• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Fifteen Days

GAP

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Donor
Mentor
Reaction score
Fifteen Days
CHRISTIE BLATCHFORD Globe and Mail Update October 26, 2007 at 12:32 PM EDT
Article Link

On July 22, 2006, Task Force Orion, the Canadian battle group that served in southern Afghanistan from February to August that year, was returning from almost a month in the field, far beyond the safety of the large coalition base at Kandahar Air Field.

After weeks of hard fighting in remote parts of the south, the exhausted troops met in a “leaguer,” a traditional circle-the-wagons defensive position, for a pep talk from their commanding officer, Lieutenant-Colonel Ian Hope, before heading back to KAF.

Lt.-Col. John Conrad, who was in charge of the National Support Element, the unit responsible for keeping the fighting troops supplied with everything from bullets to fuel, drove out that day with a resupply convoy going to meet the soldiers.

As the NSE commanding officer, there was absolutely no need for Lieutenant-Colonel John Conrad to go out on convoys, but he made a point of doing so at least once a week. “It wasn't about the technical things that I brought to it,” he says. “To me it was about the moral plane: These guys need to see that I am here with them, I trust them, and that my life [has] exactly the same value as yours, we're in this together.”

Like his friend Ian Hope, Conrad knows that, as the boss, “you can't show you're afraid – and I was, every time I went out on a convoy, I was damned afraid.”

The resupply convoy, Conrad aboard, left KAF [Kandahar Air Field] at about 3 a.m. on July 22. They were bringing diesel, rations, water, a low-bed truck for vehicle recovery (it was already full by the time they got to the leaguer; an armoured vehicle called a Coyote had broken down) and a wrecker for towing. “It's just a package of capability,” Conrad says, “like dragging a Canadian Tire store somewhere to where you're working.”

He and Hope had a cigar together. “It was a very long day,” Conrad says. “It's a helluva long drive from KAF to where we needed to be in Helmand, but a great day. Ian's guys were coming back, they'd done battle, everyone was triumphant.”

As the troops were running, buoyant, to get into their trucks, Conrad pulled Hope aside, told him he had a Coyote down, and asked for a light armoured vehicle (LAV), “just so I could have two big cannons. And he said, ‘Yep, no problem. Just stay with us. Just stay with us at the back of the convoy.' ” But it didn't work out as they planned, because one of Conrad's cargo trucks broke down. They had to stop and put it on the wrecker, and suddenly, they were behind the tail end of Hope's convoy.

“Then we cross the Arghendab River,” Conrad says, “and generally when we crossed that river, I usually think, ‘Okay, I'm out of the bad place.' ” But they had to stop again: The brakes on the broken-down truck were grabbing, and the mechanics needed another 10 minutes to back them off. “And that just widened the gap between Ian and me.”

Conrad had gone out in a G-Wagon utility vehicle, but for the trip back had switched places with the crew of a 10-tonne diesel truck because its air conditioner was on the fritz and he wanted to give the poor guys a break. Directly in front of him was a Bison armoured vehicle.

“So we're coming into that urban sprawl that kind of gives way to Kandahar,” Conrad says, “and there's a terraced village over there, like high ground, and on this side there's off in the distance three mountains, but it's kind of like an open field. And we're just moving along, a little bit slower because we've got a couple of vehicle casualties,” he says, when he noticed a small cab-over truck. A Toyota Hiace, he thinks, approaching.
More on link

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20071103.BKBLAT03/TPStory/National

WAR

With the boys in Afghanistan
LEWIS MACKENZIE

November 3, 2007

FIFTEEN DAYS

Stories of Bravery, Friendship

By Christie Blatchford

Doubleday Canada,

358 pages, $34.95

In the interests of full disclosure, let me declare that I'm a past commanding officer of Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry (1PPCLI), a unit frequently mentioned in Christie Blatchford's Fifteen Days, that I like and admire the author, and that in 1993, when she worked for the Toronto Sun, I was pleased to be selected as her number-one Valentine.

From April to June, 1992, the violent civil war in Bosnia centred on Sarajevo and was the lead story on virtually every international newscast. Living with those of us serving with the United Nations Protection Force (UNPROFOR) headquarters in the city were representatives from every major media outlet in the world - except Canada.

When the Canadian Vandoo Battle Group arrived from Croatia on July 2, to start a 30-day task defending the Sarajevo airport, that glaring oversight was well and truly rectified by the appearance of one Christie Blatchford. Wearing the de rigueur split-knee jeans and T-shirt of the period, Blatchford was easy to spot - particularly by a few bored Bosnian Serb soldiers at her first checkpoint; they decided to detain her for an extended period during her first day in the city. Going where many others feared to tread was to become her passion.

