• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Feud over cash leaves soldiers' children waiting for special care

observor 69

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
Globe and Mail

Feud over cash leaves soldiers' children waiting for special care

Petawawa families coping with stress, anxiety disorders as Ottawa, Ontario squabble over who's responsible for bill

By ALEX DOBROTA 

Thursday, March 1, 2007 – Page A1

OTTAWA -- More than 40 children of soldiers serving in Afghanistan who suffered mental trauma in their parents' absence are being denied therapists as the provincial and federal governments squabble over who should pay.

The children must wait as long as four months to receive care for conditions ranging from attention deficit disorder to anxiety and suicidal thoughts, Ontario mental health professionals said yesterday at a news conference.

"I see them as invisible children," said Greg Lubimiv, a therapist and the executive director of the Phoenix Centre for Children and Families, which serves Renfrew County, including CFB Petawawa.

"They're invisible to politicians, they're invisible to the bureaucrats and they're invisible to the community."

Since last year, when Canadian soldiers started fighting and dying in the southern Kandahar province of Afghanistan, about 90 military families sought help at the Phoenix Centre, up from 10 in 2005.

The surge has stretched the resources of the already underfinanced centre and has increased the average wait to see a therapist to about four months, Mr. Lubimiv said.

He said he petitioned both Queen's Park and Ottawa for more funds. But so far, his requests have fallen on deaf ears, as the two governments are pointing at each other.

The Department of National Defence looks after the mental and physical health care of soldiers only, said Lieutenant-Colonel Dave Rundle, commander of CFB Petawawa.

"There's no mandate to provide these services to the family members," Col. Rundle said.

Mary Anne Chambers, Ontario's Minister of Children and Youth Services, said she is not willing to clean up the damage wrought by a federal venture. "It's a direct consequence of federal government initiatives," she said.

Ms. Chambers said she raised the budget for children's mental health care to $467-million, a $38-million increase since 2004, when the Liberal government came into office in Ontario.

But Mr. Lubimiv said this translated into only a 3-per-cent increase in his centre's $1.5-million budget, not nearly enough to cover the surge in demands for assistance since last year.

"If they want to squabble, give the money and then fight with the [federal] government if you want to get it back," Mr. Lubimiv said. "The children have been politicized in this and, in the end, they're not getting the service that they need."

A spokesperson for federal Health Minister Tony Clement said he is ready to talk to his provincial counterpart, but reiterated that mental health care is a provincial responsibility.

With no resolution in sight and with more than 500 soldiers from Petawawa set to deploy in Afghanistan soon, parents on the base are starting to lose patience.

"We're being told to wait, but with the wait there are more problems," said Cindy Patry, who lives on the base with her eight-year-old daughter and her six-year-old twins.

Ms. Patry decided to seek psychological help for her son, Daniel, as she tucked him into bed last January, days after her husband returned to Afghanistan to complete his tour of duty.

That night, in a rare moment of respite from the daily bouts of screaming and crying that had turned the family home into a battlefield during his father's absence, Daniel looked at his mother and quietly said: "Mommy, I don't want Daddy to die."

Within weeks, Ms. Patry was talking to a therapist at the Phoenix Centre. Her case was judged a "crisis" and was treated faster than most, as Daniel's aggressiveness and mood swings had reached a point of no return.

"I didn't know where to go any more," the mother said.

Frank Patry, a corporal with Petawawa's 2 Service Battalion, had left for Afghanistan in August and served there when Canadian troops attacked the Taliban in Operation Medusa, suffering heavy casualties.

Talk of death and injury trickled into Daniel's classroom. And Cpl. Patry, who finished his tour of duty unharmed, returned home last Thursday to discover the damage the war had wrought on his family.

"It's kind of frustrating," he said yesterday. "I get all the help I need and it seems that you have to fight to get help for your family, which is not right."

edited to fix spelling in title

I thought the whole point of member in Ontario paying into the provincial health care system was so the non-military members of their family would have access to the province's health care system?  It seems to me that the Ontario gov't wants the dollars but doesn't want to provide the services.

Baden  Guy said:
Mary Anne Chambers, Ontario's Minister of Children and Youth Services, said she is not willing to clean up the damage wrought by a federal venture. "It's a direct consequence of federal government initiatives," she said.

