• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

First Aid / CPR training and certification

Hatchet Man said:
Everyone go here www.sja.ca now tell me what you see.  What should I see you ask? Well it is St JOHN Amublance.  St. John's is a City in the Maritimes.  Sorry, I volunteer for the St. John Amublance Brigade, and it is a pet peeve of mine.  ;)

Actually, St. John's is a city in the Atlantic Provinces, NOT the Maritimes. Newfoundland is not part of the Maritimes (Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island). It's a pet peeve of mine, being raised a Maritimer myself. :) Don't get me started on the whole SAINT John versus ST. John debate.... ;)

Have a look here: http://atlas.gc.ca/site/english/maps/reference/provincesterritories/maritimes

Getting back on topic, I'm a Canadian Red Cross first aid instructor, and I've taken St. John Ambulance first aid courses in the past. For both organizations, wallet card certificates are generally given out at the end of the course at no extra cost, at least on the civvie side. From the Red Cross perspective, the cost of the wallet cards is included in the course package for each candidate. However, if the candidate wants a large certificate to put up on the wall, that would be an extra cost.

I finished my first aid not too long ago, and upon completion, I was told that my certificate would be sent to my home unit. Check with your home unit and find out if they have one for you.

I am a qualified first aid instructor with St. John Ambulance...IMO...all instructors must complete paperwork to be paid for instruction...part of the paperwork is a list of names of individuals completing courses and their place of work.
So as above contacting St. John Ambulance locally ought to get you the info you are trying to obtain.

HL

Lingling,

The last post is two years old. Probably no longer an issue.

HL,

See RN PRN and Armymedic's last posts above.  The local St. Johns Branch
won't be able to help, as it all goes through the DND office and bypasses
St. John local and provincial offices.

OM

Does anyone have a link or electronic copy of the DOAD for First Aid & CPR?

The DAOD has been superseded. If you want a copy of the new training standards, I can send them to you. PM me with your address.

What specifically are you looking for. As mentioned, the DAOD is gone.

old medic said:
What specifically are you looking for. As mentioned, the DAOD is gone.

Thanks, "Old Medic" . . I'll wait and see what 211RadOp sends me. (basically need anything that is similar to the DOAD)

I got a certificate before I left camp. It's also recored in your file, just go to your OR and ask them.

Hi I got my emergency first aid through cadets. I was wondering if I were to take retrianing like 2 months befors I enlist in the army, would I have to go through first aid training agian? :cdn:

flight-coropral-08 said:
Hi I got my emergency first aid through cadets. I was wondering if I were to take retrianing like 2 months befors I enlist in the army, would I have to go through first aid training agian? :cdn:

Yes

To expand on what CDN Aviator said everything you learned in cadets will have to be retaught to you when you do BMQ because that's the way the Training Plan is written.

And to expand on Sapper, you'll be learning other stuff as well not taught on civvy courses.

MM

Another point:  Your certificate is not good for Life, so you will have to take the course several times in your lifetime to remain qualified.

flight-coropral-08 said:

to add the military teaches Standard first aid, it is to a higher level then the one you have.

flight-corporal-08 said:
Hi I got my emergency first aid through cadets. I was wondering if I were to take retrianing like 2 months befors I enlist in the army, would I have to go through first aid training agian?

Now this brought back an amusing memory of a fellow recruit at Cornwallis asking a similiar question of an instructor.  IIRC, the individual had also received training in cadets, but he didn't learn the important rule that there are indeed stupid questions.  The instructor replied rather benevolently at first, saying that he didn't see a problem as the recruit obviously knew everything that he needed to know.  The instructor continued, saying that his concern was with the recruit's fellow coursemates and perhaps the recruit should remain with the class and ensure that they were properly trained as he would need someone to give him first aid because if he asked any more questions like that, he (the instructor) would rip off his head and shit down his neck.

I am researching first aid training for a group of civilians, and have an honest question; is there a general perception amongst Medical Branch folks as to which 'generally' has the better first aid programs - St John Ambulance or the Canadian Red Cross? 

The intended audience would have to operate in isolated camps, where they may not get very timely response for anything other than air ambulance.  So I have been looking at the "First Responder" courses that both the Red Cross and St. John Ambulance offer.  I'm sure that people have likely had good and bad experiences with both, but I'd be interested in hearing any professional opinions.

Regards.

I would say go with the Red Cross course.  They have a long established 40 hour first responder course and recently a newer 80 hour emergency medical responder course.  I am personally not a fan of the SJA coures.  They are too fragmented and don't at all teach a comprehensive approach to pt management, simply a disconnected list of skills.  The EMR course is a significant investment in time and money but is quite comprehensive.  If you are dealing with very green people you may want to keep it simple and go with the 40 hour first responder course. 

Back