Fifteen Days is the culmination to date of a career that has seen Blatchford infiltrate a number of professions in a successful search that reveals to the public what makes them tick, warts and all. The police and the courts have benefited from her analysis and her uncanny ability to put a human face on the stereotypes, destroying gross misconceptions along the way. More recently, she has focused on Canadian soldiers, and the result is this compelling and emotional tribute to their current achievements in the heat and dust of Afghanistan.

A few prerelease reviews of the book complimented Blatchford's descriptions of individual soldier's stories, but lamented the lack of context and analysis of a complicated and controversial mission. Thank goodness for that "omission"! There has been and continues to be too much commentary, much of it partisan, ill-informed and downright misleading, regarding the mission. This is not a book about geopolitics, it's about soldiers and soldiering in the cauldron of combat, and equally, if not more, about the impact of those experiences on the families and friends left behind.

U.S. Army Lieutenant-Colonel Dave Grossman, author of On Combat, is quoted a number of times, including a chapter that opens: "We will never know those countless young men and women who went willingly into the heart of darkness, into the toxic, corrosive, destructive realm of combat ... the least we owe them is to understand the nature of combat and to truly understand what we are asking them to do."

If one wishes to follow the advice of Col. Grossman, and "truly understand what we are asking them to do," reading Fifteen Days would be an excellent start. In fact, it would probably be enough in and of itself. Blatchford has the rare ability to make her descriptions of combat, particularly those involving loss of life or serious injury, almost embarrassing to the reader. You feel that you are eavesdropping on very private matters. Her extensive research and her own recollections as she was caught up in the thick of some of the heaviest fighting are compelling, gut-wrenching and, unfortunately, real. Her admission that on one occasion during a firefight her bowels turned to water and got the best of her is ample proof that that she walked the walk. Her description, witnessed up close and under fire, of the evacuation of fatally wounded Corporal Anthony Joseph Boneca, shot in the throat and bleeding on the dirt under her feet, exposes the reader to the gut-wrenching reality of close combat.

During three extensive stays with the Canadians in Afghanistan, Blatchford was able to penetrate the macho façade presented by soldiers in combat, and to see the cohesion and affection born of an obligation to those vets who have gone before them, and of an intense dedication to their fellow soldiers. Contrary to popular myth, soldiers don't risk their lives - and in some cases die - for God, Queen, country or even the regiment. They do so for their fellow soldiers, their buddies, frequently only a few meters away due to the tunnel vision generated by the rush of adrenalin when someone is trying to kill you.

Setting Fifteen Days apart from many books on soldiers in combat over the ages is the linkage between encounters with the enemy in southern Afghanistan and the soldier's families, spread across the second-largest country in the world. Blatchford's hundreds of hours of interviews in Canada have produced a rare, intimate look at how individual families coped with an early-morning knock on the door, and the presence of a unit officer and a padre with devastating news, or having a vehicle chase down a father out for a jog with a request that he get in and return home because "the Army is at your house."

As someone who has been to Afghanistan visiting our troops a couple of times, I learned more about the performance of our soldiers from reading Blatchford's book then I did from being on the ground for short stays. After devouring the first few chapters, I was a bit irritated, because the descriptions of events was not in sequence. Once the penny dropped, I realized that each chapter stood on its own as a self-contained tribute to a particular group of soldiers and their families. I've never felt prouder of being Canadian than when I've had the pleasure of commanding, or, in the case of Afghanistan, observing Canadian soldiers performing their duties abroad. Fifteen Days reinforced that pride even more.

Bravo Zulu, Christie Blatchford.

Major-General Lewis MacKenzie (ret'd) was the first commander of UNPROFOR's Sector Sarajevo at the start of the Bosnian civil war.

Oh well.... guess I'll be plunking a bit of change this weekend

Time to break out some Scotch and curl up for a good read... will be back later with my comments - though I have no doubt Christine Blatchford has hit the nail on the head - Again!

I'm about halfway through it and I recommend it to everyone.  You won't gain any coherent idea of how the campaign was conducted or how ROTO's 1 and 2 progressed, as that is not the author's goal and the disjointed way the book is put together makes it impossible.

You will, however, get to look right into the lives of Canada's newest generation of veterans.  As General Lew says, it is a very personal look at the war.  Having heard many of the stories in the book firsthand, I can say that:

1.  She presents the events very truthfully, with warts and blemishes and without bias.

2.  She captures the essence of military life very well - things like our vibrant use of profanity, our unique lingo, and our complicated heirarchical structure of ranks and appointments are all encapsulated and explained well so that the laymen can get a further understanding into the environment the book takes him through.

