• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

First Aid / CPR training and certification

I did my FA and CPR as part of civilian employment. That record was accepted by the military for qualification.

There is a military specific component to the DND course that obviously will not be taught on the civilian course. So your certificate might be accepted but it won't be exactly equivalent to the rest of your platoon.

I am a First Aid Instructor and I have not seen anything official saying that a civilian certificate can or can not be accepted. I know that my unit has accepted them in the past. The certificates themselves are identical, the only difference between the course given in the civilian world and the military one is the four extra lessons COSR, self aid, etc. I have taught a joint civilian/military course with two civilian instructors which was a nightmare, one instructor was fine, the other was teaching wrong information (taught CPR wrong for one) and had no respect for timings, they went almost an hour over time for one lesson. At the end of the day the troops got two certificates.

Right from the MPRR, alongside some other civilian certifications:
Code:
LICENCES and CERTIFICATES    ISSUED BY 
First Aid - Standard         St John Ambulance

But yes there is a military component which my be required for your purposes. For example, I had a BMQ candidate who was absent from first aid training, and standards would not allow him to substitute Standard First Aid (even the course delivered on base by CAF instructors).

In 2011, the congenial positive close working relationship with SJA was broken due to a series of things happening in Ottawa.
Prior to the breakdown, there was a free-flow between the two organisations. Instructors easily transferred, volunteers and their quals accepted ect...

With the current contract, there is an obvious chill between DND and SJA. Most of the previous benefits of working so closely together are absent.
Under the current CPM Instructions, Annex A. When an course is completed, a military first aid course report is sent to DND SC and that office produce the required first aid certificates, which have been purchased through the national program directly from SJA.

When a unit accepts an individual's civilian certificate, it breaks down the centralised tracking and control by DND SC on who is current and qualified.
This makes it more difficult and potentially more expensive when contract negotiations begin.

Rheostatic said:
Right from the MPRR, alongside some other civilian certifications:
Code:
LICENCES and CERTIFICATES    ISSUED BY 
First Aid - Standard         St John Ambulance

But yes there is a military component which my be required for your purposes. For example, I had a BMQ candidate who was absent from first aid training, and standards would not allow him to substitute Standard First Aid (even the course delivered on base by CAF instructors).

I just renewed mine in October and I don't recall going over a military specific portion (yes, it is in the book). Our two days were just focused on basic first aid and CPR.

And I still don't have my certificate...

At St. John ambulance you get your certificate the same day. The military process as per is long and drawn out sometimes especially when paperwork sits on people's desks. Last time I took first aid with the military it took a year to get the certificate delivered and that was after I inquired about it.

Misses muffett said:
At St. John ambulance you get your certificate the same day. The military process as per is long and drawn out sometimes especially when paperwork sits on people's desks. Last time I took first aid with the military it took a year to get the certificate delivered and that was after I inquired about it.
Can confirm. Took mine 3 years ago and still no certificate...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you guys need it to hang on your office wall or something? First Aid is just a 3 year annoyance that I have to suffer through so I can DAG Green. They can save the paperwork as long as MonitorMass is updated in a timely fashion.

PuckChaser said:
Do you guys need it to hang on your office wall or something? First Aid is just a 3 year annoyance that I have to suffer through so I can DAG Green. They can save the paperwork as long as MonitorMass is updated in a timely fashion.
In addition, it was never put in MM so had to use my FA cert from my Civi job. Sigh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PuckChaser said:

At one point we were told to keep the card in our wallets in case we ever need it when we our out and about, not in uniform and have to perform first aid. But then, we're also supposed to take the little two-way valve mask and gloves in the fashionable SJA pouch with us as well.

TheSnake said:
Who does First Aid with BMQ again is it St John or Red Cross

reference: CF Mil Pers Instr 03/16 : First Aid, Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation and Automated External Defibrillation Training

The current contract is with SJA.
It is a military FAI who delivers the training, through DND SC to SJA.

Back