• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Floppy hat

I noticed that when i got issued my kit for Afghanistan, the entitlement for the CADPAT AR Boonie hats had increased to 2. That makes sense as you sweat and need to wash it. I wonder if they will ever increase the CADPAT TW  one too. It would be nice to have a second one so you can send one in for cleaning on long exercises and operations. Perhaps one day.

Just a thought.

Digging up a necro thread, I know, I'm sorry, but I don't want to start a new thread for such a silly question.

I'm currently in KAF, and have been cursing the brim on the arid floppy hat.  I've seen people with short brims, and reading through this thread, I know it's possible to cut them down yourself, but I've also read that supply has the short ones.

Is it better to go ask for a short-brim one, or is there a place here in KAF I can have it shortened?  Unofficially, of course.  ;D 

I'm fairly certain the ones in supply with short brims are there because the previous owner had the brim shortened.  You could ask if they have any in your size, but its not something the army is officially procuring.

There was a place that would shorten the brim, but apparently it is part of the "no-frills no gimmicks" plan and not only is it ceasing operation on 1 May 2010, it also is not taking drop-offs anymore as I found out yesterday when I went to get a pair of shorts mended.

For the love of christ, if you're going to cut your floppy hat make sure you have a full length spare.

People you don't even know who would other wise never give you the time of day will go out of their way to jack you up for having that. People in Kaf go berserk over it.  You're probably better off wearing a hat made out of beaver pelts and unicorn skin.

If you're still unconvinced and you end up doing it yourself;

Cut all the stitching around the edge of the brim. (There is a piece of material that goes around the hat that connects the top and bottom along the side if that makes sense)
Take the brim piece off.  Cut off only one small increment around the brim. I used one layer of stitching for a guide.
Resew the outside piece back to the hat.

Look at yourself in the mirror and take hero pics.
Lots of guys I know cut down their hat but they over did it and when the put it on afterward it looked retarded. It doesn't seem like a lot when your cutting but when you wear it it looks like the british floppy hat, or worse.

If on your first attempt you didn't take enough off, repeat the process.  Better the extra time and effort then either looking dumb  or lying to clothing to get a new hat.

Flawed Design said:
For the love of christ, if you're going to cut your floppy hat make sure you have a full length spare.

People you don't even know who would other wise never give you the time of day will go out of their way to jack you up for having that. People in Kaf go berserk over it.  You're probably better off wearing a hat made out of beaver pelts and unicorn skin.

If you're still unconvinced and you end up doing it yourself;

Cut all the stitching around the edge of the brim. (There is a piece of material that goes around the hat that connects the top and bottom along the side if that makes sense)
Take the brim piece off.  Cut off only one small increment around the brim. I used one layer of stitching for a guide.
Resew the outside piece back to the hat.

Look at yourself in the mirror and take hero pics.
Lots of guys I know cut down their hat but they over did it and when the put it on afterward it looked retarded. It doesn't seem like a lot when your cutting but when you wear it it looks like the british floppy hat, or worse.

If on your first attempt you didn't take enough off, repeat the process.  Better the extra time and effort then either looking dumb  or lying to clothing to get a new hat.

My plan was to just take one row, maybe one and a half rows of stitching off, I don't want it to look like some, hahahaha...  I'll look into it back home, so it may or may not happen anyway.  Thanks!

greazyjungle said:
http://dropzonetactical.com/hats/stubby.html

I got mine here...

I notice it's only available in the TW CADPAT but not the AR. 

greazyjungle said:
Send him an e-mail - limited stock in a few select sizes in AR...

I was just commenting.  I have an AR floppy hat.

Back