I just may have to put this book on my Christmas wish list: for my daughter to read.  (Of course, Daddy would borrow it) ;D

I'm going to give it a read and post a review as soon as I can. (I've gotten out of the habit of posting book reviews!) Sounds like it comes highly recommended, I'm looking forward to digging in. In the mean time, if anyone wants to get their copies signed, Ms. Blatchford will be on a bit of a tour:

http://www.randomhouse.ca/author/results.pperl?authorid=42456&view=event

Darn, she isn't coming to Montreal.....
Guess I might as well go out & buy it now...

geo said:
Darn, she isn't coming to Montreal.....
Guess I might as well go out & buy it now...

It is only a short drive to NDHQ for 'business' next week (Tues the 13th) and you can get her book at the Book Fair/Ottawa International Writers Festival across down the street at the Library and Archives Canada, 395 Wellington St.    ;D

There'll probably be a long lineup of pers in CF dress there.

Oh well, have book in hand and will wait & see when she comes to visit.

Just finished the book today.

I will give it 4 out of 5 stars.  4 stars for the reasons I mentioned above; she admirably achieves her goal of telling the story about the soldiers.

I wished, however, that she would have included some more coverage on some of our successes there - more details on guys who stood tall and shined one the two way range, more descriptions of how Canada did right in Afghanistan.  More anecdotes of firefights where Canadian training and guts carried the day.  So much of the coverage focused on the guys we lost there - don't get me wrong; she is right to highlight them and they deserve to be remembered in such a fitting way - but I finished the book feeling that the average Canadian reader would come away with the idea that everytime something happened in Afghanistan in 2006 it ended up in tragedy.  Almost every chapter deals with loss - we had some very good days there and I wished she would have applied her talent to describing some of the successes we saw last year.  Some of the embeds with American units seem to have done a better job in balancing this with their "war journalism" books - Bing West with the Marines in Fallujah comes to mind.

My 2 cents,
Infanteer

I just finished the book 'Fifteen Days', by Christie Blatchford.  Without making it sound like free advertising, I would prompt all to have a read of it.  It covers TF ORION and the Sept 3rd fight at the white school.  Very blunt in its presentation, it offers a good insight for family members of soldiers to see how and what we do.  And she has the enviable position of being a civilian writing, as she can call a spade a spade, and some people of some ranks get hit with that spade pretty damn hard.  Again, check it out, especially pers from 1-06.

Kiwi out!!!

This review by MGen (Ret’d) Lewis MacKenzie, reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions (§29) of the Copyright Act, was published in the weeken “Books” section of the Globe and Mail:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20071103.BKBLAT03/TPStory/?query=lewis+mackenzie+fifteen+days
With the boys in Afghanistan

LEWIS MACKENZIE

November 3, 2007

FIFTEEN DAYS
Stories of Bravery, Friendship, Life and Death from Inside the New Canadian Army

By Christie Blatchford

Doubleday Canada,
358 pages, $34.95

In the interests of full disclosure, let me declare that I'm a past commanding officer of Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry (1PPCLI), a unit frequently mentioned in Christie Blatchford's Fifteen Days, that I like and admire the author, and that in 1993, when she worked for the Toronto Sun, I was pleased to be selected as her number-one Valentine.

From April to June, 1992, the violent civil war in Bosnia centred on Sarajevo and was the lead story on virtually every international newscast. Living with those of us serving with the United Nations Protection Force (UNPROFOR) headquarters in the city were representatives from every major media outlet in the world - except Canada.

When the Canadian Vandoo Battle Group arrived from Croatia on July 2, to start a 30-day task defending the Sarajevo airport, that glaring oversight was well and truly rectified by the appearance of one Christie Blatchford. Wearing the de rigueur split-knee jeans and T-shirt of the period, Blatchford was easy to spot - particularly by a few bored Bosnian Serb soldiers at her first checkpoint; they decided to detain her for an extended period during her first day in the city. Going where many others feared to tread was to become her passion.

Fifteen Days is the culmination to date of a career that has seen Blatchford infiltrate a number of professions in a successful search that reveals to the public what makes them tick, warts and all. The police and the courts have benefited from her analysis and her uncanny ability to put a human face on the stereotypes, destroying gross misconceptions along the way. More recently, she has focused on Canadian soldiers, and the result is this compelling and emotional tribute to their current achievements in the heat and dust of Afghanistan.

