• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Few ?'s (looking to be Weapons Tech)

S

SteelMag

Hi Guys

Im sorry if any of this has been covered before.  Ive been lurking these forums for about a year now, just reading and gleaning information as i plan to join up in the regs once i complete my GED.

Up until now i had been confused as too what i would like to do in the army.  Well about two weeks ago that changed, i managed to get into the OPP GHQ in Orillia ON, too get an idea what its like to be a gunsmith/armourer on a goverment level.  Needless to say id never had as much fun in my life doing something that someone considers a career. (and i saw more SIG P-229 than anyone should see in one day). Anyways after speaking with the staff about how they came about being sucessful in the gunsmithing field, i found that the one guy who i was job-shadowing started off in the army and was a Land Weapons Tech, since there is no real gunsmithing schools in this country (near me anyways), it seems that the only way to break into the field is to join the army and learn there, or find someone willing to apprentice you.  Ive made my mind up on the former and i am just waiting for an oppritunity to get down the Barrie and talk to someone at the CFRC.  I was just wondering if you guys have any tips for me or any idea how competitive the trade is to get into in the army.  My second choices on the application were Armour and Infantry.  Do you guys think they will stick me in infantry first as i have no real skillsets that apply to gunsmithing?  And how long is the process nowadays.  I see ppl complaining that it takes years and others are in after a month. 

Thanks in advance guys!  :salute: :cdn:

I know exactly the guy you were talking to, or at least i believe i do.

To be competitive as an applicant. Get high marks on your aptitude, have a clean criminal and drug background, do well on your PT,(pushups situps etc...) and have a great interview. Make a good impression.

To make sure you application process goes smoothly, make sure to follow up with every test or process with a phone call. Keep informed and in touch with the CFRC. Also have all your paperwork on time and photo copied for your own record. *just in case, and you can refer back to it*

Thanks.

I belive the guys name was Ian but i will double check.  I have no criminal background (hence i was able to get into the OPP in the first place i had to get Criminal Background Check and do oath at the GHQ), and i stopped doing drugs (pot) a while ago.  Im hoping i will be able to get in that trade.  But i heard from him that i may have to do Infantry or Armour for a while until i can transfer.  He says the Armed Forces are usually in need of weapons techs due to few ppl being interested in the field.  BTW i heard you guys pretty much fix everything not just weapons.  From 25mm cannons on LAV's down to field kitchens.

Its true....

we can do anything from coleman stoves and lanters all the way up to the big arty guns, lavs and hydraulic systems. All depends on whats needed. Really a Weapons Tech is a Jack of all trades. You'll probably even fix a CF bike every once in a while. Not to mention working on safes and locks.

I dont really know about having to do armoured or infantry work before the trade. Infact i highly doubt that. But there is deffinatley a need for weapons tech in the forces. In regards to that you would be better off asking someone that works at your local CFRC

Thanks for the info, youve been helpful. 

I will go too the CFRC.

...........There are official CF bikes?

no prob

well they aren't offically CF
but they were purchased by the CF ;)

Back