• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Fighting & Winning The Global War on Terror (WW IV)

Ouch! You folks really reamed her a new one!

Infanteer, your damn arguementative essay type posts are so good you convince people to believe you! Even though we don't see eye to eye on many issues I have high respect for you!  ;D

Anyway, you folks do have a good point, but keep in mind she's still learning... Sure she's in 3rd year University. She didn't ask for your opinions on what her questions were like, just your answer to the questions. If you all wanna pick at things analy, it isn't going to help much. If you wanna help, answer her questions to the best of your ability, simple as that! What's that saying??? "Keep it simple stupid!"... I'm not saying I'm excluded from that, certainly NOT. But, if you folks wanna be nice, help the girl out! Don't rape her!

I know I know you would say if she came here posting that kinda stuff it's a public forum and she gets what she deserves posting that kinda stuff yada yada yada! BUT, mom always said, "if ya don't have anything nice to say don't say it at all"... And there's hardly any juvenille or inexperienced posters who have posted to this thread either. You all know what your opinions are and your way of putting it into words...

All I'm sayin' is play nice, help her out, leave it at that if you wanna be nice fellow Canucks!

Joe
~ All for Peace ~
:cdn:

Well, are we not helping her by holding her opinions up to critical thought?

Yes you are, but Joe wants the answers that she wants, otherwise we are [pick one] racist/redneck/uncaring/sexist/mean/etc.........
Sounds like a typical left wing rebuttal to a well-thought out response.

Ok MissMolsonIndy, I'll tell you exactly what I think.

1) Your thesis is not appropriate for an academic paper. Perhaps for an Ann Coulter book, or a Micheal Moore movie, but not for anything that could be finished in one term. The fact that you made it to 3 years without figuring this out means that I'll never trust a Poli Sci Major or anyone from the province of British Columbia ever again. Considering the number of army officers who were poli sci majors, this scares me.

2) Your question suck. Infanteer has already gone through this in detail. My advice to you would be to drop it now, because if your instructor has any kind of education  he/she would fail you on methodology alone.

3) These are mistakes that high school students make. See point #1.

Oh, BTW, I mostly agree with your opinions on the War on Terror and missile defence.  I wish there were more people like you, keep up the good work!

Once again we'll state her methodology and stance is not the question. If you wish to provide input, stick to answering the actual questions or factually debating the individual rebuttals. Leave the snide comments and chivalristic tones out of it. Do not attack the person, attack the idea(s).

Britney Spears said:
I'll never trust a Poli Sci Major or anyone from the province of British Columbia ever again.

Hey, I'm a Poli Sci Major from British Columbia.... :warstory:

Infanteer said:
As I mentioned before, these questions are loaded with your own bias.   You are trying to find out what your reader's opinions are regarding Canadian and US Foreign Policies, not what your reader's opinions are regarding left-wing interpretations of Canadian and US Foreign Policy.

Infanteer:   Posing questions on this forum in order to determine readers' opinions with regards to â Å“left-wingâ ? interpretations of Canadian and US Foreign Policy, is equivalent to finding a needle in a haystack. This has been addressed several times already; don't argue for the sake of arguing.

Infanteer said:
In an attempt to maintain the notion of objectivity, academic surveys and questionnaires should attempt to be as free as possible from language that includes insinuations and pejorative statements (I can see multiple examples in your questionnaire).   By doing this you may be accused of attempting to lead your subjects to their answer or to present a one-sided argument to get the answer you want to hear.   As well, you choice of tone and language implies that you have an axe to grind - why don't you leave that to the daily rag reporters.

In essence, everyone is aloud to have a bias (hell, all of you can read what mine is) but when collecting data and facts in an academic setting, it is important to gather it in a "neutral" manner, less your own bias be seen to have interfered with the data collection process.

Indeed. These questions are loaded with my own bias, much like any other opinion that I hold. And while I realize, and agree with you, that the majority of these questions should have been re-phrased in a more objective manner, judging by the responses I've received thus far, I have yet to run into an opinion that runs parallel with my own. Which tells me two things: Firstly, the majority of you are very capable of recognizing and pinpointing bias, and secondly, the â Å“insinuationsâ ? and â Å“pejorative statements,â ? ingrained in my questions, have by no means swayed the individuals on this forum, if anything, my ingrained bias has forced them to think more critically about the questions.

I find it hard to accept as true that you believe that you can collect completely â Å“neutralâ ? data, on a subjective issue (not to mention one that the public feels strongly about). The fact of the matter is there's no getting around bias in a situation of the sort. There are certainly measures (some of which I've failed to reproduce) that you can take to help eliminate it, but to completely do away with it is impossible if you are collecting data from human beings, who are cognitive, emotional and who piece together a picture of the world that is comprehensible and workable in their frame of thought from social experience. Even if you have taken all of the necessary measures, what â Å“groupings of society,â ? respond to your questionnaire (with participants chosen at large, and at random) is beyond your control. We see the same patterns in the Canadian Electoral system. If Canada could only achieve a voter-turnout of approximately 60% in the last election, at best, what makes you think that the same doesn't occur in polls and other statistics? Individuals have a predisposition to exclude themselves from issues that tend not to concern them, or similarly issues that they stand â Å“neutralâ ? on.