A few prerelease reviews of the book complimented Blatchford's descriptions of individual soldier's stories, but lamented the lack of context and analysis of a complicated and controversial mission. Thank goodness for that "omission"! There has been and continues to be too much commentary, much of it partisan, ill-informed and downright misleading, regarding the mission. This is not a book about geopolitics, it's about soldiers and soldiering in the cauldron of combat, and equally, if not more, about the impact of those experiences on the families and friends left behind.

U.S. Army Lieutenant-Colonel Dave Grossman, author of On Combat, is quoted a number of times, including a chapter that opens: "We will never know those countless young men and women who went willingly into the heart of darkness, into the toxic, corrosive, destructive realm of combat ... the least we owe them is to understand the nature of combat and to truly understand what we are asking them to do."

If one wishes to follow the advice of Col. Grossman, and "truly understand what we are asking them to do," reading Fifteen Days would be an excellent start. In fact, it would probably be enough in and of itself. Blatchford has the rare ability to make her descriptions of combat, particularly those involving loss of life or serious injury, almost embarrassing to the reader. You feel that you are eavesdropping on very private matters. Her extensive research and her own recollections as she was caught up in the thick of some of the heaviest fighting are compelling, gut-wrenching and, unfortunately, real. Her admission that on one occasion during a firefight her bowels turned to water and got the best of her is ample proof that that she walked the walk. Her description, witnessed up close and under fire, of the evacuation of fatally wounded Corporal Anthony Joseph Boneca, shot in the throat and bleeding on the dirt under her feet, exposes the reader to the gut-wrenching reality of close combat.

During three extensive stays with the Canadians in Afghanistan, Blatchford was able to penetrate the macho façade presented by soldiers in combat, and to see the cohesion and affection born of an obligation to those vets who have gone before them, and of an intense dedication to their fellow soldiers. Contrary to popular myth, soldiers don't risk their lives - and in some cases die - for God, Queen, country or even the regiment. They do so for their fellow soldiers, their buddies, frequently only a few meters away due to the tunnel vision generated by the rush of adrenalin when someone is trying to kill you.

Setting Fifteen Days apart from many books on soldiers in combat over the ages is the linkage between encounters with the enemy in southern Afghanistan and the soldier's families, spread across the second-largest country in the world. Blatchford's hundreds of hours of interviews in Canada have produced a rare, intimate look at how individual families coped with an early-morning knock on the door, and the presence of a unit officer and a padre with devastating news, or having a vehicle chase down a father out for a jog with a request that he get in and return home because "the Army is at your house."

As someone who has been to Afghanistan visiting our troops a couple of times, I learned more about the performance of our soldiers from reading Blatchford's book then I did from being on the ground for short stays. After devouring the first few chapters, I was a bit irritated, because the descriptions of events was not in sequence. Once the penny dropped, I realized that each chapter stood on its own as a self-contained tribute to a particular group of soldiers and their families. I've never felt prouder of being Canadian than when I've had the pleasure of commanding, or, in the case of Afghanistan, observing Canadian soldiers performing their duties abroad. Fifteen Days reinforced that pride even more.

Bravo Zulu, Christie Blatchford.

Major-General Lewis MacKenzie (ret'd) was the first commander of UNPROFOR's Sector Sarajevo at the start of the Bosnian civil war.

Given the tone of her news reports from Afghanistan I don’t think anyone thought Blatchford would be anything but fond and proud of the soldiers she covered. It appears to be a good Christmas gift choice.

Reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions (§29) of the Copyright Act.

http://www.thestar.com/printArticle/273563

Book delves into heart of mission

TheStar.com

November 05, 2007
Rosie DiManno

In the foreword of her new book, Christie Blatchford admits how hard it was to get started, just bringing the tale of Canadian soldiers in Afghanistan under control and finding a narrative voice.

I know she produced it in a spasm of writing over a period of just eight weeks. But it was a long time gestating in her head.

She didn't want it to be about her; she didn't want to get in the way of the narrative.

Christie's there, though, on every page as reporter and observer and – testament to the immense trust the troops placed in her – as confidante.

Christie is the most honest journalist I know. And Fifteen Days: Stories of Bravery, Friendship, Life and Death From Inside the New Canadian Army resonates with truth.

You have to be there, on the ground, on the missions, under fire, in the claustrophobic Light Armoured Vehicles, to understand, even peripherally, how hard this all is: the thump of warfare, the dread of roadside bombs, the sweet, yet coppery smell of spilled blood, the banging of your own heart in your chest.

