• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Female considering applying, any discrimination for promotions?

navyelle

Inactive
Reaction score
First post, sorry if I'm doing this in the wrong spot, not quite sure what category would work best.

I'm strongly considering applying to the navy (steward, but recently starting thinking about boatswain) after I finish my college diploma next august. As I currently live with my parents, I decided to voice my ideas to them. My mother was teary but she thought it might be good for me, even if the only boats I've ever been on before were cruise ships, but my father was a completely different story.

He started ranting about mind control, corruption, illegal smuggling, decaying of morals, etc., anything you can think of. What really ticked me off the most was how his aunt had joined in the 70's or 80's and hated it, and was never promoted because she was female. That was over 30 years ago. Please, tell me things have changed. I think he gets most of his information from the American army.

What I'm asking: Is there heavy discrimination against females? Will my hardcore feminist soul be shattered in the Navy?

I'm still fairly new to the Navy, but I see no reason to be concerned. I work with female stewards and female bos'uns. It's not like there's a fifty-fifty split, but you're not likely to be the only one. People really don't care about your gender or your politics, they care about how well you do your job.

Your father should try meeting some members, with an open mind, if you really want him to get on board with your plan. We're all just people.

PM me if you have any questions.

Being a female minority, your concerns ran through my mind at the beginning as well. However, I decided to just push that little voice aside and go on with the process; I figured my experience, character, and work should be the basis of judgement and future promotions. I can't speak for the Navy and discrimination, etc. on the job as I'm still an Officer Cadet for a land occupation awaiting Basic, but throughout my application process until now, I've never felt discriminated against, harassed, looked down on, etc. My recruiting detachment was amazing and always willing to help, as were/are current members.

As for promotions, I am surprisingly receiving an automatic promotion to Lieutenant (instead of Second Lieutenant) after the completion of BMOQ for my education, and am slated for a promotion to Captain in 2018 if all goes well. Everything is all fine and dandy now, so I have no major worries.

PM me as well if you have any other concerns. Good luck.  :salute:

Thank you very much for all your help, I really appreciate it  :)

Luckily I have a year to prepare my parents, and also myself. I'll probably be posting other questions on the forums, but I'm happy to say I'm satisfied with your responses. Glad to know that the Forces have moved out of the 20th century.

Wish you both a good weekend,

Nick

We have a friend of the family who is an officer in the navy. She went to rotp and made the rank of major before age 30. She has done very well for herself so if you do your job well it shouldn't be a factor.

There is no discrimination on promotion based on sex, doing so would be in violation to more Canadian and Military rights/laws then you could imagine.

Promotion is solely based on qualification, time in rank, meriting, and a few other variables.

Do your job well, better than others in your position, have enough time in, and stay out of trouble are your best bets.

Also don't try to climb the ranks too fast, having a high rank doesn't mean you know what you are doing. I have worked with Captains who have been in their rank for 10+years, working in different places with different people; and they are more competent and more reliable than some Colonels I have worked with.

Back