Infanteer said:
Now for your questions:

How about US Generals that support the development of the system?   What exactly were the generals arguing against - specific system technology or the concept in general?   Do the generals have an axe to grind (for example, their department lost funds to the BMD system)?

You're "headlining" here, just like a newspaper.   Your asking us a question without supplying any qualitative substance for us to base our position on.

I respect and admire your ability to think outside the box. And while I can't answer your questions, it will definitely be a criticism explored within the context of my paper.

I'm unsure of how you have formulated your views on issues in the past, but it is the responsibility of the reader to look for sources and information upon which his/her position will be based; it is not my place to supply you with â Å“qualitative substance.â ?

Infanteer said:
If we want to base the debate on economic issues we can.   Brad Sallows summed up my outlook on the economics of the issue best in another thread:
I estimate that on one city block where I live, there are approximately 25 single detached residences.   In a grid square, I estimate there could be as many as 1800 residences.   Assuming the replacement cost of each to be $100K, including reconstruction, refurnishment, landscaping, replacement of vehicles, refurbishment of utilities, etc, that amounts to about $180M.   Now be conservative and cut the estimate by nearly one-half to a nice, round, $100M to replace one grid square blown away by a nuclear warhead.   A 3km radius of devastation?   Maybe $700M.   5km?   Maybe $2B.   Keep in mind my estimates should be on the low side.   I can't begin to estimate the cost of replacing densely populated high-rise residential or commercial property.   There are also, not incidentally, the lives.

Of course, there are the economic costs: what happens if in the aftermath of a detonation cargo stops moving out of the Port of Vancouver (check out the daily cost of a longshoreman's strike) and most of the surviving population decides to take an extended vacation with relatives east of the Rockies?   That could happen even if a near miss occurs and the worst that happens is that the "Lions" are slightly resculpted.

This is not meant to be taken as a personal attack, Infanteer, but I don't see how this has anything to do with the question. If you don't hold an opinion on a specific matter, then leave it blank.

Infanteer said:
Likelihood of occurrence: very small.   Impact: very large.   Worth at least a little more commitment to research into preventive measures against missiles as well as sea containers?   You decide.
Infanteer said:
If you look at the proposal for the BMD, it is built to deter attacks from "Rogue Nations".   A problem with this is that there is the chance that the outcome can lead to other states in believing that their nuclear deterrence has fallen below acceptable levels, leading to increases their arsenal to offset US invulnerability.   Consider that this argument is geared towards China and Russian, who both already possess a preponderant amount of nuclear warheads from all three points of the triad (SLBM, ICBM, Air-Delivered) I don't see where the increased level of danger is going to come from; the situation already has the potential to be catastrophic.

Indeed. The world is about to witness another arms race. However, I disagree with you that the â Å“increased levels of dangerâ ? have not been given care and consideration: A â Å“Non-Proliferation Treatyâ ? is currently under debate, and is expected to pass through next year some time. The treaty demands the disarmament of nuclear weaponry, and all preventable measures to be taken in order to ensure that the proliferation of nuclear weapons does not spread to rogue states.

Infanteer said:
I am unsure of how this breeds terrorism and conflict though.

Which question are you referring to?

Infanteer said:
70% of Canadians also identified Lester Pearson as Canada's leader in WWII.

While I cannot personally identify with the statement made above, I'm sure it holds its ground. Statistics are shaky, and those statistics only came from a single poll, in reality, the figures could prove to be much different. While I cannot offer you statistics upon which everyone will agree on, I can say that I sense an overwhelming sense of hostility towards US foreign policy in Canada, and many other parts of the globe. When President Bush makes his appearance in Ottawa next week, protestors are expected to explode onto the streets. I suppose we'll have to wait and see.

Infanteer said:
1)   Statistics are shaky, just ask Steven Harper about his job as the Prime Minister.   For every statistic that came out supporting the war in Iraq, there was one that came out opposing it.

I agree.

Infanteer said:
2) You're assuming that the general populace of Canada is familiar with the details of BMD policies and strategies.   Considering more Canadians pay attention to the latest gay couple on "Will and Grace" or who's offering what in the NHL lock-out, I wouldn't be too confident on basing policy decisions on the fickle nature of the mob.

I agree, however, keep in mind that it is the participation of this fickle mob that democracy requires in order to keep it functioning. You've made an excellent point: the public-at-large does not go to great lengths to inform themselves, and if nothing else, I would argue that the public is largely uninformed on a variety of issues. Considering the mass media, and the national newspapers constitute the two major forms in which people acquire information (with a relatively small proportion of the population actually looking to alternative sources), both of which are infinitely concentrated into the hands of few both in Canada and the United States, you have a public informed by components of the mass media, each pushing their own agenda/ â Å“spinâ ? on the issue. That being said, it would not come as a surprise to me to learn that the Canadian populace was being pumped with information with a â Å“spin,â ? or disinformation.

