• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

First teenaged sea cadet engineers ORCA endorsed

gwp

Reaction score
http://www.regions.cadets.forces.gc.ca/pac/quadra/2008/NewsEngTickets_e.asp

Sea Cadets qualified to work in machine space in PCT Orca Tenders.

I didn't know there was a regular force Chief Engineer onboard the ORCA's.

Stoker said:
I didn't know there was a regular force Chief Engineer onboard the ORCA's.

The ORCA's are manned by the users. There is no perm crew for the craft. And CFFSE trains the hands, Venture trains the officers.

Right, I was going by what was said in the article. They said they acheived their "Regular Force" 2nd engineer ticket. Is that a cadet thing?

Stoker said:
Right, I was going by what was said in the article. They said they acheived their "Regular Force" 2nd engineer ticket. Is that a cadet thing?

Marine Engineering  8 weeks duration

This specialized course is designed to teach the cadets the basic knowledge of machinery systems used on Canadian Forces Auxiliary Vessels and to enable the cadet to serve as a watch-keeper in the engine-room and to run these spaces in an orderly and efficient manner.

Thanks for the info. Wow eight weeks to get their ticket, they must be working their tails off to get all those drawings done and stand a board.

Perhaps they should spend some time with cathodic protection systems too...

Or wooden plugs...

>:D

Cronicbny said:
Perhaps they should spend some time with cathodic protection systems too...

Or wooden plugs...

>:D

very cheeky >:D

Wow. 8 weeks to qualify a Cadet for engine room duty. I've been trying to get my guys qualified DDC, so they can drive a truck, for two years, and they're Reservists ::) Maybe the Army is missing something...............or has too many empires ;)

Empires indeed.

I was at a meeting about 18 months ago wherein I was advised by CFFS(E) that a Naval Reserve MESO C ticket fresh off a 3 year posting as a CERA on a MCDV would require 18 months classroom instruction before being allowed to sail as the engineer on an ORCA.

Fortunately this piece of outright lunacy wasn't allowed to persist but one gets the idea that some people would rather feed their respective empires (and their careers) rather than see these things go to sea.

Makes you wonder how many reserves (permashads or part-timers) have achieved this qualification. If I know NAVRES I suspect they have probably been dragging their feet on the whole thing.

recceguy said:
Wow. 8 weeks to qualify a Cadet for engine room duty. I've been trying to get my guys qualified DDC, so they can drive a truck, for two years, and they're Reservists ::) Maybe the Army is missing something...............or has too many empires ;)

the Duty Driver Course  ;D

Just did the course this summer.  We were basically created to be "educated roundsmen" we qualify to fill the roundsmen position required when ORCA are taken into foreign port.

Back