• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Fitness for Operational Requirements of CAF Employment ( FORCE )

Robert0288 said:
I don't see the need for a gym or facilities for a PT session.  You just need room (field/parking lot), your own body weight and maybe a chin up bar.  If you really want to be keen you can grab some water jerrys, or some sand bags.

Body weight PT being all the more potent after all those evenings at Patty's.  ;D

The problem with requiring various pieces of aparatus to run a test like this is that you'll usually never have them available when you need them, or local restrictions will get in the way somehow.

For example: want me to dig a trench? Really? Digging is forbidden on Vancouver Island training areas (yes, really), so there's one criteria pooched already.

Keep it simple and focused on what everyone already has: the outdoors, rucksacks etc.

daftandbarmy said:
For example: want me to dig a trench? Really? Digging is forbidden on Vancouver Island training areas (yes, really), so there's one criteria pooched already.

So maybe we could, say, shovel pea gravel from one box to another to simulate the task of digging a trench?  They do have pea gravel on Vancouver Island, yes?

daftandbarmy said:
Keep it simple and focused on what everyone already has: the outdoors, rucksacks etc.

Much as I like the LFCPFS as a team building exercise, it is a poor indicator of "battle fitness".  It's more about pain management and intestinal fortitude both of which are, quite frankly, important.  But how manyy folks have you seen go out and do the LFCPFS "cold", finish it and walk around like a train wreck victim for the next 4 or 5 days.  That proves nothing.  It does not prove you're "fit".  It only shows that you can manage pain and tolerate approximately three hours of moderate to serious discomfort once in a year.

Hello All,

I have a quick question in regards to the shuttle run. I am scheduled for BMQ training at the end of the month, and having running been running steady, almost everyday. I can comfortably run 5K in 25 mins. I have been told by my recruiter, i should not have a problem with shuttle run. However, I have read many post for those who have failed, so I am doing all I can to be prepared for it. Anyway to the point. I have watched a video provided by CF training on the shuttle run. What I am not clear on is, am I suppose to stop at the line and wait for the next beep, or continue to run even if I have reached the line before the beep has gone off?

Respectfully,

Dennmu

you have to wait for the beeps to run. You get to the line, stop, hear the beep and run back. Repeat........

You only run after the beep.

Beep, you run the 20m to the line across the floor, stop and wait for the next beep,  when you hear the beep run the 20m across the floor.  Repeat until you can not run anymore.

Anyone heard anything about this yet and when it's suppose to be in effect? Rumour has it that they got rid of the push-ups?

The development related to project FORCE is still going on. The CF Expres test, as it has always been, is still the current test.

A short video from the Army site dealing with Project FORCE.

http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/land-terre/news-nouvelles/story-reportage-eng.asp?id=5848

CDN Aviator said:
The development related to project FORCE is still going on. The CF Expres test, as it has always been, is still the current test.

I get that....but the question is, can anyone confirm what one source said about the push-ups not being part of the new proposed CF express test

There's no sense even asking this until FORCE is finalized. Maybe they'll see a need for them by then. Who knows. It's still in development. It's probably still a couple of years away anyway, so as CA said, the Expres test is it, and that has pushups.

This is why we don't deal in rumours.

Milnet.ca Staff

I am one of the Project FORCE test subjects here in the NCR, representing the "broken Infantry males over 50" demographic.

Because the six common task test is resource and equipment intensive (see the video link above), a predictive test will be developed that will include activities that simulate the six common tasks.

As I noted a few pages back in this thread, this is the same methodology used with the CF EXPRES test, which is scientifically designed to predict how an individual would potentially perform on the current Common Military Fitness Task Evaluation without the need for specialized fitness testing equipment/contraptions (other than a grip strength meter which fits in a briefcase).

Project FORCE is centered around developing and vaildating the new six common tasks.  From the test subject's results (well over 800 by now) the team will determine what the attainable standard is on each task.  The predictive test activites will be derived from that much like the EXPRES was derived from the CMFTE.  The short answer is that there has not been a decision we have heard of on what exercises will/will not be part of the FORCE predictive test.

Got this through the grapevine.  Take from it what you will.

Email trail originated at 429 Squadron CO, sent to his Unit:

Bisons,

The rumour mill is working at full speed.  Some of you (likely most of you) have probably heard of upcoming changes to the CF Express Test.

The PT test is set to change on 1 Apr 13.  There is still some clarity required from higher headquarters with respect to PER implications for exemptions and other minor issues.  Trust that all the information will be made available prior to 1 Apr 13.>

For now, realize that for 2012 PER purposes, the current PT Test structure stands.  This means you are required to have the Test completed; a PASS worth 1 PER Board Point and an Exemption worth 2 PER Board Points. 

The big picture is that the changing PT Test has NO IMPACT on your immediate life.  Continue with our established culture of excellence and fitness.

For your information only, below is what the future PT Test is expected to look like:

1. Sandbag lift

Time 3min 30 secs

Setup two 20kg Sandbag 1.25m apart.

Lift bag 91cm off the ground drop it and repeat with bag that is 1.25m apart for a total of 30 times

2. Loaded shuttle run/walk

Time 5min 21secs

Using 20m shuttle lines walk 40m with 20kg Sandbag and run 40m unloaded repeat 5 times for a total of 400 m

3. 20m rush

Time 51secs

Using 20m shuttle lines.start in prone get up run 10 get down on floor do superman get up run 10m get down superman get up turn around run 10 get down on floor do superman get up run 10m get down superman get up turn around repeat for total of 80 m

4. Sandbag pull

Time unlimited just need to complete task

Drag 20kg Sandbag 20m

There will be a 10min warm up and 10 min breaks between tasks

No differentiation for age or gender

Sandbag drag is a set of five sandbags tied together, not just one; other than that, looks consistent with what has previously been briefed.

Last month the Canadian Forces Personnel Management Council (CFPMC) held a meeting where they were briefed on the proposed new test, and the members were then taken to try out the new test.  CFPMC membership is generally (no pun intended) at the 1* level, with representatives from the three environments and some other senior staff.  CFPMC endorsed the proposed new test, and it's going to Armed Forces Council for approval in the (very) near term.

Once approved, expect a formal communications plan to inform everyone of the 5Ws.

dapaterson said:
Sandbag drag is a set of five sandbags tied together, not just one; other than that, looks consistent with what has previously been briefed.

The test is  one 20 kg bag carried tethered to 4 20 kg bags dragged (100 kg total) while walking backwards over a 20 metre distance without stopping - no time limit.

So here's a question:  If one is already "exempt" until some date in 2014, will they be made to do another PT test when the change takes effect on 1 Apr 2013 (very apt date, might I add......  ;) )?

PMedMoe said:
So here's a question:  If one is already "exempt" until some date in 2014, will they be made to do another PT test when the change takes effect on 1 Apr 2013 (very apt date, might I add......  ;) )?

No.  Your exemptrion will remain valid until it expires at "some date in 2014".  Your next test will be the FORCE test, which must be completed before the expiry of your current result.

Along with it's inferred meaning, above, 01 Apr is also the beginning of the PER reporting period and the fiscal year.  Coincidence?  I think not.

We should insist everyone do the new test in its first year.  Wouldn't be fair to let some hold onto the old age & gender biased exempt results.

Besides, if pers really deserve the exempt status they will earn it again.

Back