Infanteer said:
I am not sure on what you mean with the US being a permanent member of the United Nations; the US is not bound in any way to remain in the UN in perpetuity - adherence to the UN Charter is the legislation of the individual states that compose it, and that legislation could be reversed as easy as any other law.   Perhaps you meant permanent member of the United Nations Security Council?

If the UN is the legislation of the individual states that compose it, then is it not the case that all members are expected to abide by its legislation?

Infanteer said:
I think that the legitimacy of the UN has been challenged to such an extent that it's legitimacy as the aegis of international law has been sufficiently diminished.   The structure of the UN worked fine during the Cold War (a geopolitical arrangement that it was designed to facilitate) but I think it becomes less and less relevent every year.   Why should the United States hold itself to the proclamations of an organization that puts it on the same level as the Sudan; that puts Iraq (under Saddam) in charge of the council on disarmament and Libya in charge of the council on human rights; or one that gives France a veto is world security issues but discards countries like Germany, Japan, and India.   Quite farcical if you ask me.

Have you considered that perhaps the reason that its legitimacy has been significantly diminished is because the strongest nation in the globe, and the most important player in the UN consistently defy it? I certainly think that if the United States participated in the committee and bound itself thereby, the UN would be more enforceable in the international context.

Infanteer said:
This one stinks so bad I can smell it in the office.   The Vietnam War was started on the "lie" of the Gulf of Tonkin?   Please, the American's were involved (as per the policy of Containment) in Vietnam long before the Gulf of Tonkin incident.   Do you think that the US public supported the Vietnam War based on the pretext of the Gulf of Tonkin?   How many recruiters did you see marching down the street saying "Avenge the Maddox!".   Same with GW1 (Iraqi baby killers) and GW2 (WMD).

You seem to be painting the notion of the casus belli being a monolithic, all-or-nothing issue.   If you bothered to look into the beginning of these conflicts, you would see that their are many more valid issues (as opposed to Chomsky-esque "government lies and deception") that different segments of society accept as valid reasons for war.   Anyone who takes press sensationalism as the justification for war is stupid (which, unfortunately, is more then we'd like to admit) and anyone who feels that the the government (and the society it represents) finds its sole casus belli in inflated, but relatively insignificant, news-clippings needs to up the Ritalin dosage and take a second look at the big picture.

While my information with regards to the â Å“Gulf of Tonkinâ ? incident starting the â Å“Gulf War,â ? is debatable, the American government sold further justification of the war to the American public. Had the Americans fully supported the war in the first place, the American government wouldn't have found itself in a place where it needed to spread lies and deception in return for public support: â Å“If it bleeds, it leads.â ?

MissMolsonIndy said:
Have you considered that perhaps the reason that its legitimacy has been significantly diminished is because the strongest nation in the globe, and the most important player in the UN consistently defy it? I certainly think that if the United States participated in the committee and bound itself thereby, the UN would be more enforceable in the international context.

And thank god they do.  Can you imagine the sort of disasters that would occur if "the strongest nation in the globe" allowed itself to be lead  around by a bunch of third world nations and tin-pot dictators?  If it were up to the UN, the US would have been invading Israel instead of Iraq.

Yes you are, but Joe wants the answers that she wants, otherwise we are [pick one] racist/redneck/uncaring/sexist/mean/etc.........
Sounds like a typical left wing rebuttal to a well-thought out response.

Well EXCUSE me! Do not put words in my mouth! If I was intending to "brand" someone as you might as well have done to me I'd simply say what I meant! My post didn't have any "left wing" in it, I didn't say Infanteers' post was bad at all, in fact I commended him on his posts and this isn't the first time thank you very much! I am a person who posts exactly what I think so if your some kinda expert on me then you should already know I do such and have been called out for it before.

I find it offensive that you would put words in my mouth like that, I honestly do. It was uncalled for and insulting. If you expect to hold others to a higher standard as a leader on this site then at least treat people with respect! Lead by example as they say. I suppose I'm allowed to start putting words in others mouths' then also right???

:rage:

Certainly not impressive from someone as experienced as you, you could have done much better.
:threat:

Get off the air. If you want to argue, do it with PM's. This is not part of the discussion.

First let me establish my bonafides, then I'll make two observations -- one general and one specific.

I am a Vietnam veteran who was not a combat soldier (REMF, for those who know the term).  At age 43 I completed a BS in Business and at 52 an MS in Finance.  Both degrees required a fair grounding in practical statistics.

General observation:  MMI's contention that using loaded questions full of her own bias is a legitimate way to conduct a study is so much horse manure.  All one gets in that event is agreement from some and violent disagreement from people who don't agree.  There is no opportunity to find out what people really think on a topic because the parameters of the discussion preclude that.

Some people will attempt to 'educate' the questioner, but such attempts are almost always doomed to failure, because the questioner's mind is not open to change.

