• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

fitness knowledge

orange.paint

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
A lot of talk had commenced about fitness in our army.I decided I should post a few sites to help people along.

here is a BMI table,offers a rough guide at where you are and where you should be.As the web page states it doesn't work for body builder types etc but can be a good guide/eye opener as other army's still use this.
http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/bmicalc.htm

A very good "gut check" is the USMC fitness testing.It explains the standard etc,If you score perfect your a machine and people should worship you...
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/marines/l/blfitmale.htm

Nutrition is a big part of any fitness lifestyle,lose weight ,gain muscle is all eating different.Here it lay's out where your calories are,if your eating too many/not enough of certain things.Takes a little while to figure out but a good site.
http://www.nutritiondata.com/

Pace calculator.Good for the guys with poor math skills or over long distances where you don't run a perfect 4 min km.
http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/4/4_1/96.shtml

A really good website for per's looking to build up muscle.i like it because you can search per muscle group,watch an actual video of the exercise being done by real people.Has a bit of "beef tech"bullshit weight loss drug stuff,but the exercises are pretty good.
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.htm

this is a personal web page of some fatty who lost all the weight.Pretty amazing.Check out his week by week photo's.
http://www.johnstonefitness.com/

These pers have met the CF minimum standard
http://www.substandard.plus.com/crimestoppers.htm

Hopefully someone will get something out of this,if you have any questions feel free.I have also picked up the running room's book on running and its a pretty good read.Also has training plans for the guy who never ran right up to marathon.

really good site on fitness training

www.crossfit.com

and here are the fitness requirememts for pretty much all CF Tests (BPara, Firefighter, SAR, JTF-2)

http://www.cfpsa.com/en/psp/fitness/tasks_e.asp

Thanks for the site old armour buddy... excellent information.

These pers have met the CF minimum standard
http://www.substandard.plus.com/crimestoppers.htm

I think that if I had any amount of spare time, I would actually start a webpage like this and post pictures of people who don't pass the CF Expres test or the BFT just to shame them. That would be a little bit of a motivator to dump the weight. Who am I kidding??!? They already see themselves in the mirror and don't do anything about it, so why would some photo's on the internet cause them to do anything?

It would be funny though to go through the site to see who made the Hall of Shame though, wouldn't it?

Seriously though, some good links there. Hopefully it'll get some people training smarter.

Al

Allan Luomala said:
I think that if I had any amount of spare time, I would actually start a webpage like this and post pictures of people who don't pass the CF Expres test or the BFT just to shame them. That would be a little bit of a motivator to dump the weight. Who am I kidding??!? They already see themselves in the mirror and don't do anything about it, so why would some photo's on the internet cause them to do anything?

Al

Me and a couple buddies had talked about a similar idea.Only it was "the fatties of the cf" everyone you see around who is huge take a pic and post it (faces and name tags blurred) and have a vote on the most vile person in uniform or the "fattie of the month".Then send him a t-shirt with some stupid "I'm the cf fattie of the month etc".
But between panzer driving and diaper changing I too have no time....but one weekend...

I'm working on getting a few more up,deleted a lot of stuff of my computer.

rcac_011 said:
Me and a couple buddies had talked about a similar idea.Only it was "the fatties of the cf" everyone you see around who is huge take a pic and post it (faces and name tags blurred) and have a vote on the most vile person in uniform or the "fattie of the month".Then send him a t-shirt with some stupid "I'm the cf fattie of the month etc".
But between panzer driving and diaper changing I too have no time....but one weekend...

I'm working on getting a few more up,deleted a lot of stuff of my computer.

Why would you do that? What are ya, chicken?!?! (I'm, of course, making clucking noises, and scratching my feet on the floor, imitating a chicken, and throwing in the odd cluck for good measure). I think the photos should get put on the front page (for the fatty of the month) and then the rest in every edition of the Maple Leaf (though based on the numbers, the Maple Leaf would have to be preeettttttyyyyyy big to handle all of the photos).

Question: for a fella that has never really done any pt other than unit pt (except for physio after broken bones), where is a good place to start (in your opinions)? I can pass the "minimum standard" quite easily, though to be truthfull the chin-ups are getting harder, and a BFT is no problem at all. I'd rather ruck all day than run 5 km. The PT "program" is almost non-existent here

I've talked to the PSP staff here and the ones I have access to are centered on sports, varsity sports to be specific. I don't care about "increasing my reaction time to get the ball" (as I will just wait for the 150 lb punk to get the ball and then I will crush him, if I can catch him that is). I have ran 1/2 marathons (3 two summers ago, best time 2:14 and change), but only through the Running Room program that I used as "physio" after my last surgery (since I was on a stupid chit and was not "allowed" to do pt with my unit). I no longer have the time to do a program similar to that. As a side note, running sucks and I only lost a few pounds. If that's what it takes, so be it. I'm slowly turning into a desk marshmellow and I don't much care for it.

