• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Fitness for Operational Requirements of CAF Employment ( FORCE )

dapaterson said:
But no valid fitness test in the year will mean your file will not be seen by the merit boards.

And this means either of:

Failed; or
Not tested for other than medical reasons.

Duckman54 said:
No, Obedientwhateverguy...
;)
Just that all the back-n-forth, especially earlier in the thread, about the specifics of what will/should be tested, and how to train for it, came across to me as trivial.
That's fair you're entitled to your opinion and being a Kinesiologist with 15 years experience you must know a lot about this stuff. 
How much exposure have you had to the military and types of training, injuries fitness and training goals we have?

Kinda reminded me of an old Sesame Street skit...  "Gee Burt, I don't know how to count blocks, I only know how to count oranges!"
Ya know?  Getting hung up on details, not really seeing the end goal.
Okay but what about stacking oranges compared to blocks?  The temperature you're going to store them. What types of oranges.
That may seem silly but throughout your future military career minor seemingly unimportant details will become very important my friend.

Same with running. Just go.  Don't worry if next year's test is 2.4 km, or 10 km, or a 13 km march with a ruck...  just do some kinda aerobic exercise regularly, and stamina WILL improve.
So you're saying if a recruit or someone goes for a light 2.4km jog a few times a week then they will have no problems completing a timed force march wearing helmet, rifle vest and rucksack with weight in it?  How many 13KM marchs with rucks have you done out of curiosity?  In my  experience you get better at rucksack marches by marching with rucksacks.  Just 'doing something' helps but it doesn't train someone to succeed and I've seen people fail tests (physical, practical, knowledge) because of just that.

THAT was my point that was apparently missed. NEVER meant to belittle consequences of pass/fail on one's career.
Maybe I took the context of your post wrong, if so I apologize. It just sounded like someone with no military experience was calling the input and concerns of experienced serving  and retired members silly.

Edited for grammar and added content.

These Ideas seem unique. As an outsider looking in, I always found it odd that organizations such as police, EMS, military etc... Have different  physical standards between genders, considering they are asked to complete the same tasks.

The idea of the testing really intrigues me regarding my occasional tendinitis I get from the CF style push ups while working out at my local gym.  (the more triceps orientated type)

Tank Troll said:
Does any one know if this new test to be done in FFO or PT strip?

Considering it is a CF test and not everyone has combats, let alone FFO, I would say PT strip.

Haggis said:
Once the research began and the results started to show the linkage to the common tasks, the RCAF bought into the FORCE test as being applicable to them. I have heard that the RCAF have decided to retain the services of PSP for the FORCE test.

Rgr, tks!

Anyone have details on this new test? I've heard some folks are being tested with it now.

gelan said:
Anyone have details on this new test? I've heard some folks are being tested with it now.
I was at the gym the other day and listened to the PSP staff explain the upcoming tests with some folks. 

They said that the intention and desire is to have everyone attempt the new test next year.  If you pass, great, you won't need to do the 20 MSR.  If you fail, it won't be counted against you and you can still do the 20 MSR for your fitness test.  They want everyone to get a feel for the new test before it counts.  They did describe the tests and it is what has already been posted here.

After next year, everyone will have to do the new test and the 20 MSR will no longer be an option.  I didn't hear them speak of any exempt levels of accomplishment so I don't know if it will be a yearly thing or not.  And yes, they did confirm that there is no age, sex difference for standards.  We are all equal in that respect.  The PSP folks were already in discussion on the new tests when I came into earshot so I may have missed a detail or two.

AmmoTech90 said:
Considering it is a CF test and not everyone has combats, let alone FFO, I would say PT strip.
Adding PPE & load carriage would raise the threshold of the test, so it would not be possible to do the test in FFO and claim it to be the same thing.  But, from Army Combats to NCDs, everyone does have some for of operational clothing.  As the new test reflects tasks that would have to be done in operational clothing, it would seem appropriate to do the test in that clothing.

If we are smart, the option will be left open for the chain of command to decide between operational clothing or PT clothing because that will not be the difference on a pass or fail. 

I heard the same thing as jollyjacktar from the PSP here,  with the addition of there will no longer be anyone getting exempt.  The test will be done every year.  Also,  the units will run their own tests with PSP overlooking it to ensure standards, etc.

As well it seems like they(PSP) are unsure of what the standards will be at this time.  Not sure if it will replace the BFT for Army units,  or if we will do both tests.

MCG said:
If we are smart, the option will be left open for the chain of command to decide between operational clothing or PT clothing because that will not be the difference on a pass or fail.

If we are smart, one standard will be set for dress and I would guess that it would be PT kit. 

There is significant difference between running the loaded shuttle or rushes in combat boots, sea boots or running shoes.  Not everyone has operational clothing in the RCN or RCAF, particularly those not posted to deployable units.

When I was a guinea pig for the Project, our group brought up a critique about apparel.  On day one, when we were first given an introduction and trial for the different events, we conducted the sandbag drag in combats.  When we did the actual testing for it, we were in PT gear.  Being that the drag was done walking backwards on top of exercise mats, we found that we did not have much grip or ankle support in our runners compared to our boots.  It was harder to dig in with your heels while leaning backwards while pulling at the weight.  Hopefully they have taken some of that into account, even if they at least take away the mats.

For me it's the 20 meter rush test.  I'm damned if I can visualize my completing that GD test in the allotted time.  For the older beasts out there like me, how did they seem to fair with the up and down nonsense?

jollyjacktar said:
For me it's the 20 meter rush test.  I'm damned if I can visualize my completing that GD test in the allotted time.  For the older beasts out there like me, how did they seem to fair with the up and down nonsense?

I was wondering about the time on that one too.  The info that was posted earlier said 51 secs for it.  I couldn't find what my trial time was for this, but I'm going to keep looking for it.  This seems a bit fast though.  Not so much for the running itself but definitely for getting down and up!

How did you find that test in practice?  I know I need some tinfoil but it seems to me with these new tests that they're setting up many people for a mass cull when they don't make the timings and get multiple fails.

jollyjacktar said:
How did you find that test in practice?  I know I need some tinfoil but it seems to me with these new tests that they're setting up many people for a mass cull when they don't make the timings and get multiple fails.
perhaps the new test is not a sign that "they" are setting conditions for mass failure.  Suggesting something nefarious is silly.  Instead, perhaps the "sticker shock" at this new test is a sign that the old test itself was too easy and as a result unable to identify many pers who lacked the physical ability to perform the common tasks.

MCG said:
perhaps the new test is not a sign that "they" are setting conditions for mass failure.  Suggesting something nefarious is silly.  Instead, perhaps the "sticker shock" at this new test is a sign that the old test itself was too easy and as a result unable to identify many pers who lacked the physical ability to perform the common tasks.
And that is why I said I needed some tinfoil.  Because those who need tinfoil are clearly not to be taken seriously as life is usually not a conspiracy.  I think  :Tin-Foil-Hat:

jollyjacktar said:
How did you find that test in practice? 

Personally, I enjoyed the new activties at the trial.  There was more of a purpose to them, and I found that I was pushing myself more to lift a sandbag faster, or add one more to the drag to see what I could actually do.  Out of the original list that we trialled, the ones that they have picked to test do not seem like anything outrageous, regardless of age or gender.  I trust that with the broad range of guinea pigs that they used, that they found that medium by which to test on.

Will some find it too easy?  Definitely!  But there will still be those that have difficulty with it.  Seems the same with any of the tests that we have now or have had previously.

Back