A researcher should start with neutral questions when asking for freeform answers and then evaluate the responses in an attempt to discover what the respondents think, then write a paper reflecting the results of the research.

Market researchers are the best at conducting true opinion research.  Why?  Because their companies are going to spend a good deal of money implementing their findings in the form of new products or services.  Soft science academics are the worst sort of researchers because they tend to try and validate their own opinions by using questions difficult to answer or refute in a few paragraphs.  They write papers for professors who share their bias, get a passing grade and go merrily on their way.  And who's to stop them?  No one.  Their work never has to run the gauntlet of a marketplace and the people who get smeared usually never know about it, nor could they have any effect on the results even if they did. 

MMI is looking either to parse the responses for agreement or to produce a paper disparging the opinions of this group.  Mark my word -- most of you will not be happy with what she produces.

Specific observation:  Legitimate historians have concluded the the attack on the destroyer in the Tonkin Gulf actually occured.  Personal note -- I attended college with a retired Navy veteran who watched the attack on radar.  It happened.  The attack on the second night probably did not occur.  Whether the Administration knew within a few day, or ever, that the second attack was likely a false alarm, I don't know.  To my knowledge, opinions on the subject are divided and represent nothing more than various people's opinions. 

The Gulf of Tonkin Resolution afforded a pretext for further US involvement in Vietnam, for good or ill.  Congress may have failed in its responsibility to fully investigate the events leading up to it, but that does not mean anyone 'lied' to anyone else.  My own opinion -- worth no more than any opinion ever can be -- is that Johnson used the attacks, real and purported as a reason for escalating the war against the North Vietnamese.  But the war was already in progress and had been for years prior.  Mistakes happen, even at the highest levels.  The political situation in South Vietnam and Johnson's own frustrations about the whole situation played a part. 

Two years later I found myself in Vietnam.  I'm proud of that service and ashamed that we spent so much blood and treasure only to leave the people of SE Asia to the murderous hands of the North Vietnamese and the Kymer Rouge.

Nuff said.  I'm outta here.

Jim

That's probably as close to "the horses mouth" as you're going to get, MissMolsonIndy.

Old Guy,  :salute:.

MissMolsonIndy said:
8. With the expected launch of Missile Defense towards the end of 2004, the United States is looking to spend approximately one trillion US dollars (for the entire campaign) to build this system. Critics argue that the money should be spent on diminshing the roots of conflict and terrorism (inequality, poverty, underdevelopment...) instead. Do you agree or disagree? And what are the reasons to support your claim?
Ballistic Missile Defence and the War on Terror are not linked beyond the fact that they are both issues of national security.  However, they have as their objectives different threats to defeat.  You may as well have asked if money spend on sewer improvements would be better spent on BMD.

You have raised the issue of human security (poverty, exploitation, denial of rights, etc) which is closely related to the issue of â Å“roots of terrorism.â ?  Without a doubt more emphasis could be put on human security issues.  However, I will not suggest that money be diverted specifically from BMD, sewer projects in major US cities, university funding, or whatever.

First, I admit I'm too lazy to read through the 6 pages of preceding discussion, so I will just make some comments on the questions.

>6. 49 former US Generals told President Bush that missile defense is a waste of funds, and urged Canada not to join. What is your position on this issue?

Which issue: missile defence, Canadian participation in missile defence, or the fact that 49 retired general officers have announced a position?  If the issue for which you wish to solicit an opinion is "missile defence" or "Canadian participation", why is the factoid about the US general officers included?  Is it more important than all the other points of the debate?  If you want to present facts as part of the question and/or resolution, you should include all of them (whereas, whereas, whereas...), or none.  My position: no-one will know whether BMD is a waste of funds until after the program is complete, just as we had to wait until well after the Apollo program to know all the side benefits that were reaped; Canada should participate; the general officers have opinions and other attributes.

>7. In your opinion, will democracy have a chance to establish itself (temporarily or permanently) in Iraq?

Yes.  Anything not expressly ruled out may occur.

>8. With the expected launch of Missile Defense towards the end of 2004...Critics argue that the money should be spent on diminshing the roots of conflict and terrorism (inequality, poverty, underdevelopment...) instead. Do you agree or disagree? And what are the reasons to support your claim?

I disagree, because the fertile ground of terrorism is oppressive rule rather than poverty, and to dimish the roots of conflict and terrorism does not necessarily diminish the threat of use of nuclear missiles (which are not commonly held by terrorists in any event) by states.  BMD and countermeasures against non-state terror are two separate issues.

>9. If the proposed Missile Defense passes, with active Canadian participation included, do you agree or disagree with the likelihood of this defense system creating an atmosphere where more conflict and more terrorist activity emerges, due to the fact that states (particularly those who do not participate in the "global defense system") feel more vulnerable?