She's denying health care to troops' children because she disagrees with the Afghan mission - - WTF??
Does she get to decide whether cancer treatment gets funded depending on how she feels about the Philip Morris tobacco company?

Health care is a provincial responsibility.

Oh right, she's a Liberal Minister and the Federal government is Conservative, so it's "just politics" that military kids don't get treatment.

Sickening.

I've seen this year after year in every province. They love to tax the military member just like any other resident of the province but when it comes time to provide a service...we are federal employees.
I ran into this when I needed surgery in Alberta. The province prescribed ENT Surgeon was pissed(and went to the media) because I wasnt willing to wait 8 months for surgery and the base sent me to a cash only private sector ENT with no wait time.
The bottom line was: Dependants are provincial, Military members are not.

It's typical of the approach that the lieberals, provincial or federal, have taken in response to the Harper government. They care naught for the people, only the political stabs they can make. This is the same self serving bunch that put a health tax on us, after lying again, and saying they wouldn't. They can't bitch about medicare, they've already created their own two tier system. The civilian parents of these poor kids should start a class action suit against the Ontario gov't and take it straight to the Supreme Court. Let's see how fast the country's 'journalistas' jump on this one. Mary Ann Chambers should be at the chow in front of McQuinty getting her pink slip right now. All this after they gave themselves a 25% raise recently. Guess they didn't leave enough cash in the coffers for the people that put it there. Sooner or later Ontario voters will wake up and take off the rose coloured glasses. Hopefully, sooner than later.

How about this ? We elect politicans, federal and provincial, to deal with these kind of issues.

So fix it!!!  Can't both ministers get together, study the issue and find a solution.

Reminds me of my late departed mother in law. "Dam politicans they're all the same....bunch of dam crooks."

Not saying I buy the crooks part but the "dam politicans " is sounding closer to reality all the time.  :(

Wow, another politician with a severe case of headupbuttitis.  I suppose that if non-military family's children were to begin have evidence of the stress of seeing the MSM relentlessly and sensationally cover the events of 9/11, Iraq, Afghanistan, Africa, Lebanon to name a few that she might have to admit we live in very unsettling times and our children will pay the price eventually as spectators.  Will she blame the feds then?

I have dealt with this agency on numerous occasions and while they parcel out money to social agencies such as the CAS, developmental and group homes for children with special needs, they don't like to advocate of behalf of their constituents - children.  Some would argue that the ministry is a duplication of services - education, health, AG. This ministry leads a precarious existence and comments such as Chambers will give rise to its demise.  Sadly, children's mental health is woefully overlooked at the best of times, it's almost as if we as a culture don't want to admit we are doing things to harm our children's well being.  Rix Rogers in his 1990, report on Child Welfare, predicted that we would be raising a nation of damaged children because of the lack of priorities in health and education.  He was dismissed by politicians not for his predictions and data, but because it would just simply cost too much.  So once again , this ministry's response does not surprise me.  

I had a conversation with a child psychologist the other day and there was mention of some extended programs through a few of the universities.  I shall verify what those programs are and who they are available for and their location (Ottawa for sure) and post the info.  Perhaps that might help a few of the families.    

LeonTheNeon        Sadly its not always the case the Ontario health care even with the new tax only covers the basic health services  .        I wear glasses and at one point used to be able to get a yearly eye appointment covered under OHIP but not any more  I have to pay out of my own money for any thing to do with my eyes  .                I feel for these children  they need the help that has been described in the article I think the gov should cover the cost  so that way they can get back on the road to recovery .

Shameful........disgusting really, putting politics before children.  Who the **** is this minister to decide under what circumstances the psychological injury was incurred are to be eligible.

recceguy said:
The civilian parents of these poor kids should start a class action suit against the Ontario gov't and take it straight to the Supreme Court. Let's see how fast the country's 'journalistas' jump on this one.

+1

In the meantime can't parents access private therapy with a child psychologist and be reimbursed through the PSHCP (SunLife).  I believe we are covered for up to $1000 per year for counselling.  That would probably cover 5 or 6 sessions, no?

