• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Flashpoint - new CBS/CTV show based on Toronto ERT

EW

Inactive
Reaction score
Did a search and couldn't find a reference to this new show, so here ya go......

This week's Maclean's magazine has an article on the new CTV/CBS series 'Flashpoint.'  I'd seen the commercials but totally missed the fact they are wearing Toronto Police insignia.   So much so that the American network agreed to allow the writers to keep it based on the Toronto Police's ERTs, but they changed it to the Toronto Police's Strategic Response Unit.  According to the article, the writers who came up with the concept were inspired by the the 2004 incident that saw an ERT sniper kill a gunman in the middle of Toronto, in front of news cameras.  http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20040825.w4standoff0825a/BNStory/National .  After the sniper managed to kill the gunman and resolve the incident without further loss of life, the writers couldn't help but wonder about the sniper.  That led them to develop the concept and the premier episode on July 11, is supposed to be a similar, fictionalized, situation.  It is said to be only the second major show picked up by an American network, for primetime, that keeps its Canadian story line.  The writers said they shadowed the Toronto ERT, and try to capture how they attempt to keep the level of force from escalating, before resulting to deadly force.  That was said to have attracted the CBS executives who said it was different than the dozen of police SWAT shows they are pitched.  Ya think. I'm sure there will still be lots of good old gunplay and car chases, it is still TV after all.

Articles at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sniper_(TV_series) and http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/show/CTVShows/20071221/home-sniper/20071221/

It's a new series on CBS I believe, about the strategic response unit set in Toronto.  So far I've really enjoyed it - it's cool to see it in a Canadian setting, and the show itself is IMO well acted and intense.  Any thoughts/opinions on this show?  The episodes are available online if you look around a bit. (not sure if posting the link is appropriate?)

I liked it too... until they pulled another JT2 stunt again.

Why does CBS or CBC think it's cool to insert military personnel into a TV show, but get EVERYTHING wrong?

I mean the Guard's little "Afghan" Vet with the drug problem was just... stupid. The Border's little JTF2 thing was also DUMB as hell! They should just STOP.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/show/CTVShows/20071221/home-sniper/20080805/

So far, interesting show. If you've missed any of the episodes so far, you can watch them online at CTV.

Hugh Dillon(ex vocalist of the Headstones, located out of Kingston) is making himself a nice career in acting, I still miss his mohawk though :)

Good shows(Durham county and Flashpoint) but they always drama it up and due to some regulations. I would assume they have to fudge stuff in the best interest of COST and availability of weapons,and vehicles, let alone the little things that make it all "believable"

Cheers

We actually get it on one of the networks here in Arizona. My wife and enjoy it. Primetime no less - pretty good for a Canadian show!

Not a bad show.  Now we are in the military here (well, some of us), so we note certain discrepancies when they do military stuff.  Joe and Jane Q Public don't note that stuff, and instead watch shows such as this for entertainment.

Not a bad show, but I usually don't watch fiction.  News, sports and History channel.  And "Friday nights without borders" on Showcase when I'm all liquoured up ;D

Eh, pretty decent stuff. Lots of MP5's and M4's right? I watched the first 2 episodes, 2nd was weaker than the first but overall it was ok stuff. I just hate how they use Airsoft rifles that cant be purchased in Canada, and I would rather watch real stuff anyhow. Happy its a Canadian show doing well, just wish Trailer Park Boys took off in the states rather than this lol.

Military channell is the best. Futureweapons and Weaponology all day long is fine by me.

Snafu-Bar said:
Hugh Dillon(ex vocalist of the Headstones, located out of Kingston) is making himself a nice career in acting, I still miss his mohawk though :)

Good shows(Durham county and Flashpoint) but they always drama it up and due to some regulations. I would assume they have to fudge stuff in the best interest of COST and availability of weapons,and vehicles, let alone the little things that make it all "believable"

Cheers

i never would have recognized Hugh Dillon if i hadn't read your post. he looks so different hehe

been meaning to watch this show, but my TV rarely leaves Discovery, Military Channel, Spike, or TSN  :p

Wipeout? Try Ninja Warrior on G4, its the original Japanese program and much better. Have you seen that terrible "Help Im on a Japanese game show" program on NBC or whatever?! What utter garbage..

CougarDaddy said:
Amy Jo Johnson? ;D I always thought she looked kinda like Jennifer Garner.
I was thinking the same thing!

By the way, today was the first time I've ever seen any of the show (saw it online), and I'm pretty impressed that its Canadian made.

-Dead

OS, you're sowing your age by not knowing Power Rangers!

been meaning to watch this show, but my TV rarely leaves Discovery, Military Channel, Spike, or TSN 

Lucky!  My roommates won't pay to upgrade the cable.  I can't tell you how much I miss discovery, history and military.

Also, sidenote - I was wondering why I took such notice of that sniper chick.  Pink Power Ranger.  sweet.

And yeah, there are some small things not quite right with the show but I think it's solid!  Decent mix of drama and action. 

Back