• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Finger or ring

heyjimmy

Inactive
Reaction score
I read on an email newsletter on Friday that one Yankee had his finger severed while fighting in Iraq.  The doctors gave him a choice, either lose your finger or lose your ring.  He chose to lose the finger to show his loyalty to his wife or something.  The doctors had cut his finger and then they lost the ring.  I just found this interesting and wanted to share

There must be more to the story. I doubt in the Canadian Forces you would even have a choice GOODBYE RING. Unless things have changed since I was in, a misssing finger will give you a permenate category restricting your employment options in the forces( unless maybe, if your an officer? ).

They gave him a choice between a finger or a ring?

Actually, missing fingers will not automatically give you a lowered med category. I have known an engineer who lost his index finger while serving, and an infantry soldier (at the time) who lost three fingers on one hand. Each continued to serve after demonstrating that the lost digits did not affect their performance in their trades. In fact, both individuals were commissioned later in their service. It would require a case by case determination to establish if the amputation was serious enough to make them unemployable in their trade.

In the case being described, I'd like to know what his wife said when he arrived home less one finger and saying "But honey, I saved the ring."

In the late 70's early 80's I know of 2 cases.
Infantry Sgt. missing 1 finger = restricted to training postings only
Infantry Lt. below knee amputation = at first nonfield restriction than promoted to Capt. & field position

Double standard?

As I said maybe things have changed.

At least she didn't marry him for his brains.

Regarding serving after amputations, there's a poster here, Art Johnson, who could probably mention more on that.

Ex-Dragoon said:
The navy frowns on the wearing of rings for upper deck work.

Makes a lot of sense to me.   Maybe should be expanded.

Ps: My father also lost a finger in Korea due to an enemy bullet.

clark said:
a finger or the ring i would be telling them to get rid of the ring were r u goin to buy a new finger.hahahahahahahaha

I find joking about a soldier who was wounded in COMBAT (and someone who has lost an a finger) during an IED incident truly disgusting. He had more courage in 10 minutes than you will all your life!

Maybe you would like to say what you said to his face, or to his friends?????

Great post Clark, keep it up, I am sure you'll be the most popular boy in NATO if you keep going the way you are.

Shame on ya!

Wes

EDIT: Glad to see the post has been now been deleted  :)

Back