EDIT; for grammar

Ombudsman probes plight of traumatized Forces children

Globe & Mail

By ALEX DOBROTA 

Friday, March 2, 2007 – Page A9

OTTAWA -- Ontario's Ombudsman has dispatched investigators to find out why children of soldiers serving in Afghanistan who suffered mental trauma in their parents' absence are being denied therapists.

Officials with Ombudsman André Marin's special response team will question Ontario public servants and staff of the province's Minister of Children and Youth Services in the next few weeks.

Mr. Marin called the investigation yesterday after The Globe and Mail reported more than 40 children on and around CFB Petawawa are waiting to receive psychological care as the provincial and federal governments squabble over who should pay.

"We've got 40 children who are suffering from psychological trauma and you've got, essentially, both levels of government washing their hands of it," Mr. Marin said in an interview. "I'm concerned. We have soldiers overseas who need to be able to focus on their mission who are concerned with their families back home."

Because the military pays for only the care of its soldiers, families living on CFB Petawawa have resorted to the Phoenix Centre for Families and Children in a nearby town.

Since last year, when Canadian soldiers started fighting and dying in Afghanistan's southern province of Kandahar, about 90 military families from Petawawa sought help at the centre, up from 10 in 2005.

The surge in demand stretched the centre's resources and drove waiting times up to four months, executive director Greg Lubimiv said. He said he petitioned Ottawa and Queen's Park, but his requests for more funding were not met.

Mental care for children is traditionally a responsibility of the provincial government. And members of the Canadian Forces in Ontario are required to pay a provincial health tax brought in by the McGuinty government in 2004, although the soldiers do not receive care from the province.

Mr. Lubimiv complained to the provincial Ombudsman yesterday. But Mary Anne Chambers, Ontario's Minister of Children and Youth, remained firm in her views.

In an interview yesterday, Ms. Chambers said her government has no funds to clean up the damage wrought by a federal initiative. "It's only fair for them [the federal government] to look at the consequences of Canada's men and women serving abroad and what happens while they are away and also what could happen when they come back home," she said.

Nonsense, replied federal Minister of Health Tony Clement.

"To suggest that because a child's mother or father chooses to serve his or her country in Afghanistan . . . the children do not get available mental- health services, I find that entirely regrettable and, in fact, reprehensible," Mr. Clement said in the lobby of the House of Commons.

The children suffer from disorders ranging from attention deficit disorder and anxiety to suicidal thoughts, Mr. Lubimiv said.

Peter Suedfeld, a psychology professor at the University British Columbia, said the mental trauma suffered by children of soldiers usually tapers off by adulthood.

"But, yes, if the family asks for support, they should get it," Prof. Suedfeld said.

Mr. Marin said his office is working to issue a report on the matter within 30 days.

Ontario's Ombudsman has dispatched investigators to find out why children of soldiers serving in Afghanistan who suffered mental trauma in their parents' absence are being denied therapists.

Nice!

However, it will be interesting to see how the Premiere reacts, hopefully BYEBYE Chambers.

It is a shame, that a person who coins herself such a champion to community and children would allow partisan politics to interfere with government policies.  Oh ya that's right, this does not involve innercity youths in a major city, where big media can see her.

dileas

tess

x-zipperhead said:
In the meantime can't parents access private therapy with a child psychologist and be reimbursed through the PSHCP (SunLife).  I believe we are covered for up to $1000 per year for counselling.  That would probably cover 5 or 6 sessions, no?

I know non-profits in my community who offer counselling to full-pay clients charge about $85/hour, so I hope $1000 can buy more than 5 or 6 sessions.

As much as the provincial politicians want to look like crusaders for their cause, it all comes down to money - who pays.  Actually, it's even easier being a crusader when there's the prospect of another level of government (higher or lower) to pay for your crusade.

Weird part, though, is that in the end, there's only really ONE taxpayer - one pocket to draw from, many envelopes to give money to, so to speak.

Whatever happens, hope the families get the help they need.

Baden  Guy said:
Because the military pays for only the care of its soldiers, families living on CFB Petawawa have resorted to the Phoenix Centre for Families and Children in a nearby town.
This should read "Because military families pay the OHIP premiums, families living on CFB Petawawa have gone to the Phoenix Centre for Families and Children in a nearby town."

karl28 said:
I wear glasses and at one point used to be able to get a yearly eye appointment covered under OHIP but not any more  I have to pay out of my own money for any thing to do with my eyes  . 