Soldiers rarely know from the big picture. That's not their job. Theirs is a keyhole view of combat; battles lost and won, this valley, that hill. They are marvelously apolitical.

I don't think Christie set out to justify Canada's military involvement in Afghanistan. She's not an academic or historian.

But whether inadvertently, or simply because that's where the incremental buildup of knowledge took her – the first-hand chronicling of events, the clear-eyed and unsentimental oral depositions from the troops, in vivid and cussing language – the pro-mission argument can be found here, with far more clarity and persuasion than either the government or the military establishment has managed.

There are some doubts expressed, by soldiers, not in themselves or in the military objective, but in the often dimly seen endgame, which is beyond their perspective.

Several of the men and women readers will meet in these pages I had encountered in Afghanistan, earlier in their rotation. They were greener then, not yet battle-hardened, and probably leery of revealing too much of their private thoughts.

But Christie went back. Not just to Kandahar, where she spent three long tours last year – mostly with the Princess Patricias in Task Force Orion – but also to their bases and regiments and hometowns, met families, buddies, kin of the dead.

The framework of this book might be "Fifteen Days" – focusing on events key and representative – yet the exposition is more sweeping, infused with context, texture and candour.

Christie adores her men in uniform, that's always been apparent. But what's not to love about these guys? Stereotypes are quickly demolished. They're not dumb jarheads, if anybody still thinks that. They're bright and professional. They're thoughtful, kind and funny.

They also cherish one another, in a way likely incomprehensible to civilians.

Intense camaraderie within a platoon – keeping the faith each to each – is what gets them through episodic chaos and fear. How fortunate all of us would be, to have friends like this, and commanders – bosses – as wise, as worthy of respect, as those most extensively depicted in these pages: Lt.-Col. Ian Hope, Major Bill Fletcher, Major Nick Grimshaw, Capt. Nichola Goddard, and others.

Canadians should be proud – I believe they are – of all these fine soldiers, who want to be recognized not for what's been lost in Afghanistan, the fallen, but for what's been disinterred: a fighting army with traditions and values and valour.

Me, I'm proud of Christie, too, my great friend and daughter of the late, former Flight Lieut. Ross Blatchford. Somewhere, his buttons are bursting.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rosie DiManno usually appears Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday.

I've just started reading Fifteen Days. For some reason I out off buying it for a while, but now that I'm into it I'm already thinking about non-military family and acquaintances I could give to with the advice: "Here-read and see what we do."

Christie is one of the journalists (like Rosie DiManno and a few others) who proves that all the apples in the media world are not rotten: she is willing to appreciate us for what and who we are. The pity of it is that some people in her world probably regard her as having "gone native". If she gets our story out to the people of this country, past the barricades of defeatism and negative innuendo erected by some other members of her profession, by opposition politicians and by special interest groups, then IMHO we owe her.

Cheers

I've put my own review up at The Torch:

http://toyoufromfailinghands.blogspot.com/2007/10/fifteen-days.html

I'm a big fan of Blatchford's (grinned for days like a puppy given a pat on the head when she told me she liked my writing), and so I wasn't surprised by how much I enjoyed the book.  It's like fifteen of her articles, only longer and more in-depth.

As others here have said, it's not a campaign history, it's a collection of personal stories.  If you go into it looking for X's and O's, you'll be disappointed.  Open the book looking to get to know some soldiers and their families a bit better, though, and you'll come away happy.

For me, the key element she brings to Canadian military journalism is that she makes ordinary citizens feel like they know the soldiers.  She makes them real to the reader.  That's an invaluable service.

Highly recommended.

Here's audio of Steve Madely's (CFRA, Ottawa) interview with Ms Blatchford about her book on the morning of Nov.13.  About twenty minutes, worth a listen.
http://www.cfra.com/chum_audio/Christie_Blatchford_Nov13.mp3

Mark
Ottawa

This chilling video should not be missed! Christie Blatchford made several trips to Afghanistan as an embedded reporter for The Globe and Mail. Her book, Fifteen Days, is a remarkably respectful and intimate portrait of the men and women of the Canadian Forces serving there.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5ByCpw8hcQ

Video here of Ms Blatchford on CBC Newsworld's "The Hour":
http://www.cbc.ca/thehour/video.php?id=1787

Mark
Ottawa

Christie Blatchford on the Rock--audio from CBC Radio and Television in Newfoundland.  "Babylon with cellphones."
http://www.cbc.ca/nl/media/video/blatchford.ram

Moving.

Mark
Ottawa

Back