• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Flying A Helicopter

Status
Not open for further replies.

StevenPeece

Inactive
Reaction score
Guys,
I'm currently working on a novel about former servicemen who get together to pull a payroll robbery and have just reached the stage in the story now where they're going to steal a Sea King Helicopter. Please could somebody provide me with some form of basic knowledge of how to fly one of these things.

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Steve

StevenPreece said:
...where they're going to steal a Sea King Helicopter. ...

Cool!  Can you have them swim out to the middle of an ocean and get one from a ship?? That would be neat!  I would buy that book.

Please Steve, you have to include the lines: "If it bounces, log it as two landings" and "100,000 nuts and bolts flying in a loose formation."

Sea King?? I guess they end up getting caught then. Likely in a shopping mall parking lot, about 5 minutes after take off ;D

Sorry for the tangent. Couldn't resist. ;)

Steven,

I'd suggest shooting a PM at SeakingTacco or Inch, I believe both have flown (or fly) the sea king.

When they fly.  :D

Sorry.  Had to jump in there.

I get it!  It's a comedy!

It's like Three Kings meets Three Stooges!

Are we trying to turn this thread into a contender for the unintentionnaly funny thread?

Dissident said:
Are we trying to turn this thread into a contender for the unintentionnaly funny thread?

I think that was guaranteed from the original post  ;D

Well Then:

"Bob, Larry, Mike and Fred were left puzzled after leaving. Not only did they manage to get away with not one, but two seaking, they were also clutching a warm Double Double each. They couldn't help the lingereing feeling that the techies were quite happy to see the old birds go."

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/copter.php

StevenPreece said:
Guys,
I'm currently working on a novel about former servicemen who get together to pull a payroll robbery and have just reached the stage in the story now where they're going to steal a Sea King Helicopter. Please could somebody provide me with some form of basic knowledge of how to fly one of these things.

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Steve

http://www.swaviator.com/html/issuefm01/basicsfm01.html

Great, thanks for your help guys.  The replies reminded me of the Christmas Carol:  We Sea Kings of Orient are! ;D

However, the humour was good as expected and one of you kindly provided me with the requested info.

Many Thanks and all the very best

Steve

Steve,

As we are all sticklers for accuracy, might I suggest that you send some of your work on that specific subject to one of the SMEs (Inch or SeaKingTacco, as previously mentioned) when you have completed a draft?  Nothing better than an expert to copy edit that type of stuff.  What might seem an insignificant little error to others can seem huge to those in the know.

Good luck with the writing.

And then send me the methodology for the payroll heist.  I mean, uh, for, uh... technical considerations.

One sec, people with red hats at my door.

Strike said:
Steve,

As we are all sticklers for accuracy, might I suggest that you send some of your work on that specific subject to one of the SMEs (Inch or SeaKingTacco, as previously mentioned) when you have completed a draft?  Nothing better than an expert to copy edit that type of stuff.  What might seem an insignificant little error to others can seem huge to those in the know.

Good luck with the writing.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look at this when I've drafted this part.

Also:  Sorry guys I can't share the heist plot with you yet ::)

Cheers

Steve

Unless these guys are trained helicopter pilots, they're going to kill or badly hurt themselves while attempting to lift off.

Unless they've studied the applicable manuals (different names in different countries so get that right too) they're unlikely to get it started and off of the ground.

Unless they've got some familiarity with the machine, they're not going to fly it elegantly.

I'd suggest kidnapping somebody who can fly one.

Loachman said:

You volunteering Loachman?  Oh wait, you said something about flying it eloquently....  ;)

Loachman said:
Unless these guys are trained helicopter pilots, they're going to kill or badly hurt themselves while attempting to lift off.

Unless they've studied the applicable manuals (different names in different countries so get that right too) they're unlikely to get it started and off of the ground.

Unless they've got some familiarity with the machine, they're not going to fly it elegantly.

They just have to couple up the ASE and then twist a few buttons.  ;D

How about having one of the guys be a helo bush pilot in years past before not liking the mosquitos up north and coming back to the big city?

Instead of a Sea King how about stealing a civvy helo that will not fall a part in the air ? Something discrete like an  air ambulance painted bright orange ? The Sikorski twin jet is fast and even has retacting landing gear.

Jim B Toronto.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back