I disagree states will feel more vulnerable.  Most states can't possibly feel any more vulnerable than they do now: they don't have nuclear weapons and delivery systems, and the US does.  The "vulnerability" excuse is surreal.  The status quo is that the US could launch with impunity against irritating states, but does not, not does it (by any source I have read or heard) threaten to do so.  Neither does any other state currently possessing nuclear weapons.  The acquisition of nuclear missile delivery by oppressive regimes is for entirely bad intentions: to continue to be oppressive, and maybe even a little acquisitive.  Moral question: should states which continue to treat their citizens poorly be permitted to acquire a nuclear shield against international (UN-sponsored or otherwise) intervention?

>10. The United Nations Committee suggests that a mere 8-10% (approximately $80 Billion US dollars) of international military spending pee year will meet the basic needs of every citizen on earth (clothing, food, shelter, water, and education). If these are some of the very problems that contribute to terrorist activity, why have appropriate actions not been taken in the efficiency of the "global war on terrorism"?

First, the question can't be answered because the assumption that material need promotes terrorism is improbable.  Second, the cost of a solution and the delivery of that solution are two separate problems.  If my meaning isn't clear, what do you think of the likelihood of any of the money reaching the intended targets?

>11. With recent statistics showing that 70% of Canadians show no desire to join onto the Missile Defense Program for North America, does Canada's participation in the Missile Defense Program look promising in the future years?

Yes, provided the government can shake off its weathervane instincts.

>12. The United States organized an invasion in Iraq on the basis that the Iraqi government was developing and concealing "weapons of mass destruction"... With the United States harbouring the largest military on the globe, and weapons of mass destruction in greater numberm, strength and capability than any other state, could it be argued on the same line of reasoning that the United States is also a "threat to the peace and security of the world"? (US Department of State) In answering this question, it is necessary to look at it from the point-of-view of the "West", as well as the "Peripheral Countries" (less developed, economically and politcally dependent on the West etc...)

You will find in the President's address to the UNGA (Sep 2002) that the case for war was founded on: failure to comply with various UN resolutions related to treatment of citizens, repatriation of prisoners from the Kuwait war, and co-operation with terrorists; assassination attempts; failure to completely accede to disarmament inspections; evidence of continued WMD programs through the 1990s; and subversion of UN-imposed sanctions.  I think that's all, or at least most, of it.

Is the US a threat to the world - no.  Is the US a threat to thugs masquerading as legitimate governments - yes.

>13. As a permanent member of the United Nations, do you believe that the United Staes is subject to and moreover bound by the conditions and negotiations of the international governing body? Why, or why not? Has the United States breached international law?

Do you mean "permanent member of the UNSC"?  Regardless, the US is neither more nor less bound than any other nation signatory to the UN Charter which is a Member State.  The US has probably breached international law on several occasions.  Is there a useful conclusion that should follow that assertion, or merely a righteous and sanctimonious one?  I think it difficult to find a saintly nation, or to find a nation which is prepared, to borrow a phrase, to adhere to "international law" to the extent of a suicide pact.  Certainly there appears to be no mandate in its Charter for the UN to interfere in the internal affairs of any state, no matter how evil and depraved.

>14. The Vietnam War was launched...The Gulf War, was sold...and the war was launched on false information/propaganda. The Iraq War was launched by the United States of America on the basis that Iraq was developing and concealing weapons of mass destruction, with no evidence that these weapons of mass destruction even exist, is it viable that government lies and deception have once again "sold a war" to the media and public?

The US has had to "sell" many of its major war entanglements to its citizens.  Sometimes (eg. WWII) it can't even do that.  I hope you recognize that to invalidate propaganda points doesn't invalidate any of the other pretexts for war.  Kuwait really was invaded.  Hussein's Iraq really was in violation of UNSC resolutions, unco-operative with inspectors, and cheating UN sanctions.  All of the speeches of note are on the record, and mostly (all, I guess) available on the WWW.  It's all out there in the open to be examined - how could that be lies and deception?  If there was deceit, it was self-deceit in the minds of those who chose to narrow their focus on selected reasons.  A broad swath of the media and public seized on "WMD", and now they can't seem to remember anything else.  A campaign of lies and deception does indeed exist, but it may not be the one of which you are thinking.

MissMolsonIndy,

Since you took the time to respond, I'll offer up my rebuttal.

MissMolsonIndy said:
Posing questions on this forum in order to determine readers' opinions with regards to â Å“left-wingâ ? interpretations of Canadian and US Foreign Policy, is equivalent to finding a needle in a haystack. This has been addressed several times already; don't argue for the sake of arguing.

Indeed. These questions are loaded with my own bias, much like any other opinion that I hold. And while I realize, and agree with you, that the majority of these questions should have been re-phrased in a more objective manner, judging by the responses I've received thus far, I have yet to run into an opinion that runs parallel with my own. Which tells me two things: Firstly, the majority of you are very capable of recognizing and pinpointing bias, and secondly, the â Å“insinuationsâ ? and â Å“pejorative statements,â ? ingrained in my questions, have by no means swayed the individuals on this forum, if anything, my ingrained bias has forced them to think more critically about the questions.

