• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Five year referencing

PsychoticMuse

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey all.

Recieved application forums and applied for my transcripts from my last highschool.  (it is going to take up to three weeks because i am out of province).

Now heres the clinch. I have little by way of "work eperience" i have been doing predominantly private child care work for 10 years. 5 years ago i up and moved to alberta, and lost all professional contacts. So far the only contact that i can use for my 5 years references is my doctors office. Other then that i am somewhat at a loss.

I went to school for a year but that didnt end on a high note, and i have been a "homemaker" for the last three years as i was pregnant and gave birth to my two year old son.

What suggestions do you guys have for me? Anything? Help!

Thanks!

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Hi! Do not take my word for it, but I think some people managed to get accepted without having their 4 references, but it might depends on more factors than what I am entitled to know, and from what I can see, things have changed in the last few years. A recruiter even told me something that contradicts what was written on the form: The recruiter told me I could put past employers (e.g. a superior from a past job that I had between 2002 and 2003) and more recent ones to even things out, while the form specified that overall, the 4 references had to cover the last five years entirely. After the CFAT, they told me that the form was correct, and that it had to cover the last five years, meaning that if I had no contact with them in the last five years they wouldn't be considered as valid references.

To a lower extent, my situation is similar to yours: As I have been out of school for almost three years and since I am self-employed or employed within my parent's business, there is a two years gap (and still growing since I applied) where I had no professional contact with any valid superior. If anything, there were other employees, but they were either my equal or my subordinates, meaning they couldn't be considered, and I have no family doctor (as it's near impossible to have one in Quebec unless you're older, really sick or have children).

They told me that obviously, I wasn't the first self-employed applicant and that while it could make the background check take longer to process, it was not an automatic rejection. If anything, I will have to explain everything in a subsequent interview.

Try to find someone who have known you for a least a year: it might be a mentor, a personal trainer, a member of a religious order that knows you well enough and the like. Be upfront and ask a recruiter.  ;)

Thanks for the response!

The problem i am having is aside from my family doctor i am not a member of a religious order. I dont have a gym membership (or a personal trainer unless you count the internet) or a mentor. Lol i am pretty screwed that way.

I am fairly sure the my family doctor has been my doctor for five years i will have to contact them tomorrow to confirm. So hopefully that is enough.

I'll try talking to a recruiter again. See if they can give me a more definite response.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Hi,

So I just went through this process myself, and when asked to provide (what I understood to be) four references at 5 years each, it was a daunting and almost unattainable task. The way the portion of the application reads makes it sound like you need each reference to be over 5 years. I was informed that, that is not the case, and that all 4 references need to add up to 5+ years. I managed to pass that portion of the recruitment process with only 3 references, but equaling 12 years.

xMansie said:
Hi,

So I just went through this process myself, and when asked to provide (what I understood to be) four references at 5 years each, it was a daunting and almost unattainable task. The way the portion of the application reads makes it sound like you need each reference to be over 5 years. I was informed that, that is not the case, and that all 4 references need to add up to 5+ years. I managed to pass that portion of the recruitment process with only 3 references, but equaling 12 years.

It's supposed to be 4 references who have known you for 5 years each or since you were 16.

Directly from Forces.ca:

Provide the contact information for 4 references. These people cannot be related to you and must have known you for at least five years, or since you were 16, whichever comes first. Please ensure that you have their permission to use them as references.

The recruiting centre can make exceptions.

That's what I read, and what a recruiter told me when I emailed her: I made sure that my references were valid according to these guidelines.

After the CFAT (February 15th 2017), the recruiter that now takes care of my file told me that one of my references was no longer valid because it was from a job I had back in 2009, and that individually or collectively, the four references timeline needed to cover the last five years or up to since I was 16, (whichever comes first), and that it could be employers from the last five years.

I guess I will wait for their call.  ;)

Back