and don't like it...no biggy.  Just get the one that works for you.  I had the "economy model" one at first and found it didn't do what I needed it to, so when I found the one I was looking for, I gave the economy model one to one of the new guys in the Sqn that had SFA .  You look after your troops too, whenever you can.  It made his job as my JAFO easier, and he learned by "doing".  Win win.

The other thing....once I had all my orders, CEOIs, at the time codes, etc in my FMP, during my O Gp to my Ptl, I could simply state "orders, codes, yadda yadda will be in my FMP in my FO or pocket"...my 2 i/c or crew would know where they were if they needed them.  We trained that way....leaders at all ranks, die in combat.  Someone has to take their place...quickly and effectively IMO.

"Train the way you fight, fight the way you train" 

My 2 pennies.

Back