I find it hard to accept as true that you believe that you can collect completely â Å“neutralâ ? data, on a subjective issue (not to mention one that the public feels strongly about). The fact of the matter is there's no getting around bias in a situation of the sort. There are certainly measures (some of which I've failed to reproduce) that you can take to help eliminate it, but to completely do away with it is impossible if you are collecting data from human beings, who are cognitive, emotional and who piece together a picture of the world that is comprehensible and workable in their frame of thought from social experience. Even if you have taken all of the necessary measures, what â Å“groupings of society,â ? respond to your questionnaire (with participants chosen at large, and at random) is beyond your control. We see the same patterns in the Canadian Electoral system. If Canada could only achieve a voter-turnout of approximately 60% in the last election, at best, what makes you think that the same doesn't occur in polls and other statistics? Individuals have a predisposition to exclude themselves from issues that tend not to concern them, or similarly issues that they stand â Å“neutralâ ? on.

Old Guy really said it best.  Instead of asking a question that begins with a negative opinion on Missile Defence/Iraq/George W Bush/whatever and then asking the question, why don't you simply ask the question?

eg:

instead of:

14. The Vietnam War was launched on "government lies passed on by pliant mass media," where "North Vietnamese torpedo boats launched an "unprovoked attack" against a U.S. destroyer on "routine patrol" in the Tonkin Gulf on Aug. 2 -- and that North Vietnamese PT boats followed up with a "deliberate attack" on a pair of U.S. ships two days later." The Gulf War, was sold to the United States, "the mother of all clients," by a "it bleeds, it leads" story about babies being tossed out of incubators by Iraqi soldiers. As officials and the mass media learned of the witness's blood ties with the Kuwaiti government, the story began to fall apart, and the war was launched on false information/propaganda. The Iraq War was launched by the United States of America on the basis that Iraq was developing and concealing weapons of mass destruction, with no evidence that these weapons of mass destruction even exist, is it viable that government lies and deception have once again "sold a war" to the media and public?

couldn't you just ask:

Do you feel that the media plays a role in legitimizing or presenting a state's justification for war?  If so, what do you think is the nature of this relationship?

I respect and admire your ability to think outside the box. And while I can't answer your questions, it will definitely be a criticism explored within the context of my paper.

I'm unsure of how you have formulated your views on issues in the past, but it is the responsibility of the reader to look for sources and information upon which his/her position will be based; it is not my place to supply you with â Å“qualitative substance.â ?

No.  You're offering of the "bone" of 49 Generals is presented in a way which attempts to lead a person to the answer you want to hear.   When asking someone about what their stance (and hence their own supply of qualitative substance) is on Canadian participation in BMD, the point of 49 Generals is irrelevent.

I could rephrase the question in many ways and the notion of the "expert" would be equally superfluous.   The question is wrong because it injects a notion of someone's opinion into the intended answer and doesn't give the person "all the facts":

Parliament told President Bush that missile defense is a waste of funds, and urged Canada not to join. What is your position on this issue?

or

Wayne Gretzky told President Bush that missile defense is a waste of funds, and urged Canada not to join. What is your position on this issue?

or

Spongebob Squarepants told President Bush that missile defense is a waste of funds, and urged Canada not to join. What is your position on this issue?

Do you see what I'm getting at?

This is not meant to be taken as a personal attack, Infanteer, but I don't see how this has anything to do with the question. If you don't hold an opinion on a specific latter, then leave it blank.

It has everything to do with the question.  You've attempted to justify the utility of the BMD program based on costs.  A cost/benefit analysis is one good way to approach the issue.  I countered with my own thoughts on a cost/benefit analysis.  Is the cost of the BMD so large that it justifies ignoring ways to prevent the cost of a major metropolitan center being immolated because someone like Kim Jong Il had a bad hair day?

Indeed. The world is about to witness another arms race. However, I disagree with you that the â Å“increased levels of dangerâ ? have not been given care and consideration: A â Å“Non-Proliferation Treatyâ ? is currently under debate, and is expected to pass through next year some time. The treaty demands the disarmament of nuclear weaponry, and all preventable measures to be taken in order to ensure that the proliferation of nuclear weapons does not spread to rogue states.

Nuclear weapons are the latest incarnation of man's desire to have the "nicest car on the block" - whether that "car" happens to be the largest and strongest warhorses, the Arsenal of Venice, the largest cannon, the HMS Dreadnought, or the latest MIRV, it's part and parcel of civilization.  I don't see how a "Non-Proliferation Treaty" (There has been many treaties on Nuclear Disarmament - check them out) is going to suddenly lead us to a utopia.  It would similar to the land-mine treaty; everyone says it's a great thing, but in reality it doesn't solve much (and it just sets people who actually believe it, like us, back one step in the big rat race).

Being that there are literally thousands of nuclear weapons in the arsenals of China and Russia, the notion that the BMD, which is designed to shoot down a few loose missiles, suddenly leading these two states to get paranoid and build thousands more seems to be a little far-fetched.

Besides, I don't see what the notion of BMD (counter-missile technology) has to do with Non-Proliferation (the metastasizing of nuclear technology).

