• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Flying out to St. Jean - Apparel Question..

new recruit

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm flying to St.Jean in two weeks. I have a friend who is flying out tomorrow. I asked him this morning what he was going to wear on the flight. He said he probably won't wear jeans. I was totally planning on wearing jeans. Does it matter?

Khaki's and a shirt with a collar make a nice first impression. Want to look sharp right off the mark don't ya!

Girls wear khakis now also don't they.  :D Sorry, yes of course dark dress pants would be ok. A note, you will see people stroll in there with every kind of shit imaginable on, just remember you are going to a job, to become a professional soldier. First impressions are lasting impressions.  8)

The joining instructions I got ahold of wanted dress pants, dress shoes, and a dress shirt, preferably with tie, and maybe even jacket.. I showed up in dress pants with a golf shirt, figuring I might get yelled at a bit but it wouldn't be a big deal.. When I got there people were showing up in sandals, tank tops and surf shorts. Apparently the dress code isn't enforced much anymore (others may have different experiences however). And if you're leaving St Jean at 330am for a flight, there won't be anyone around to see what you look like anyways.

Feral said:
The joining instructions I got ahold of wanted dress pants, dress shoes, and a dress shirt, preferably with tie, and maybe even jacket.. I showed up in dress pants with a golf shirt, figuring I might get yelled at a bit but it wouldn't be a big deal.. When I got there people were showing up in sandals, tank tops and surf shorts. Apparently the dress code isn't enforced much anymore (others may have different experiences however). And if you're leaving St Jean at 330am for a flight, there won't be anyone around to see what you look like anyways.

On the OTHER hand - who knows what the DS may have noticed.

All you've proved is that you, amongst others, failed to comply with simple direction.

I have to take two flights to get to Montreal so it will be a long morning for me.  My plan is to wear my comfy gym type clothes(sweats) till I get to Montreal then after I get off the flight hit up the bathroom and change into dressier clothes(dress shoes, collared dress shirt, and casual dress pants)

DrSize said:
I have to take two flights to get to Montreal so it will be a long morning for me.   My plan is to wear my comfy gym type clothes(sweats) till I get to Montreal then after I get off the flight hit up the bathroom and change into dressier clothes(dress shoes, collared dress shirt, and casual dress pants)

Now THAT sounds like a sensible plan.

Dress pants, a tie and a jacket?  :eek: Do they compensate you for that purchase, because that will be hundreds that I don't have lying around..

DrSize said:
I have to take two flights to get to Montreal so it will be a long morning for me.   My plan is to wear my comfy gym type clothes(sweats) till I get to Montreal then after I get off the flight hit up the bathroom and change into dressier clothes(dress shoes, collared dress shirt, and casual dress pants)

I understand it is a long flight, but I would recommend against wearing PT strip.  I know that when I worked in recruiting and also at my unit when we gave instructions to troops flying to course etc they were told NO PT strip, no torn or stained clothes etc.  Comfortable does not have to be sloppy.  Khakis and a nice shirt (ie a golf shirt or something along those lines) is perfectly acceptable.  Remember, you are a representative of the CF.  If you want to clarify, I would highly recommend that you phone the clerk you have been dealing with at your recruiting centre.

new recruit,

I would suggest that a semi casual outfit would be appropriate. Say a nice pair of slacks, a nice shirt or blouse and a pair of sensible shoes(low heel) and of course, your hair pulled back(if it is long). Keep in mind that you will be on an airplane so dress comfortably for that also, but do not dress slackish(jeans and a t-shirt). If you do not have any semi casual slacks, then hit VV. I got a great pair from there for under $10(I like thrift stores!)

Hope this helps you out and good luck!!

A skirt is fine.  These are all things that should be covered during your enrolment process.  As I have said before, if you have questions, please ask while you are there.  Their job is to answer any questions you may have.   :)

new recruit said:
What about a skirt?

Sweet Mother of all Good Gods!

Wear something that is presentable and which will, above all else, not reflect poorly upon yourself or upon the CF, which you are now a member of and will be representing.  If you dress like a bag of crap, I guarantee someone will notice, either on the plane or when you arrive at St Jean.

Island Ryhno said:
Is that the teapot that just smashed on the floor?   :D

Third one this week too.  Good thing I am leaving the country next week.

Hmmm..maybe I'll show up in a rented tuxedo....or would I see my instructors wearing it the next day?  :D

Would be a good story to tell the rental store though..  8)

P-Free said:
Dress pants, a tie and a jacket?  :eek: Do they compensate you for that purchase, because that will be hundreds that I don't have lying around..

Nope.  And it needn't cost "hundreds" - just some decent clothing is all that's asked.

Wait until you get to a Regiment, and need to purchase PT gear - you won't be reimbursed for that either.

Back