How, or what do I do, to start off properly?

I keep hearing about the "Crossfit" and comparing it the the fitness manual. I've checked out the Marine site (and lots of others). I eat well, not too much, but I am used to a very physical job combined with daily PT and it will be years, if ever, I get back to a proper unit. The desk is killing me, but I do not have the knowledge to fix it. I work right across from the fine facilities of the Field House, and all that it entails, know how to use the machines, etc. But I do not know how to put them together and, unfortunately, my PSP staff have not been very helpful (one was, she is now across the water). Advice?

Crossfit is the way to go, the WOD (workout of the day) should only take 20-30 minutes, and if you are doing them with full intensity, that all the time you want to spend doing them.  You do what ever you want as warm up, myself I use the "official Crossfit" warm up which you can read about in the FAQ.  The really good thing about crossfit is that you can add on to the WOD if you desire (ie you do the WOD, and then feel like pumping out some bicep curls, and tri extension, you can have at it).  Caveat though, if you are unfamiliar with powerlifting exercises, get someone to show you, do not attempt them without knowing how to do them PROPERLY, or you WILL hurt yourself.

Hatchet Man said:
Caveat though, if you are unfamiliar with powerlifting exercises, get someone to show you, do not attempt them without knowing how to do them PROPERLY, or you WILL hurt yourself.
Exactly.  Crosss fit is good if you know what you are doing and dont buy all the BS hype.
The best thing about it is it is short and intense.  For raising your metabolism this is more effective than long and moderate, ie its the best way to lose weight.

Edited to add, Thank you for the links CAC.

Honestly start off with 20 min hard cardio (if your new to it use a elliptical) then when you can increase up to 30 min hard elliptical switch to running 5 km.then slowly build up a km every two weeks first then 1 a week after you reach 15.

Anyway that's what I did.Work out 5-6 times a week throw in a bit of weight training twice a week  on top of cardio.

Ive lost 60 lbs went from 220-150 since last October.I too had a serious accident that prevented me from pt for a few months.Now I'm trying out for csor.

watch your diet find you metabolic rate and go by it. (mine was 1600 calories per day)its what your body burns at rest.

1 pound is 3500 calories.remove 3500 calories by exercise and sensible diet,you lose a pound.I eat about 3000 cal a day now but I run near 30km a day,prior i kept it at 2000 a day.

hope that helps a little

Thanks, it's a start and that's what I need right now. Something simple even an old mech like me can understand. I'm already using that map website (mapmyrun.com) that was posted and have three different runs figurered out.

Now, I don't suppose anyone here is a wiz with calculus?  ???

Here`s a very interesting weight trg site - http://www.bodyforlife.com/exercise/animations.asp

CLICK the Exercise area 2 times to trigger the animations - on the 2nd click the sections expand.

Enjoy!

Check out Bodybuilding.com's suplement articles as well, for good reviews. Quite impartial, not afraid to say when you don't need a product at all.

Here's a great military fitness site. The fella there is ex Navy Seal.

http://www.redwhiteandbluefitness.com/Home.html

But if you want fitness try the Ranger site. When I was course loaded for the Pathfinder course. I could find any thing to get me started. I found the Ranger site to be the best.

Okay im gonna help you out here buddy....

1. from what i gather in your posts you like running as much as i do...which means you prefer to run only if you are a) late for something and double timing it to get your a$$ there ASAP...b) running to get food because you are hungry c) you saw a really pretty girl you wanna ask out lol

so lets drop that idea of running 5 km and then upping your kms by 1 every week...because honestly thats not the best way to go...

Crossfit i'll admit i don't know much about...but it sounds okay...i just don't like how people are saying there are powerlifting exercises in it...or Olympic lifting exercises in it...GET THIS PEOPLE...powerlifting exercises don't exist...powerlifting = sport just like olympic lifting = sport...Cleans, Bench presses, deadlifts, squats, clean and jerks and snatches have been around before those sports were officially started up...so they aren't this type of exercise or that....they are WEIGH TRAINING exercises....

but what i would tell you to do in my personal knowledge would be to weight train 3-4 (45-60mins) times a week max and cardio 3-4 (20-45mins) times a week max.
ditch the elliptical...dont know why that guy said to start on that if you were new...like you don't know how to walk all by yourself already...either powerwalk/jog outside or on a treadmilll or use a bike.

For Weight training...K.I.S.S
simple and effective, no super duper giant quadruple weider staggering principle sets...
stick to basics like:
variations of bench presses
pull-ups, chins-up and pulldowns
deadlifts, barbell rows, dumbbell rows
squats, leg presses, hack squats
barbell curls, dumbbell curls
french curls aka skull crushers, and overhead extensions
military press, dumbbell shoulder press
Cleans

you don't need to get fancy schmancy and decide to you every machine in the gym.

Back