Which question are you referring to?

The notion that the US Ballistic Missile Defence will breed "an atmosphere where more conflict and more terrorist activity emerges, due to the fact that states (particularly those who do not participate in the "global defense system") feel more vulnerable?" (Your words).  The BMD isn't designed to stop a bomb in a container ship, it is aimed at states that possess limited nuclear arsenals and may be inclined to use them.

While I cannot personally identify with the statement made above, I'm sure it holds its ground. Statistics are shaky, and those statistics only came from a single poll, in reality, the figures could prove to be much different. While I cannot offer you statistics upon which everyone will agree on, I can say that I sense an overwhelming sense of hostility towards US foreign policy in Canada, and many other parts of the globe. When President Bush makes his appearance in Ottawa next week, protestors are expected to explode onto the streets. I suppose we'll have to wait and see.

Is this "overwhelming sense of hostility toward US foreign policy" genuine though?  Just because a few hundred idiots decide to march down the street opposing "US occupation of Afghanistan" and "Dictator Bush and his Fascist Lies" doesn't mean that the entire population is up in arms.  I believe that tacit approval for the US comes from the "silent majority" - why is it that most of the animosity towards the US seems to only pop up when cameras are around and seems to be propagated by the same people who march against Globalization, The depletion of the ozone layer, and human rights abuses in Tibet.

Try not to confuse a few noisy peons with a general consensus.

That being said, I won't deny that there is genuine opposition to the US policies, but I'd say that this is attributed to a few reasons (among others):

1) Other interests:  Was France really concerned about unilateralist or the Iraqi people - or were they more interested in opposing a war which would put the US in the forefront of the world's foreign polices.  It seems to me that the French were real eager to try and set the EU up as a legitimate counter-balance to US hegemony following the end of the Soviet Union - a plan which fell flat on its face.

2) Penis Envy:  Many people just "hate" the US as a knee-jerk reaction because of the fact that the US is the Hegemonic power on the globe today.  Nobody seems to be protesting the multitude of unilateralist invasions France has launched throughout Africa in the last few decades to secure it's own interests.  Ending up on the top of the pile will naturally garner the United States loads or angst and ire - and envy - by default; it was the same for Rome, Venice, Spain, and Britain.  However, if you sit a normal citizen down and actually set the issues out, I have a feeling they'll take the SUV driving American over the guy in a cave that wants to murder their family.

I agree, however, keep in mind that it is the participation of this fickle mob that democracy requires in order to keep it functioning.

Yes, put the job of the citizenry is to send representatives to focus on and deliberate the issues for us and to hold them accountable to the duties of their Office, not to decide policy on a whim.

Read Edmund Burke.

You've made an excellent point: the public-at-large does not go to great lengths to inform themselves, and if nothing else, I would argue that the public is largely uninformed on a variety of issues. Considering the mass media, and the national newspapers constitute the two major forms in which people acquire information (with a relatively small proportion of the population actually looking to alternative sources), both of which are infinitely concentrated into the hands of few both in Canada and the United States, you have a public informed by components of the mass media, each pushing their own agenda/ â Å“spinâ ? on the issue. That being said, it would not come as a surprise to me to learn that the Canadian populace was being pumped with information with a â Å“spin,â ? or disinformation.

I wouldn't say that we're "pumped full of spin"; the average Canadian citizen is at least smart enough to form their own opinions.  The problem is "cognitive dissonance"; when someone latches onto a particular idea that appeals to their world view, they are apt to only really consider evidence that supports their thinking.  Thus, cognitive dissonance leads them to take a position without thoroughly examining the issue.  We're all guilty (as fallible human beings) of cognitive dissonance at times, but I think that the relatively spoiled lifestyle that most Canadians have been lucky enough to inherit leads society to become a little too dissonant a little too fast.  It's hard to sell pragmaticism to someone through the comfort of their own home.

If the UN is the legislation of the individual states that compose it, then is it not the case that all members are expected to abide by its legislation?

The UN has no sovereignty over the acts of independent states.  Yes, it is the duty of signatories to uphold the Charter, but considering that the UN has been a political pawn-game since day 1, do you really expect any state to adopt such an altruistic view to the detriment of their own interests?

So it is okay for the US to enforce its decisions on others through bullying in the UN, but it is completely unacceptable and bordering on fascism for the US to enforce its decisions and bully others outside of the UN?  The UN will not make politics "clean".  Go back to you Poli Sci 100 class, what is politics all about?  Power.  Whether its exercised in the UN or out of the UN, there is always going to be winners and losers.  You seem to be piling the failure of the UN on the US, but did it ever occur to you that the UN might be failing for more structural reasons - ie: the fact that the United States and the Sudan are viewed as equals?

While my information with regards to the â Å“Gulf of Tonkinâ ? incident starting the â Å“Gulf War,â ? is debatable, the American government sold further justification of the war to the American public. Had the Americans fully supported the war in the first place, the American government wouldn't have found itself in a place where it needed to spread lies and deception in return for public support: â Å“If it bleeds, it leads.â ?

