• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Flight Steward/Attendant

Just wanted to throw an update out here. So it's been a year since I applied, and I got my message a couple of days ago. Got it! I'll be able to, over the next couple of years, provide updated information if anyone else is looking to head down this path. Got my message Monday, and I head out for AMT (aircrew medical training) next week. I'm excited to see where the next few years will take me. Thanks for all of the info, everyone.

Congrats Sparkplugs!

I just heard about this occupation, and can't find any info on it anywhere. The links in the threads won't work for me, on DWAN or non-DWAN, could you (or anyone else that can help) give me any info on where I can go to read about the application/selection process?

Thanks so much!

Sparkplugs said:
Just wanted to throw an update out here. So it's been a year since I applied, and I got my message a couple of days ago. Got it! I'll be able to, over the next couple of years, provide updated information if anyone else is looking to head down this path. Got my message Monday, and I head out for AMT (aircrew medical training) next week. I'm excited to see where the next few years will take me. Thanks for all of the info, everyone.

Congrats!  AMT in Jan = likely really cold in Wpg. 

Eye In The Sky said:
Congrats!  AMT in Jan = likely really cold in Wpg.

As long as BSERE isn't around then too, you'll be fine    :nod:

hbeanie said:
Congrats Sparkplugs!

I just heard about this occupation, and can't find any info on it anywhere. The links in the threads won't work for me, on DWAN or non-DWAN, could you (or anyone else that can help) give me any info on where I can go to read about the application/selection process?

Thanks so much!

Thanks so much, everyone, looking forward to it! I was in Winnipeg last month for a Flight Safety course, and I grew up north of Thunder Bay, so I'm definitely well aware of the cold, haha!  :snowman:  I'm looking forward to the AMT, it's definitely something I never thought I'd be doing.  The SERE and Sea Survival parts, I'm hoping to wait until a little later in the year, hahahaha!

hbeanie, this is a DWAN link, but it has a ton of info, including a slide show, the pre-reqs, and information on what you need to do to apply. If you need any other info, let me know and I'll do what I can.

http://w08-ttn-vmweb01/cms/en/main/8WingUnitsandSquadrons/unitSelection/437TestPetra/437Flightattendant.aspx

BSERE is called something else now - Aircrew Survival Land or something; I for one really enjoyed my course.  Did it in November, no snow, no bugs, no mud.  I got to eat a bunny eye for supper the night before we went out on our Solo phase.

Sea Survival, good trg and lots of fun (unless you are prone to sea sickness).  We had someone who got green around the gills on the crash boat..before it even slipped lines!  ;D

Eye In The Sky said:
BSERE is called something else now - Aircrew Survival Land or something; I for one really enjoyed my course.  Did it in November, no snow, no bugs, no mud.  I got to eat a bunny eye for supper the night before we went out on our Solo phase.

Sea Survival, good trg and lots of fun (unless you are prone to sea sickness).  We had someone who got green around the gills on the crash boat..before it even slipped lines!  ;D

I'm looking forward to it! Hopefully not in the mosquito/blackfly season, haha!

No idea if I'll end up with sea sickness. Hopefully not! How long do you have to spend in the crash boat?

Sparkplugs said:
How long do you have to spend in the crash boat?

Not long, just the transit out to the 'ditch' area then...you get to jump off it.

They're nice enough to come back to pick you up after a few hours even!

All well worth it, just keep your eyes on the prize  ;)

flight_crew_cbt.png

flight_crew.png

As an aside, it's interesting, with the required training, that Flight Stewards are just a one-posting deal - it doesn't seem like long enough to recoup training costs.  The RAAF has it (Crew Attendant) as a standard aircrew NCM trade.

http://www.defencejobs.gov.au/airforce/jobs/CrewAttendant/

Dimsum said:
As an aside, it's interesting, with the required training, that Flight Stewards are just a one-posting deal - it doesn't seem like long enough to recoup training costs.  The RAAF has it (Crew Attendant) as a standard aircrew NCM trade.

http://www.defencejobs.gov.au/airforce/jobs/CrewAttendant/

Funny you should mention that. Right now they can't afford to post everyone in. For the upcoming couple of courses, they've gone through all of the Trenton applications, and filled it with people who are already posted here. And even though it says it's a 3-4 year stint, there are a few of them who've been in the position well over seven years. Also, I guess it's not that different than anything else -- a lot of trades have a three year initial contract, and the CAF trains them and some of them leave after their three is up. It must be worth it, or they'd make it a longer go, I would think.

Eye In The Sky said:
Not long, just the transit out to the 'ditch' area then...you get to jump off it.

They're nice enough to come back to pick you up after a few hours even!

All well worth it, just keep your eyes on the prize  ;)

flight_crew_cbt.png

flight_crew.png

As long as I'm in a life jacket, I'm all good!  ;D I'm looking forward to it, thanks for the info!

I'm not slighting any current Sqn members, but in the past they have had a problem getting a few career managers to take some individuals back.

captloadie said:
I'm not slighting any current Sqn members, but in the past they have had a problem getting a few career managers to take some individuals back.

I've seen a few who've been there forever. But I've also seen a LOT of techs get booted right at the three year mark, because we (spec pay trades) are more expensive to keep there.

AMT is decent so far! Lots of Powerpoint, but we got to use NVGs today, which was new!

Eye In The Sky said:
You're on AMT with an AES Op from our Sqn.  Small world.

I think it's about a third AES Ops, a third Navs, and a third FA/MP/other. :D There are a lot of flight suits in there, hahaha, just a few of us in CADPAT.

Hello,

I recently applied for the Position Flight Steward/Attendant on the Forces.ca website, I got an e-mail today to send an e-mail to another e-mail address to make an appointment.
I have just finished college last month for Hospitality management and tourism (does not really apply?), and I am very interested in this position.

My question is what are the chances for someone like me with that background to obtain this position? (I do speak three different languages if that helps)
What does this job entitle me to do? (I did read the What they do and Working environment)
What sort of training would I have to go through?
What are the chances for relocation as I currently reside in Vancouver, B.C?

I am not looking at this job as a stepping stone, but as a long time career.

Thank you.

Thank you for this post, I also just made a post myself with a bit more question as well, but this was a great read!  :)

Back