Carl,
In Quebec, when the Gov't was talking about cutting eye exams from medicare to adults 18-45 the opticians & optometrists came out & said, no problem, we'll absorb that in the cost of glasses.  Medicare isn't stupid, the next year, they come back and drop the 45-60 year olds. Optos raise hue & cry to which the Gov't turned around and asked for explanation about how it was ok to include the 18-45 but not ok for the 45-60... Optos shut up real fast.

Also, most group health packages people have at work & school include eye exams - so the Gov't doesn't see a need to offer duplicate services,

Alrighty, some info on what parents could do to assist their child in the Ottawa area.

1) The four month waiting period is unfortunately the norm right now across the province.  However, once a child has been assessed to be in need, the wait time will/may be significantly reduced.

1 a).  Documentation is important so have your child seen by your primary care physician first to rule out any pathological causes for the child's behavior changes. 

2) If the parent wants OHIP to pay for the therapy, then they will be required to be referred to CHEO in Ottawa by their primary care physician.  The wait list is as mentioned about 4 months. If CHEO deems they can not provide services fr the child they will make reccommendations as to where the parent can go for help.

3) If the parent has suitable Health care insurance, they will also need a referral by their primary care physician in order for the insurance to cover the costs.  The doctor can along with the parent, decide who the referral will be sent to for assessment.

4) If the child is experiencing school/learning disruption, then the local school boards will make a referral for the child to be assessed through the school board. 

5)  Parents can if they feel they are in dire need of intervention, go directly to a child psychologist and the CPA has a list of all practicing clinicians in the province. The parents will be responsible for the cost of each session. 

5a) If any child is imminently at risk to themselves or others, then seek medical intervention through your local hospital's emergency room.

The CPA is being consulted right now by the province and if parents groups want their opinions and concerns heard, contact the CPA.     

This information was provided by Dr. Digout Erhardt, Child Psychologist, Ottawa.  (I will if it's ok the admin, post a direct link to the Ottawa area Child Psychologist's website.  I'm hesitant as it may be construed as advertising.  So can an Admin let me know? thanks)

Guys,
I am baffled.... Isn't OHIP being deducted from the military member's paycheque?

If you are paying OHIP fees, there should be an obligation by Ontario Health care to look after those who are paying.... or have I missed something?

In my case, I pay no Quebec FSS but my wife does @ work & that covers her & the boy.

niner domestic said:
3) If the parent has suitable Health care insurance, they will also need a referral by their primary care physician in order for the insurance to cover the costs.  The doctor can along with the parent, decide who the referral will be sent to for assessment.

All of the ugly politics and BS aside, if I were in the situation this is the route I would go.  We all, as military, are covered for this under PSHCP.

If you have a particular "horror story" about not getting the help you need, here's some info that might help:

1)  For dealing with the larger political picture, check out contact info for the Premier's Office and the Minister's office here.

2)  For individual cases, Ontario's 'Budman is looking into it, and likely needs "worst practices" information ammo...

Ombudsman to investigate mental health services for soldiers’ children
News release, Ombudsman Ontario, 1 Mar 07
Link

TORONTO (March 1, 2007) – Ontario Ombudsman André Marin today announced he is launching an investigation into a complaint that the province is failing to ensure the provision of mental health services to children of Canadian soldiers.

“I have received a complaint alleging that children whose parents are serving in Afghanistan aren’t getting access to therapy and other care,” said the Ombudsman. “While our soldiers are serving our country overseas, we want to swiftly investigate these allegations to ensure that their families here in Ontario are receiving the support that they deserve.”

The Ombudsman’s office served notice of the investigation to the Ministry of Children and Youth Services, which is responsible for children’s mental health care, under Section 18(1) of the Ombudsman Act.

The investigation has been assigned to the Special Ombudsman’s Response Team (SORT). Anyone who has information that may be relevant to this investigation may contact the SORT team using the Information Form at www.ombudsman.ca or by calling 1-866-623-SORT (7678).