See Old Guy's interpretation of the event.   I think it firmly points out the old adage that "The First Casulty in War is the Truth" - but I'd be wary of saying that the abuse of truth is a systematic and continous ploy by spooky government guys.

[Edited for spelling mistakes and grammatical errors]

I see that while I was writing my essay Brad Sallows managed to deliver another good post that is along the basic thrust of my points.

You see, this isn't just me trying to tell you things here....

I'm going to wade in here....
My opinions on these matters have already been well articulated by others.

However, I must commend MMI on her attempt to take into account other points of view, and her initiative to find military personnel to give these views. We disagree on a lot, but face it troops, the bias we see in MMI's questions is common to many people, university students, and a fair chunk of society in general. MMI has had the guts to come here, ask her questions, take our rebuttals (a few of which have been rather rude), and carry on. How many other students have done something like that?
I think a lot of the discussions here have their own bias, so be careful about throwing stones. (for an example of true right wing bias, see SOCNET)

PS I am also a BC Poli Sci student....

Lots of stuff to absorb here. I think I'll have to address the issues in bite-sized chunks.

First will be BMD, as that issue seems to have drawn most of MMI's Question Period-style queries.

As Infanteer alluded to, a good place to start is risk analysis. I'll briefly explain the process (apologies to those who understand it, and for my relatively simplistic explanation.)

In analyzing risk one takes into account two factors: consequences and probability. An example of a scale of consequences: Trivial, Minor, Major, Catastrophic. A scale of probability may look like: Negligible, Low, Medium, High (one doesn't have to match four and four, but I like symmetry).

So, BMD, in my opinion, is a risk of catastrophic consequences, and negligible probability. Infanteer's quote of Brad outlined the logic behind the consequences. I guess I'll have to explain why I believe the probability to be negligible.

The concept is predicated on a State Actor having both means and intent to fire a missile at North America (most likely the US). I say State actor because the means of launching a missile rests now, and for the forseeable future, with states capable of both constructing the warhead and the missile technology capable of delivering it to the North American continent. States with that capability (or with a high probability of possessing that capability now, or in the near future) include the following publically known actors (in no particular order): Britain, France, Russia, China, Israel, India, Pakistan, Iran, North Korea and Japan.

So, we know those with the capability. What about intent? Britain and France can be eliminated as Allies of the US (despite French differences with the current US administration). Russia is also tending towards being a US Ally of sorts, but is also restrained by the doctrine of Mutually Assured Destruction (MAD).

Sidebar: BMD does not profess to provide comprehensive protection from massive missile attack, as SDI did under Regan. Therefore any claims of it sparking an arms race are spurious. Existing Russian and Chinese arsenals would still be capable of inflicting major damage to the US.

China is also constrained by MAD, even more so, as they do not likely possess an arsenal sufficient to ensure anything remotely like a first strike KO.

Israel's arsenal is small, and not likely targeted at any target outside the Middle East and North Africa - the direct threats the the existence of the Jewish State.

India and Pakistan are aiming at each other, with arsenals still small in size. Neither would be likely to shoot at the US - a country both are trying to cultivate. However, more on Pakistan anon.

Japan relies on the US, and is more likely to develop a nuclear deterrent against other regional threats (if they haven't already).

Iran and North Korea. First, I may have been optimistic regarding capability. At the moment they are only able to target regionally, not inter-continentally. I would assess that they are developing nuclear weapons for two principal reasons:
1. Prestige - the idea that nukes, and their means of delivery, are the height of technological advancement. In the case of Iran and Pakistan this is also related to reinforcing to the world the the idea that Islam is not backward.
2. Local deterrence - the US would be unlikely to use their overwhelming conventional superiority against these countries if there as the risk of massive US casualties from a nuclear strike.

In terms of intent the above observations indicate that intent to attack North America directly by missile is minimal.

Now, the final point: should Canada be involved: I say most emphatically YES. We can offer many dual-use technologies to the programme, such as surveillance and communications satellite capabilities. Such capabilities can be used for both military and civilian purposes beyond the support of BMD. We can also, if necessary, permit US weapon systems on our soil. There is precedent for that, and many other countries permit it to this day. This will allow us to retain a voice in continental defence, a voice established in 1940.

Make no mistake, the US will do this without us if they wish. The trick is to turn it to our advantage, and certainly don't use this issue to poke our greatest ally in the eye with a sharp stick.

Acorn

Good post Acorn, I find myself liking the risk analysis point of looking at it.

The main point of my earlier yakking was to support this statement:

Sidebar: BMD does not profess to provide comprehensive protection from massive missile attack, as SDI did under Regan. Therefore any claims of it sparking an arms race are spurious. Existing Russian and Chinese arsenals would still be capable of inflicting major damage to the US.

So many of the anti-BMD types use the notion of an "arms race" as the reason against the plan (A goof-ball professor, whom Enfield is now currently enjoying the prostrations of, comes to mind) when it is a far-fetched notion - in your words: probability is negligible.

Back