-30-

Good luck to those needing the help, and trying to get the system to respond - let us know how it goes.

The latest - some good news by the looks of it, shared with the usual disclaimer...

Ombudsman’s intervention resolves mental health services crisis for children of Ontario soldiers serving in Afghanistan
Ombudsman Ontario news release, 13 Apr 07
News release - Backgrounder

Traumatized children of Ontario soldiers serving in Afghanistan will get the mental health services they need in the wake of the latest investigation by Ombudsman André Marin. Premier Dalton McGuinty has accepted the Ombudsman’s recommendations that the province ensure funding of such services for children of soldiers based at CFB Petawawa, Mr. Marin announced today.

Mr. Marin’s investigation into what he called a “crisis” situation at Petawawa found that the Phoenix Centre for Children and Families, which provides mental health services in the region, was in dire need of funding and staff to help the community cope with a tenfold increase in cases of war-related anxiety and psychological problems among soldiers’ families. Aiding these children is the province’s responsibility, he said.

“These children are the collateral damage of the war we have asked their parents to fight,” said Mr. Marin. “We can and should be doing more for them.”

The Phoenix Centre’s request last fall for $536,250 over two years was initially turned down by the Ministry of Children and Youth Services, which urged the centre to seek federal government help instead, stating that the children’s problems were the result of a federal military commitment.

The Ombudsman’s investigation confirmed that while health services for military members are a federal responsibility – and while the federal government has a moral obligation to support its troops – the province is solely responsible for mental health services for Ontario children, regardless of their parents’ occupation. The probe also found that children across Ontario are enduring long waits for mental health services, competing for slivers of a small funding pie. “There was no provision for dealing with a crisis situation like Petawawa’s, where 16 members of the community have been killed and 80 wounded in Afghanistan since last summer – and every child of a soldier lives with the fear that his or her parent could be next,” said Mr. Marin. “One mental health professional likened it to a tornado hitting the community several times a week.”

Mr. Marin made three recommendations to the province: That it immediately fund children’s mental health services through the Phoenix Centre, that it ensure long-term support for the children of military personnel in consultation with the federal government, and that it provide the Ombudsman with monthly progress reports.

In response to the Ombudsman’s recommendations, the government immediately announced a $2-million emergency fund to provide children’s mental health support for communities in crisis such as Petawawa, and committed to providing the Phoenix Centre with the budget required to meet military families’ counselling needs. It has also entered into discussions with federal National Defence representatives, and agreed to report back to the Ombudsman. “I will look forward to receiving monthly status reports until the waiting list for treatment at the Phoenix Centre has been eliminated,” Mr. Marin said.

The investigation, launched March 1, was conducted by the Special Ombudsman Response Team (SORT), which interviewed more than 20 key stakeholders, including soldiers’ families, base personnel, and Phoenix Centre staff, as well as officials at the Ministry of Children and Youth Services and at the federal departments of National Defence, Health and Human Resources and Social Development. The team also examined how mental health services are funded for children on military bases in other provinces. Given the urgency of the situation in Petawawa, Mr. Marin said he was pleased to be able to resolve the situation without publishing a formal report ....

Ontario agrees to fund mental-health services for soldiers' children
Canadian Press, 13 Apr 07
Article link

OTTAWA (CP) - The Ontario government has agreed to fund a mental-health services centre that helps children of soldiers deployed in Afghanistan cope with the stress of the war.

The move comes following a scathing report Friday by the province's ombudsman, Andre Marin, who says the provincial government cannot shirk responsibility for such services.

Marin launched an investigation last month after receiving a complaint that the children of parents serving in Afghanistan aren't getting access to therapy and other care.

Children living in Canadian Forces Base Petawawa, Ont., have had trouble coping with the trauma of parents away in the war zone, and with the death of their parents in Afghanistan.

The Ontario government had balked at funding the service, saying it was a federal responsibility because of the Afghan war, while Ottawa insisted mental-health services are paid for by the provinces.

Marin, previously the ombudsman for the Canadian Forces, says children are suffering and need help.

He also took a shot at the federal government, saying it may not have a constitutional responsibility, but it has a moral obligation to take care of soldiers and their families.

© The Canadian Press, 2007

Back